Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Fail proof Friday night chicken recipe please
1  2  Next

heidi

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 12:28 am
So this is a bit ridiculous bcz. I've been making Shabbos for many many years, but lately I can't seem to get my chicken right. By the time it gets to the table Friday night it's dried out. If you have a fail proof Friday night chicken on the bone recipe I would really appreciate it, WITH the method you use to keep it hot Friday night. (ie: how long in the oven on what temp., just on the blech etc.)
Thanks!!!

lifesagift

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 1:12 am
Chicken w skin on or schmeared w mayo mixture will not dry out as fast. Keep on lowest flame/ temp possible. U can braise it in a sml amt of broth in btm of pan. Ftr I don't serve baked chicken Fri night. Were red meat eaters...

ms5771

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 2:21 am
This one is totally foolproof!

Mix:
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 TBSP garlic powder
1 TBSP onion powder (I've done it without when I didn't have it, and it tasted just as good)
2 TBSP paprika

Add a little water on the bottom of the pan, mix the ingredients and pour on top of the chicken (leave the skin on). Cover for 1 hour and bake at 350 F/180 C, then uncover for 30-45 minutes. During the time it's uncovered, I pour the sauce over the chicken every 10-15 minutes so it doesn't dry out - this is really important! I don't put it away in the fridge when it's done. I leave it out, and then I put it directly on the plata right before I light candles. I'll move it up on top of a foil pan around the time my husband comes home from shul to make sure it doesn't burn.

I have other fancy sauce ones, but this was the easiest one I could think of - and happens to be my husband's favorite, too!

cinnamon

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 2:53 am
Whatever chicken I make I bake on 200C with the turbo turned on for three hours and put it on an upside down pan on the blech before shabbos (and not directly on the blech).

Two really easy chickens I like:
1. shmear silan all over the chicken pushing some under the skin, sprinkle with salt pepper and garlic.
2. cut a bunch of onions into half circles, spread half of them on the bottom of a pan put the chicken on top of the onions sprinkle with salt. pepper, garlic powder and a lot of paprika, put the rest of the onions on top of the chicken and sprinkle with a little more paprika and some oil.

etky

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 3:44 am
cinnamon wrote:
Whatever chicken I make I bake on 200C with the turbo turned on for three hours and put it on an upside down pan on the blech before shabbos (and not directly on the blech).

Two really easy chickens I like:
1. shmear silan all over the chicken pushing some under the skin, sprinkle with salt pepper and garlic.
2. cut a bunch of onions into half circles, spread half of them on the bottom of a pan put the chicken on top of the onions sprinkle with salt. pepper, garlic powder and a lot of paprika, put the rest of the onions on top of the chicken and sprinkle with a little more paprika and some oil.

The chicken doesn't get dried out or burn at 200C (400 F) on turbo for 3 hours? I find that if I roast it on 180C (350F) with the turbo then an hour is enough to get it done and really crispy- maximum 1 and 1/4 hour beyond which is gets too dry. When I bake it at 180C w/o turbo then I usually leave it in for 1.5 - 2 hours. The turbo in my oven really speeds up the cooking process and has a drying effect.

Dev80

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 4:21 am
Rather than the recipe the problem is probably the cooking time/ how you heat it up.

I cook my chicken at 180 or 200 for 1.5 to two hours (check on it at 1.5 hours), you don't need to overcook it in the oven since you'll be heating it up again.

Then for heating it up on Shabbos I put it directly on the hotplate until I feel the top of the foil is hot (about 20 minutes/30 minutes) and then raise it with an upside down pan or cookie sheet. Or, use an upside down cookie sheet and do that from the outset since you're worried about drying it out.

I totally get you though I always say that the hotplate either dries out the food or it's not hot enough :/

etky

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 4:36 am
Dev80 wrote:
Rather than the recipe the problem is probably the cooking time/ how you heat it up.

I cook my chicken at 180 or 200 for 1.5 to two hours (check on it at 1.5 hours), you don't need to overcook it in the oven since you'll be heating it up again.

Then for heating it up on Shabbos I put it directly on the hotplate until I feel the top of the foil is hot (about 20 minutes/30 minutes) and then raise it with an upside down pan or cookie sheet. Or, use an upside down cookie sheet and do that from the outset since you're worried about drying it out.

I totally get you though I always say that the hotplate either dries out the food or it's not hot enough :/

The plata can be 'the kiss of death' for some foods Sad

cinnamon

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 4:38 am
etky wrote:
The chicken doesn't get dried out or burn at 200C (400 F) on turbo for 3 hours? I find that if I roast it on 180C (350F) with the turbo then an hour is enough to get it done and really crispy- maximum 1 and 1/4 hour beyond which is gets too dry. When I bake it at 180C w/o turbo then I usually leave it in for 1.5 - 2 hours. The turbo in my oven really speeds up the cooking process and has a drying effect.

Nope, I keep it covered and it comes out good. Without turbo I would have to put it on 240 for two hours covered and then another 15-20 minutes uncovered.

Different ovens maybe?

freidasima

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 4:38 am
Roast a chicken at 350 for 90 minutes.
Heat up in a pot with a bit of water before shabbos. put on the blech and serve.

etky

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 4:43 am
cinnamon wrote:
Nope, I keep it covered and it comes out good. Without turbo I would have to put it on 240 for two hours covered and then another 15-20 minutes uncovered.

Different ovens maybe?

Actually I think the fact that you cover it might explain everything. I find that in my oven for some reason if I cover a dish with aluminum foil it takes forever to cook through - like 3 or 4 times what it should (but not so with a glass or cast iron cover which I guess are better conductors of heat). If a dish really needs to be covered with foil to shield it from the heat then I sometimes slash the foil in several places and this helps it cook faster.

cinnamon

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 4:59 am
etky wrote:
Actually I think the fact that you cover it might explain everything. I find that in my oven for some reason if I cover a dish with aluminum foil it takes forever to cook through - like 3 or 4 times what it should (but not so with a glass or cast iron cover which I guess are better conductors of heat). If a dish really needs to be covered with foil to shield it from the heat then I sometimes slash the foil in several places and this helps it cook faster.

So you bake chicken uncovered the whole time? it doesn't dry out?
I would love to bake for less time to save on electricity.

etky

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 5:19 am
cinnamon wrote:

Yes, uncovered the whole time. I prefer the regular program though over turbo because although it takes longer, the chicken comes out moister. I use turbo only when I'm roasting a whole chicken on a vertical roaster. Then it comes out very juicy on the inside and really crispy on the outside (like a broiled taste and texture) but you have to be careful with the time - any more than 1 1/4 hours and it can get dried out.

freidasima

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 5:30 am
I bake pieces in sauce (tomato paste plus tamari sauce plus honey or silan). 45 minutes covered and the last 45 minutes uncovered at 350. Seems to work well and not dry out. If you are using chicken breast or schnitzl pieces which are dryer then best keep covered for 60 minutes and uncovered for another 20 or so, they need less time than chicken on bone.

cinnamon

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 5:31 am
etky wrote:
Yes, uncovered the whole time. I prefer the regular program though over turbo because although it takes longer, the chicken comes out moister. I use turbo only when I'm roasting a whole chicken on a vertical roaster. Then it comes out very juicy on the inside and really crispy on the outside (like a broiled taste and texture) but you have to be careful with the time - any more than 1 1/4 hours and it can get dried out.

Thanks! I'm gonna try it on 180 regular for 1.5-2 hours uncovered and see what happens.

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 5:45 am
I always bake my chicken covered on 200 for 1.5 hours, with sauce under, then uncovered for 15 mins to brown the top. Keeps the moisture in. I also like to heat it up in a pot, not a shallow dish, and with the lid on. It comes out really soft and tasty. Not crispy, alas, but it's delicious this way. My favourite chicken recipe is probably chicken w/ OJ, dried apricots, prunes and garlic. Yum.

etky

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 5:52 am
freidasima wrote:
I bake pieces in sauce (tomato paste plus tamari sauce plus honey or silan). 45 minutes covered and the last 45 minutes uncovered at 350. Seems to work well and not dry out. If you are using chicken breast or schnitzl pieces which are dryer then best keep covered for 60 minutes and uncovered for another 20 or so, they need less time than chicken on bone.

Breast cutlets are the only chicken that I cover (with the slashed foil) because they do tend to dry out. I usually find that about 45 min, is enough though, if the pieces aren't that thick.

etky

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 5:56 am
cinnamon wrote:

Just remembered that I also make a whole chicken with potatoes and lots of garlic cloves, in a cast iron dutch oven with a heavy lid. I bake it at 180 for 2 hours (not turbo). Comes out extremely moist and soft- almost falling apart. I really like it but DH and the kids prefer the firmer texture of the chicken roasted uncovered.

June

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 6:18 am
cinnamon wrote:

OT - what is the turbo? I have it on my new oven and can't figure out what it is....

Yocheved84

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 7:04 am
Crockpot Fall Chicken:

Sauteed Onions and Garlic
Apples
Sweet potatoes
Pears
Chicken
A little bit of olive oil
Chicken broth to keep it moist

Cook it all for five or so hours in the crock pot. Put the pot on a plata to warm it up.

A winter/fall friday chicken recipe.
Smile

etky

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 7:20 am
June wrote:
OT - what is the turbo? I have it on my new oven and can't figure out what it is....

In my oven at least, the turbo setting involves a fan that circulates the hot air around the food. This speeds up the cooking process and also tends to be drying. It is good for baking two things at a time since the heat is circulated evenly by the fan and for things that have a crust like bread. I also like it for cookies, puff pastry and for rotisserie style chicken. I don't often use it for cakes or kugels though theoretically I could if I lowered the temp. a bit. I generally do those on the regular oven setting.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey