Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Would you do zumba w male instructor
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

groisamomma

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 8:27 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, I use amother when I will give an answer that will be judged and I don't want it to be associated with my username. Sorry that you are so curious as to who I am, but I will not give you the pleasure.

Awwww, how will I sleep tonight dear amother?

You shouldn't care what people think of your choices. If you (or your dh or rav, or whoever) decided that it's okay for you then who cares what anyone else thinks?

dr. pepper

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 8:30 pm
fmt4 wrote:
Why did she have to ask a rabbi if she could go running alone? Am I missing something?

She wasn't sure she felt comfortable with running out in the open and public. Similar to the idea of what the OP is questioning.
In discussing it her husband, they decided to bring the question to his Rav that they are close with. It was like going for an eitza. Not a psak halacha.
This is the world I grew up in. My family and in law family all do this.
It's about looking for an outside objective opinion from someone you trust and look up to.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 9:18 pm
Op here. thanks for the responses. I wasnt 100% comfortable, so I decided Im not going to do it.

Also, monseychick, chill out... If I go to a mixed gym, then you can already assume im not covering my entire face in and being over the top tznius while walking around the gym for exercise. I'm obviously comfortable going, dressed tzniusly, but working out in a totally not frum environment .

I also happen to be a charedi woman who feels that tznius is very important, and that working out is also important.

cookiejar

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 9:58 pm
monseychick wrote:
I wouldn't think about male gyms, it would be pogam my kedisha

I don't even go to stores

I meditate and the food just appears

This is not funny, you are knocking a very valid question. You are comparing not working out with a male instructor to not being neurotic and not shopping for groceries. She asked a good question - the sarcasm is misplaced.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 10:06 pm
I'll be the one to disagree. I would, though generally the Zumba classes I've been to have female instructors. Op if you already go to a mixed gym and there could be men in the class what's the difference if the instructor is a man?

chaos

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 10:29 pm
I might go to a zumba class with a male instructor. I've never been in a zumba class with a male participants, let alone a male instructor, but my classes weren't explicitly women only. They were open to men, just no men happened to join. I love zumba. I know DVDs at home are always an option, but I know that without a class, I would never wind up doing a DVD at home. It's hard to imagine that the only instructors are male especially since I think that the target audience is female and would likely be more comfortable with a female instructor, but if that were the case, I would rather take the class with a male instructor than not take it at all.

The moves are s-xy, which could be a bit weird. But I don't wear cute form-fitting gym clothes. I wear baggy ugly sweats and I look gross and disheveled when sweating and exercising. There is no way I would look attractive to a male instructor during zumba. And I could stand towards the back of the class just in case.

Volunteer

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:04 pm
Not the same as zumba, but...

I've done a lot of dance training in my life, and most of the teachers are female. IME, the male instructors are either gay or seem like complete creeps. I feel more comfortable with a female teacher, especially since they correct students' form manually, but I would consider a male instructor that I thought was gay.

champion

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 3:45 am
Del

Last edited by champion on Wed, Dec 22 2021, 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 5:14 am
Hi everyone! I'm kinda surprised at the responses here. Though I don't c"v judge or object any of you, I just thought that from such a diverse crowd of women the responses would've been more mixed. I guess it's a great thing so many women are so careful with their tznius. Just to point out a diff angle I'm a member at lucille roberts ( in Flatbush not in some far out of town area where there aren't any other options)which is an all women gym and the Zumba class is given by a male instructor! And let me tell you it's a packed class with many frum women and girls. Again I'm not judging anyone (I personally am not a fan of Zumba. I think it's really weird and definitely untzniusdik steps, but I guess it is a good workout and apparently ppl love it cuz that is the most packed class always!) I always wondered how there can be frum Zumba classes unless those are modified. I'm surprised it wasn't assered like everything else is these days. So just pointing out there are women who are ok with it and very frum ones at that. Btw is no one on imamother a member there? Or are they scared to admit that they join? But kudos to all of you who are ao strong with your tznius!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 7:10 am
Probably not unless zumba was the only activity with no men around.

debsey

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 7:51 am
No judgement here - just want to make a point - there's no halachic exception for "gay." Gay men are male in the eyes of the Torah......

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 7:54 am
I used to be a member at Lucille and I quit when they started hiring male instructors.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 7:59 am
Gay may or not affect a psak, it definitely affects someone hesitating.

debsey

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 8:26 am
Ruchel wrote:
Gay may or not affect a psak, it definitely affects someone hesitating.

I know that. I'm just pointing it out. It may make someone feel better if she perceives a man as gay, because she thinks that her interactions with him are non-sexualized, but in a halachic context, that subjective feeling does not change anything.

debsey

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 8:27 am
Oh, wow.....our computer censor just made a Freudian slip. relations is not something you can write. non-sexualized - THAT is apparently kosher.... HMMMM.......

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 8:31 am
I would have to drink a lot in order to dance in front of anybody - male or female Cheers Dancing Party

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 8:56 am
debsey wrote:
I know that. I'm just pointing it out. It may make someone feel better if she perceives a man as gay, because she thinks that her interactions with him are non-sexualized, but in a halachic context, that subjective feeling does not change anything.

Yeah I know.

But let me put it this way: If I had asked my rav about a zumba class with a male instructor, and my rav okayed it, I still would feel uncomfortable UNLESS the instructor was gay.

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 9:00 am
gosharuni - gay is not stupido & there are plenty of bi-zexual people whom you might only think are gay [are you going to interview them before you zumba]

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 9:04 am
greenfire wrote:
gosharuni - gay is not stupido & there are plenty of bi-zexual people whom you might only think are gay [are you going to interview them before you zumba]

Of course gay is not stupid! (What did I say that implied that?? )

And no, I don't know how I would know anything about the zxual orientation of the instructor. I was just answering the question in a hypothetical way.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 11:18 am
DrMom wrote:
Yeah I know.

But let me put it this way: If I had asked my rav about a zumba class with a male instructor, and my rav okayed it, I still would feel uncomfortable UNLESS the instructor was gay.

Interesting. I would not do Zumba with a male instructor because I feel it is untNius to dance in front of males and because when I do Zumba I wear tank tops and leggings and no hair covering. The actual doing Zumba in front of a male wouldn't bother me, whether gay or straight.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics