Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Kiruv

Minnesota Mom

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 9:02 pm
What kind of tefillin would be right for a person who has become interested in his Jewish faith and has done a genetic study which confirms he is a cohen and an ancestry that traces back to Toledo, Spain at the time of Rambam?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 9:05 pm
You need to ask a Rav that. My understanding is that Rabbonim on the whole don't hold from a genetic study in a case like this, but rather advise based on the community the person lives in. In fact, much of Eastern European Jewry (Polish, Lithuanian, Russian, and more) also descends from Spanish ancestry.

Minnesota Mom

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 9:29 pm
The person is not part of a Jewish community at all. In fact he is just now rediscovering Judaism. I host a tehillim site and facebook page and he was inspired by tehillim and perhaps communications related to that to rekindle his Jewish neshama. Even though I do not know the person, I thought he should have a tefillin set so I found one for sale that is Sephardic and made in Israel. Just wondering if this is the right one to get.

Peanut2

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 9:40 pm
I have a friend who is descended from Anusim who were forced to convert during the Spanish Inquisition. Said friend was required to undergo conversion despite this.

My understanding is that genetic tests that reveal a person is Jewish are not halachically meaningful. If that person was born to a Jewish mother he is Jewish. If not, he would probably require conversion.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 9:40 pm
I would ask a rabbi, not imamother

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 9:43 pm
PS, nobody said the genetic study was this person's only evidence of Jewishness; only that it confirmed Cohen status and associated him with Toledo. My assumption when reading that was that he had some indication from his immediate family that he is or might be Jewish, and did the gene study to explore further. Wondering how Jewish he is or isn't is irrelevant to the topic of this thread.

Minnesota Mom

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 9:50 pm
Thank you so much for your replies. My understanding is the person has a Jewish mother and a Jewish grand father whose Jewish name was Moshe. Unfortunately, he attended church up until now. I want to send him a pair of tefillin in honor of his grandfather but am not sure if a general one from Israel is the right one or should I find something that is unique to the minhag of his particular family descent. Since I am not at all knowledgeable - Is there a difference in types of tefillin or are they pretty much the same?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 5:59 am
You would need tefillin for Judeo Spanish minhag/Sefaradi Tahor.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 6:11 am
Minnesota Mom wrote:
What kind of tefillin would be right for a person who has become interested in his Jewish faith and has done a genetic study which confirms he is a cohen and an ancestry that traces back to Toledo, Spain at the time of Rambam?

Even if his having Sefardic ancestors matters, how would kehuna be relevant (even if a genetic test could actually establish that a person is a cohen)?

Minnesota Mom

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 5:02 pm
Thank you! It's a sephardic tefillin made in Israel. Is that the same thing?

Ruchel

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 7:15 am
I will ask my husband if he knows.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics