Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
HELP!

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 8:42 am
My baby is 11 months old and will NOT sleep if hes not either holding on to me for dear life or nursing all night. I never have the luxury of just putting my kid to sleep at 730-8 and leaving him w a babysitter or just do my housework. It's a struggle every single night. If I just go near the crib with him he starts screaming, he doesn't last more then an hour in the carriage, and basically he just parties all night and then comes to sleep w moma! this has to stop! My pediatrician said the only way to train is to let him cry in the crib for even 5 hours. I've tried it a few times but he's SOO stubborn after 2 hours he still wasn't sleeping or even layng! he just sits in the crib and cries and cries.. Will this ever end???? Any suggestions?

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:35 am
That is tough. I have some kids who were not sleepers and it was really not fun.

Our old pediatrician also told me to let dd scream, no matter how long it lasts. Well, she screamed for 3 1/5 hours, then slept 15 minutes. It took some time for me to realize that the doctor can't make our house rules for us. If dh and I both don't believe in cio, then we won't do cio. We've been much better at this sleep thing once felt comfortable telling the doctor that we don't have to listen to him.

Our next doctor said to put a baby into a room alone every night at 7:30 starting at 2 months old and don't come back until 7 am. B"H I knew not to pay that any attention.

So the question is, are you really comfortable with letting your baby cry that long, or do you feel like you have to just because the doctor said so? I recommend looking into the No Cry Sleep Solution and other techniques. Find a method you are comfortable with.

Then comes the big leap called consistency. Once you've chosen a good method, you start working on it, and you stick with it no matter how long it takes. Warning: It may take time, so make sure you are choosing a method that you are really okay with.

A consistent bedtime routine is important. A warm bath, deep pressure massage and a bedtime story are all things you may want to incorporate into his bedtime routine.

Some babies are just bad sleepers. Not all babies do well with sleep training at all. If it comes to that, you may just have to find a way to survive until he learns how to sleep better.

smss

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:38 am
I second the recommendation for the no cry sleep solution. great book, lots of good info.

I also found that CIO both didn't work and was heartbreaking for me.

aycg

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:39 am
smss wrote:
I second the recommendation for the no cry sleep solution. great book, lots of good info.

I also found that CIO both didn't work and was heartbreaking for me.

which book?

smss

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:42 am
akivasmom wrote:
which book?

http://www.amazon.com/The-No-C.....81392

aycg

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:47 am
smss wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/The-No-Cry-Sleep-Solution-Through/dp/0071381392

thanks! Order is already placed!!! (notice how desperate I am)

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:53 am
I have a 4 1/2 month old that sounds like your baby. I use the no cry sleep solution, although it hasn't yet helped him sleep better (been doing her method for a week only)... but he goes down easier.

We introduced a nice relaxing bed time routine at the same time every night - it's quick but effective - change diaper and into pjs, turn lights off (only nightlight enough to read but only just) swaddle, nurse, read book, back rub and sing hamalach hagoel while rocking = 20 mins total) He now asks for milk when I swaddle him, and goes to sleep much quicker - his eyes start to close while I rock him and then I put him down before he is asleep so he does the 'going to sleep' bit himself. It used to take us 2 hours of crying/rocking/nursing etc. to get him to sleep.

I found that having the pressure of giving him a bath every night would have been to stressful for me, so I chose not to incorporate it into the bedtime routine, but it's meant to help.

aycg

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:56 am
amother wrote:
I have a 4 1/2 month old that sounds like your baby. I use the no cry sleep solution, although it hasn't yet helped him sleep better (we've been doing her method for a week only)... but he goes down easier.

We introduced a nice relaxing bed time routine at the same time every night - it's quick but effective - change diaper and into pjs, turn lights off (only nightlight enough to read but only just) swaddle, nurse, read book, back rub and sing hamalach hagoel while rocking = 20 mins total) He now asks for milk when I swaddle him, and goes to sleep much quicker. It used to take us 2 hours to get him to sleep.

can you write in short on how the no cry sleep solution works?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 12:01 pm
http://www.pantley.com/elizabe.....2.php

A breakthrough approach for a good night's sleep--with no tears

There are two schools of thought for encouraging babies to sleep through the night: the hotly debated Ferber technique of letting the baby "cry it out," or the grin-and-bear-it solution of getting up from dusk to dawn as often as necessary. If you don't believe in letting your baby cry it out, but desperately want to sleep, there is now a third option, presented in Elizabeth Pantley's sanity-saving book The No-Cry Sleep Solution

Pantley's successful solution has been tested and proven effective by scores of mothers and their babies from across the United States, Canada, and Europe. Based on her research, Pantley's guide provides you with effective strategies to overcoming naptime and nighttime problems. The No-Cry Sleep Solution offers clearly explained, step-by-step ideas that steer your little ones toward a good night's sleep--all with no crying.

Tips from The No-Cry Sleep Solution:

Uncover the stumbling blocks that prevent baby from sleeping through the night

Determine--and work with--baby's biological sleep rhythms

Create a customized, step-by-step plan to get baby to sleep through the night

Use the Persistent Gentle Removal System to teach baby to fall asleep without breast-feeding, bottlefeeding, or using a pacifier

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Whether baby sleeps in a crib or the family bed, The No-Cry Sleep Solution is full of supportive, encouraging and sensible ideas that respect the needs of both the baby and the parents. It reflects the fact that each family is unique and requires more than a one-size-fits-all solution to sleep issues. Parents will welcome Elizabeth Pantley's empathic insight and parenting experience.”
~Judy Arnall, Founder, Whole Family Attachment Parenting Association

smss

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 12:24 pm
akivasmom wrote:
can you write in short on how the no cry sleep solution works?

basically, you slowly wean the baby off his sleep associations and teach them how to fall asleep by themselves. it's not fast but it does eventually work with most babies without leaving them to CIO.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics