Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Chassidish
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 2:17 pm
Are most of you chassidish?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 2:24 pm
I am! Are you?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 2:27 pm
Nope. There are a large number of modern orthodox posters as well as many Kollel wives.
Are you new here OP? You kind of get to know your audience around here after a while.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 2:27 pm
Nope, I'm not Smile

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 2:29 pm
Seems like the common denominator... Should we make a poll?

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 2:49 pm
I am not at all chassidish, but my in-laws are Satmar.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 3:16 pm
amother wrote:
Nope. There are a large number of modern orthodox posters as well as many Kollel wives.
Are you new here OP? You kind of get to know your audience around here after a while.

Yes I'm chassidish, and yes I'm a kollel wife; what's the contradiction?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 3:27 pm
Most of me is not Chassidish, only my left toe Wink

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 3:28 pm
amother wrote:
Yes I'm chassidish, and yes I'm a kollel wife; what's the contradiction?

Come on, you know that most chassidish men are not long term learners. Most go to work after 1 or 2 kids.

(my family is chassidish and in the minority, as most are still learning 10+ years after wedding.)

Jewishmom8

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 4:13 pm
I'm not Cool

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 4:19 pm
Technically yes. But we are not culturally Chassidush,we are somewhat Yeshivish. In other words, there is no way to put us in a box, nor do we feel the need to be one. My husband is self- made, and I did not grow up Chassidush, but have happily accepted and appreciate where my husband is and how he got there. We will likely settle in an out of town community where my husband may be one of the only ones wearing a Streimel, and we are fine with that.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 4:22 pm
We're all individuals.

Kitten

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 4:29 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
Technically yes. But we are not culturally Chassidush,we are somewhat Yeshivish. In other words, there is no way to put us in a box, nor do we feel the need to be one. My husband is self- made, and I did not grow up Chassidush, but have happily accepted and appreciate where my husband is and how he got there. We will likely settle in an out of town community where my husband may be one of the only ones wearing a Streimel, and we are fine with that.

This is interesting. Being "chassidish" (more like as in being heimish) usually has a strong cultural element. What does it mean for you being chassidish besides your dh wearing a shtreimel? What chassidus are you close too?
I know a few yeshivish people you wear a shtreimel, but they consider themselves yeshivish.

mommyla

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 4:37 pm
amother wrote:

I'm not chassidish, MO, or a kollel wife. Very Happy

boysrus

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 4:55 pm
mommyla wrote:
I'm not chassidish, MO, or a kollel wife. Very Happy

me too
there is a tremendous variety of posters here, from all walks of orthodoxy (including those like me who just dont seem to have a label.)

monseychick

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 4:56 pm
Culturally or for real, Smirk

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 5:06 pm
Kitten wrote:
This is interesting. Being "chassidish" (more like as in being heimish) usually has a strong cultural element. What does it mean for you being chassidish besides your dh wearing a shtreimel? What chassidus are you close too?
I know a few yeshivish people you wear a shtreimel, but they consider themselves yeshivish.

Right. So basically, my DH comes from Chassidim. But his family is MO. He became more Frum through Chassidus (was a Lubavitcher, but that life wasn't for him). But we have no desire to become culturally Chassidush because neither of us will ever be able to hack it and we know that we will never fully be accepted in a really Chassidush community. We are real out of towners, as my SN implies!

Last edited by out-of-towner on Tue, Nov 11 2014, 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

sky

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 5:23 pm
In Lakewood there are chassidim who are long term learners. I have some cousins and neighbors who are, wives cover their sheitels, don't drive, have grandchildren, wear streimels and are still learning, some where striemels.

I am not chassidish. I have heimish blood from my parents, but my husband is most definitely not (even though he is a 10th decedent of the the baal shem tov - do I have any relatives on here?)

sequoia

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 5:48 pm
I am not yet a chossid. I am just a tzaddikes.

kitov

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 5:57 pm
I am jewish.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics