Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Chassidish
Previous  1  2

fmt4

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 6:41 pm
sky wrote:
In Lakewood there are chassidim who are long term learners. I have some cousins and neighbors who are, wives cover their sheitels, don't drive, have grandchildren, wear streimels and are still learning, some where striemels.

I am not chassidish. I have heimish blood from my parents, but my husband is most definitely not (even though he is a 10th decedent of the the baal shem tov - do I have any relatives on here?)

What exactly does "heimish" blood mean? Is it cholent flavored?

sky

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 6:49 pm
fmt4 wrote:
What exactly does "heimish" blood mean? Is it cholent flavored?

Roots are from Hungarian - Czechoslovakian border, pre-war. As is language (Hungarian Yiddish pronunciation), pronunciation (Elokeini vs Elokeinu) and minhagim (rinsing bechor, teffillin and chol hamoed, etc) and davening nusach. And of course the food (stuffed cabbage, kreplach)

Now that I'm married to a yekke I see how many minhagim I grew up had their roots in chassidus.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 8:09 pm
sky wrote:
Roots are from Hungarian - Czechoslovakian border, pre-war. As is language (Hungarian Yiddish pronunciation), pronunciation (Elokeini vs Elokeinu) and minhagim (rinsing bechor, teffillin and chol hamoed, etc) and davening nusach. And of course the food (stuffed cabbage, kreplach)

Now that I'm married to a yekke I see how many minhagim I grew up had their roots in chassidus.

I think people translate "heimishe" in different ways. Firstly- do you say HI=mish or HAY-mish. I use HI, I also say EYE-n, tzvEYE as opposed to AYn, tzvAY
We also are def. not Hungarian.
I feel like being heimishe is being from Europe, from the "alti heim" and maybe not being too "American" (or whatever country you are in).

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 8:18 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
Technically yes. But we are not culturally Chassidush,we are somewhat Yeshivish. In other words, there is no way to put us in a box, nor do we feel the need to be one. My husband is self- made, and I did not grow up Chassidush, but have happily accepted and appreciate where my husband is and how he got there. We will likely settle in an out of town community where my husband may be one of the only ones wearing a Streimel, and we are fine with that.

Ever thought about Chicago???

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 8:24 pm
Many chasidim are Kollel wives! I don't know why you think Chasidim leave Kollel after 1 or 2 kids. Most of my husbands Chaburah are above 30 and are learning in Kollel. And yes I'm chasidish and we lead a Kollel lifestyle.

sky

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 8:27 pm
amother wrote:
I think people translate "heimishe" in different ways. Firstly- do you say HI=mish or HAY-mish. I use HI, I also say EYE-n, tzvEYE as opposed to AYn, tzvAY
We also are def. not Hungarian.
I feel like being heimishe is being from Europe, from the "alti heim" and maybe not being too "American" (or whatever country you are in).

Honestly at this point I'm so confused. My daughter came home counting one way from school in Lakewood and I looked at her cross eyed because it wasn't the way I was taught to count. And my husband pronounces everything different then my father. So at this point its all a mish mash in my head.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 8:32 pm
sky wrote:
In Lakewood there are chassidim who are long term learners. I have some cousins and neighbors who are, wives cover their sheitels, don't drive, have grandchildren, wear streimels and are still learning, some where striemels.

I am not chassidish. I have heimish blood from my parents, but my husband is most definitely not (even though he is a 10th decedent of the the baal shem tov - do I have any relatives on here?)

Wave

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 2:44 am
seriously? We're married b"h 8 years, 4 kids with another on the way. we're chassidish, and dh is still in kollel, as well as all brothers and bil's. 98% of his kollel is chassidish.

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 3:00 am
I'm not.

Not sure if you'll get a very accurate picture with this poll. Many non-chassidish posters may not open a thread titled "Chassidish" because they may think it's not relevant to them. (I, on the other hand, am nosy Smile )

kalsee

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 3:22 am
sky wrote:

Do you do the last day of pesach , meal with knaidlach thing?

Someone was telling me about it recently.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 4:45 am
sky wrote:

So nice to discover relatives of my dh...
But we are chassidish, kollel for long term to life...

freidasima

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 4:48 am
Sky I assume you mean rinsing "becher" as in kiddish cup, not bechor as in first born (lol!) took me a while to get that one.
My husband and I and our children are definitely modern orthodox. My father was born in Poland to a chassidic family and although he grew up later in Germany he kept many of the traditions he was brought up with in order to honor his father's memory.
So I grew up with a father who kept gebroks except for shmini shel Pesach (yeah he would eat matzo in his soup that day) while telling me and my mother that we should NOT keep it as it is a difficult minhog with no real necessilty today and he just kept it as he was brought up that way. He rinsed his becher while my husband does not, he davened whatever pronunciation he lived in at the time whether in Poland (Galicianer, what you guys are writing about "heimish pronunciation" is not Hungarian or even Polist but just Galicianer which after WWII almost all chassidim took over as their pronunciation but wasn't originally), Germany, the USA or EY where he davened with a sefaradi accent and the nusach of whereever he lived (ashkenaz in USA, Sfard in EY) saying baruch Ata, not "boorich atu" but occasionally he would slip back to his childhood pronunciations, such as when he would sing aishes chayil to my mother, may she be a melizas yosher in gan eden for us (I'm still in my "year" for her).

But remember what a lot of you call "chasidus" is not at all "chassidic" in origin but geographical. There were Jews living in Galicia who weren't chassidm believe it or not and they still at the same food as the others, same goes for Hungary and my very Lithuanian/Latvian husband who grew up eating the stuff that his parents and grandparents ate...ate the same kind of food as we did (just less sugar and soup first)...

I'm a mishmash. In daily practice I'm MO/DL but there are some things with chassidic roots that I keep from my father (saying mizmor lidovid between washing and motzi, for example)...

imaima

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 5:58 am
freidasima wrote:
Sky I assume you mean rinsing "becher" as in kiddish cup, not bechor as in first born (lol!) took me a while to get that one.
My husband and I and our children are definitely modern orthodox. My father was born in Poland to a chassidic family and although he grew up later in Germany he kept many of the traditions he was brought up with in order to honor his father's memory.

You've got to rinse that one too, once in a while

freidasima

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 6:01 am
lol!!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics