Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What is the Minimum Amount of Toys Necessary? (Long)

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 5:30 pm
I've been meaning to post on this topic for a while, but I wasn't sure whether to post in Household Management or here. Now I see a somewhat related post, so here goes...

We are a family of five living in a small apartment. Three kids: seven year old, preschooler, baby. Storage space is at a premium around here and I hate clutter. Also, we are messy (although I am really trying to change that) and disorganized. I have a rule that only one toy can be out at a time, but the kids don't listen and I can't realistically always be on top of them about it. So little pieces float about, plastic lids of storage containers get stepped on and crack, games and puzzles end up with missing pieces, and I end up super frustrated. Its much easier to clean up if there aren't that many toys in the first place.

On a related note, it is really important to me that my children don't grow up to be spoiled,entitled and unappreciative, so I don't want them to have everything under the sun. I have been to peoples' homes and I was just agog at the mountains of toys their children have. We are very careful not to accumulate things just for the sake of having "stuff" and we have no place to keep all that anyway.

In short, I do not want to have a bunch of extra toys. There is no space, it stays neater, and hopefully, my kids learn to appreciate and make use of what they have.

I do want my children to have what they need though. So what do you think is the minimum amount of toys that children need to be kept happily occupied?

This is what we have:
Books (and we also borrow from the library)
crayons (coloring books and paper available)
3 preschool level puzzles (that still have all the pieces, I tossed the rest)
1 baby puzzle
mega blocks
duplo
magna tiles
thomas trains
wooden tracks
baby ride on toy
baby stack toy
baby ball
baby xylophone
baby pop-up animals toy
a few baby/toddler sized cars
plasma car
3-4 board games
3 large construction vehicles
firetruck
12 matchbox cars
pretend food and utensils
playdough at the table on rare occasions

That's pretty much it!

Is this sufficient? I have banned toys with very small parts (Playmobil, Legos for older children, etc.) out of concern for the baby's safety and the mess. (I have tried, but the older ones just won't be careful to put all the pieces away when they are finished playing with them.) Am I missing any must-have toys?

bigsis144

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 6:03 pm
Looking forward to advice -- I've got your problem, too! Hug

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 6:08 pm
I think it's enough. I had very few toys when I was small. I used to get one toy each birthday. I was happy like that.

harriet

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 6:14 pm
Maybe I missed these on your list but I'd add doll/mentchies and a couple of basic board games (candyland, connect 4, hi ho cherrio. . .)

You will be just fine without them too, of course . . .

justcallmeima

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 6:40 pm
I had the same problem. Now I ONLY buy toys at second-hand stores. That way, when they lose a few pieces it doesn't stress me out. Smile

southernbubby

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 7:06 pm
looks like you're all set Smile

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 8:03 pm
The minimum amount is really whatever your kids need to be stimulated and to develop skills. I'm wondering what the oldest one plays with, since your toys seem to be mostly geared toward the younger two.

imasinger

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 8:09 pm
If you want, you can keep a few toys and games in storage, and rotate stock periodically. That makes old things seem like new.

Peanut2

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 8:35 pm
Dolls. Really good for imaginative play and useful for kids learning to process their emotions and social and family situations.

Also can be shoved all together into container so maybe easier clean up?

You didn't include teething toys, hanging baby toys, and other baby stuff that I like having for baby. I don't know how necessary they are or aren't.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 10:44 pm
Op here. Thanks for the reassurance. I thought it was enough, but then I started second guessing myself....

Imasinger- rotating toys is a good idea, but I don't have the storage space to do that.

MBV - You're right. Other than board games, there's not much for the seven year old.

I'd actually like to get him a toy or two, but I don't know what to buy. I'd love some suggestions. Here's the problem: He loves to read and draw, but that's about it. He has no interest in Playmobil or Legos, even if I would be willing to buy them (I asked). He is not interested in a Perplexus either. He doesn't care for little matchbox cars. He rarely plays with the Magnatiles. Believe it or not, he will sometimes still build things with the megablocks though. If I do buy him a toy/game, it has to be something without tiny pieces that he can either play with by himself, or with the preschooler. I'm really not looking for yet another game that I have to play and the preschooler can't. I would also strongly prefer something without batteries. Ideas anyone? It's literally to the point where I have taken him to the toy store, and he couldn't find anything he wanted to buy!

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 10:48 pm
Does he like other craft type of things, or only drawing? What does he do when he goes to a friend's house?

Deep

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 10:52 pm
For your 7 year old, RushHour is a classic! I love the Thinkfun games that are played individually.
http://www.amazon.com/Think-Fu.....+hour
http://www.amazon.com/Think-Fu.....nkfun
http://www.amazon.com/Think-Fu.....nkfun

bnm

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 10:57 pm
Magnadoodle.
Also whats the difference between megablocks and Duplo besides for size?

ally

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 1:13 am
I second rush hour. My 6 and 3 year old also play monopoly for hours.

Bitachon101

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 2:01 am
Is your dh handy?
Build a few shelves high on the wall in the kids room to keep bins of toys for rotating. You can probably get a handy man to do it. It can look neat and allows for storage.
If ds 7 loves reading, awesome.
If you think he needs some more physical stimulation then I'd search for a few more bigger boy toys to keep him interested.
What about a deck of cards and teaching him some card tricks? Or the game of set (cards) and letting him build up his matching skills.
Crafts would be another idea.
Good luck!
Looks like you have a great selection for your kids.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 2:32 am
I think your toy list is just right. If your 7yo is happy, then get him more books and art supplies. Go with what he loves, not what you think he "should" like.

I wish I could narrow down DD's toys! She has a huge extended family, and she's the only granddaughter, so we are up to our eyeballs in stuffed animals, American Girl dolls, and Littlest Pet Shop. It doesn't help that her best friend is also an only child, who has a very wealthy family - hence a zillion toys.

When we move to Israel I have no idea what we're going to do about weeding out the collection and storing her favorites. I know that all the bedrooms are much smaller than American ones. Mostly, I just try not to think about it. Confused

Dev80

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 4:40 am
If your 7 year old isn't bored or complaining, then I wouldn't worry too much and would save the $$ until he does find something he likes.

A boy that age is probably happy being outdoors with his bike and a ball, or indoors reading or doing art. You can vary the art supplies like pastels, paints, or some of the other millions of things out there.

Another building toy is Kapla.

Do they still make mad libs? I loved those when I was 7 Smile.

Also I agree with the suggestion of a deck of cards, that has a lot of possibility! And there are probably loads of great board games/card games out there. But again I wouldn't stress out finding the right one if he's not asking for it or acting out out of boredom.

You seem like a great mom and very practical too!

freidasima

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 5:08 am
A lovely list!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics