Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Would you do zumba w male instructor
1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 12:30 pm
Currently my mixed gym only has male instructors for zumba, and I would really like to do a zumba class. Im not sure if its appropriate, even though I am dressed fully tzinus.
We are oot and there are no wlmans gyms.

Opinions? Would you do it?

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 12:31 pm
No

monseychick

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 12:34 pm
I wouldn't think about male gyms, it would be pogam my kedisha

I don't even go to stores

I meditate and the food just appears

shlomitsmum

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 12:34 pm
a no for me . but ask your Rav

Last edited by shlomitsmum on Tue, Nov 11 2014, 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 12:35 pm
I would not

Heyaaa

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 12:47 pm
monseychick wrote:

It wasn't a crazy question. She's asking about a dancing class.

I personally won't go to a mixed exercise class but I understand why some don't think it's an issue. I don't understand why someone would judge someone who won't.

ETA: I realized that it could be read in a way that I sound like I'm trying to be snarky. I don't mean to be and I apologize if I come off that way.

Last edited by Heyaaa on Tue, Nov 11 2014, 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

nyer1

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 12:47 pm
I wouldn't. But it's about your comfort level.
I bet if enough women requested it, they would add a female to the roster

Odelyah

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 12:58 pm
If I needed it for my health, I would probably do it especially if it was a big crowd in a big room and I could stand towards the back behind other women, not right in front of the instructor. If there were other men in the class though that would be more of a problem, but if I could position myself somewhere in the room where they were facing away from me I would probably still do it if there wasn't a good female-only option.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 1:00 pm
You have to move kinda s-xy, shaking your chest and all that. I don't think it would be tznius...

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 1:32 pm
No. I would do another form of exercise at the gym, or do zumba from a DVD. Or maybe there are enough women to form an independent zumba class.

dr. pepper

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 1:36 pm
Heyaaa wrote:
It wasn't a crazy question. She's asking about a dancing class.

I personally won't go to a mixed exercise class but I understand why some don't think it's an issue. I don't understand why someone would judge someone who won't.

ETA: I realized that it could be read in a way that I sound like I'm trying to be snarky. I don't mean to be and I apologize if I come off that way.

I agree. I think that response was unnecessary.
I don't think I would personally.
If I really felt it was affecting my physical or emotional health, I'd discuss it first with DH to see if he's okay or uncomfortable with it and then a rav with whom I have a rapport with.

I have a friend that lives near the ocean. She was going through a difficult time and really wanted to run on the boardwalk. In discussing it with her husband and his Rosh Yeshiva, the final answer came back than running early in the morning and for her mental and physical health, it was fine.

debsey

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 1:41 pm
I wouldn't. And something from your post sounds like you feel uneasy about it.

Like other posters here, I'd
1) ask the gym if they are planning on hiring a female zumba instructor - I bet there are others who would also like a class led by a girl. Many women feel silly doing zumba, and some might be intimidated by a male instructor.
2) Buy a zumba DVD, invite friends over, and do it together
3) Buy the Zumba game for your Wii or X-box or whatever.....
4) Chalk it up as something you are foregoing for your tznius, and feel proud that you have the fortitude to do that.

debsey

devash1

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 1:48 pm
Definitely not. Ive taken a few classes and I'm not even comfortable moving like that in front of other women.

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 2:01 pm
Unless he were gay, I'd feel too self-conscious.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 3:09 pm
Yes,I don't see the difference between that and going to a male physical therapist, for example.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 3:14 pm
amother wrote:
Yes,I don't see the difference between that and going to a male physical therapist, for example.

Why amother?

No I wouldn't.

Last edited by groisamomma on Tue, Nov 11 2014, 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 3:32 pm
monseychick wrote:

The way I translate this into non-sarcastic, it sounds like this: Of course I would have no problem with a male zumba instructor. The only people who would be crazy enough to have a problem with that are the ones who outlaw everything. They probably wouldn't go to a store either. They are really nuts.

My response, like basically everyone else's on this thread, is no, I would not attend a zumba class with a male instructor. I know, I'm really nuts, right? We are all nuts except for Monseychick.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 3:38 pm
amother wrote:

Really?? Do you shake your chest and wiggle the waggle while at your therapist too? Dancing Dancing Dancing

cityofgold

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 3:42 pm
This is the kind of question you'd get better responses from friends in your community than imamother. The board is too diverse. The answers won't necessarily be relevant to you.

monseychick

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 3:50 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
The way I translate this into non-sarcastic, it sounds like this: Of course I would have no problem with a male zumba instructor. The only people who would be crazy enough to have a problem with that are the ones who outlaw everything. They probably wouldn't go to a store either. They are really nuts.

My response, like basically everyone else's on this thread, is no, I would not attend a zumba class with a male instructor. I know, I'm really nuts, right? We are all nuts except for Monseychick.

No, what I am saying from life experience is the ones that go to the nth degree in tznius are the same ones that act like cruel disgusting animals when it comes to schools and destroy children's lives.
I witness it daily in my job.

So I am really not impress by all your frumma garbage and Hashem isn't either...
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics