Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Gov't aid and living in a different state

amother

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 10:05 am
hey,
dh and I are from nj but live in ny. We did not change our licenses or car insurance, we still have nj papers. and dh doesn't want to change.

How can I apply for gov't aid in ny? is it possible?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 10:15 am
amother wrote:
hey,
dh and I are from nj but live in ny. We did not change our licenses or car insurance, we still have nj papers. and dh doesn't want to change.

How can I apply for gov't aid in ny? is it possible?

You didn't mention what kind of government aid but broadly speaking, because of how most programs are funded, it's fraud to claim benefits in one state and live in another.

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 10:22 am
ny might be a big state but you can't purport to live in 2 states at the same time -

although I do know people who use oot addresses on their driver's license to keep insurance rates low

chatz

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 10:27 am
You generally need to show proof of residence. Lease agreement or similar. If you have one for your NY residence, that should be good.

You can use a passport for photo ID.

BUT if you are a resident of NY, getting befits from NY, paying taxes to NY - I don't think you can keep the NJ license. But I don't know enough about that.

And if you are a resident of NJ officially, then I don't see how you can get benefits from NY. And what is the point of getting health insurance etc from NJ if you live in NY?

amother

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 10:27 am
op here

we don't want to do a/t illegal. my question is, is it legal, or do we have to go through the pain of changing our paperwork?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 10:34 am
amother wrote:
op here

we don't want to do a/t illegal. my question is, is it legal, or do we have to go through the pain of changing our paperwork?

You haven't said what kind of aid. If it's Medicaid, then being coverered in NJ won't help since you'll have to go back to NJ to access medial care. Same for WIC or SNAP.

summer0808

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 11:14 am
it is illegal to live in NY and have a license and insurance in another state. so start with that. BTW the benefits in NY are much better so the increased benefits might be more than the difference in car insurance.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics