Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Boots help (don't mind the melodrama, lol)
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 12:17 am
I need boots! I haven't had real nice comfortable warm weatherproof winter boots in ages, but for a number of years I had rubber rain boots (hunter style, but cheap) that I wore when it was really necessary, not so comfy but cheap and water/snowproof. Last winter they sprang a leak and it was very problematic. So now I need boots.

I don't have tons to spend but if I'm going to get something nice and high quality that will do what I need and last a long time, it would be worth it to me.

Problem is I went to DSW and tried on just about every boot that looked half normal (and weatherproof. I don't really need fashion boots, I just want to be dry when it's wet and bonus also warm when it's cold, though maybe just plain rain boots would be better because then I can be dry even when it's not cold.... I'm not buying more than one pair of boots right now) and because majority of boots don't come in half-sizes, they are all too small (toes crashing smashing against end) or too big (to the extent that they are wobbling around so much I can't walk, not the kind you can just stick an insole in.) I am so frustrated! There were some that I thought *maybe* I could deal with (either just a drop snug or just a little too loose to be comfortable) but I didn't like them enough for the price. I guess I'd be willing to spend up to $80 or so on something I really like, or buy something I don't love if the price is right and it meets my needs. But I'm not going to spend $80 on something that I don't like the way it looks and it only sort-of fits not so comfortably.

So then I ordered some on Zappos and had the same sorry story, except now they have to be re-packed and re-shipped.

On my way from hither to thither today I passed a no-name Chinese store that sold no-name Chinese shoes and boots (and gloves and blankets and iphone cases, that kind of place) and they actually had something decent that fit decently and was decently comfortable and decently not too ugly, for $30. But they are almost surely garbage that will eventually spring a leak, not sure if it will be a matter of days or months or years. So now I'm unsure whether to keep looking for something high quality, or spend less but still a not-so-insignificant amount on something that might be junky (by not-so-insignificant I mean that if these junk out quickly enough I could buy a more expensive one for the amount it would cost to buy and replace these every time.) They also had the rain-boot type for $18 but I didn't try them on so not sure if they fit or are comfortable. I can always go back...

Technically I could continue to shop around because it's unlikely we'll have a blizzard over the next few weeks, but realistically my life doesn't afford me that much time to go shopping and stuff. I had dedicated a day to take care of shoes, boots, and sneakers and was unreasonably frustrated at the failure of that, wasted a perfectly good afternoon and wasted a huge childcare favor for a mission that wasn't even accomplished.

Help!
1. Anyone have tips how/where to buy weatherproof boots that fit half sizes?
2. If you're only interested in buying one pair of boots, should it be rubbery rain boots or furry snow boots?
3. Does it pay to try junky boots that are only somewhat cheap, or is that just a waste?

momX4

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 12:26 am
I would get a pair of rain boots from Target, and wear a pair of warm socks when it snows. Its warm and waterproof.

DrMom

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 12:53 am
Can you get a pair of galoshes to wear over your regular shoes?

If you wear thicker socks, can't you wear a 1/2 size up?

Crocs sells waterproof bots that are not too ugly (compared to their other shoes, that is), for well under US$80.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 1:08 am
My warm weatherproof boots are from costco. Sorry I dont remember the price. I also bought a $15 pair of rainboots from a cheap stope.
Both have lasted a few years so far.

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 1:16 am
Cool, I didn't realize Target sells rain boots. They're not much cheaper than DSW though, are they good quality and/or comfortable?

Dr Mom, the 1/2 size up was so far too big that no amount of socks would help. They were practically falling off Sad

Galoshes are not so much for me, especially since I have a similar problem with regular shoes and most often wear sneakers which I don't think would fit well in boots.

I'd love $15 cheap store rainboots. That's what I used to have. But the cheap store was Daffy's, A"H, and now I can't seem to find them again, even the "cheap" stores now only have expensive ones. Seriously I was in Marshall's the other day and they had Gucci rubber boots for something above $200. Well above. They appeared to be the same thin rubber as my old Daffy's ones. Creepy. They also had more normal ones but even those were at least $30 or so, plus they didn't even have my size so nevermind. They had some things I LOVED in the kids section but the biggest size was a kid's 13, much too small. Sad.

Shopping for footwear is like the bane of my existence. I wear my shoes to death so I don't have to do it too often. But by then I have gotten so used to whatever I had that it's hard to replace them, and it's been so long that they don't make the same thing anymore.

DrMom

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 1:44 am
It's odd that your shoe size is so consistent. I find mine can vary by a +/- 1/2 size when switching from brand to brand.

If it's urgent, I'd just make do with something inexpensive, and during the wintre keep your eye out for something that's a bit pricier but longer-lasting and that fits you well.

alef12

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 1:54 am
I have these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BCJVLJW
They were $150 - 20% off (some amazon coupon) so $120, more than $80 definitely but they are super warm, waterproof and come in half sizes. They are too warm to be worn as "fashion boots" in heated places imho but are perfect for shoveling snow, waiting at the bus stop etc... in subfreezing temperatures.

pickle321

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 1:57 am
I would not get rain boots from target. I've had two pairs from there and both got a tear in them which defeated the purpose because my feet would get wet. Now I have tretorn which are very good

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 2:36 am
Well anyway target was out of stick and not sold in stores. So it's good to know I'm not missing anything great.

My best size does vary by brand, but I am consistent in that shoes consistently don't fit me. I also need to be comfortable, I'm a little pickier than your average customer and go crazy from shoes that pinch or slide around when I walk. Like I said, I wear sneakers a whole lot!

little_mage

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 5:51 am
Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone in this quest. I'm looking for something similar-I do a lot of walking, so I need something that will actually be good for walking in snow, so no heels.

DrMom

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 5:58 am
I am a picky shoe consumer as well, because I also walk a lot.

I bought nice goretex-lined waterproof leather boots from ECCO 8 years ago and they are very comfortable, warm, and reasonably fashionable. They weren't cheap, but they lasted 8 years so far, so no complaints. (I don't think they come in 1/2-sizes, though...)

esther09

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 6:42 am
I recommend buying rain boots with the removable thinsulate high socks. They are VERY warm in winter, I've walked a mile in a blizzard (actually!) in my hunters and the removable socks. When it's not cold, just wear the rain boots. I know hunters may be a bit more than you want to spend, I thought they were a great investment, though. I am sure other brands make these types, too.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 6:55 am
DrMom wrote:
I am a picky shoe consumer as well, because I also walk a lot.

I bought nice goretex-lined waterproof leather boots from ECCO 8 years ago and they are very comfortable, warm, and reasonably fashionable. They weren't cheap, but they lasted 8 years so far, so no complaints. (I don't think they come in 1/2-sizes, though...)

I live in Ecco shoes! I must have at least 8 pairs of them. (Ebay is my friend. Very Happy ) I've been exclusively wearing Ecco and Naot for years now, because I have a bad back and very fussy feet.

Ecco comes in European sizes, so a US 8.5 is a size EU 39. http://www.ebay.com/sch/I.html.....cat=0

Of course, this is the wrong time of the year to be shopping for boots because you'll be paying full price. Plan ahead, and when you find some you like, buy an extra pair in the Spring when they go on clearance.

DrMom

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 7:02 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I live in Ecco shoes! I must have at least 8 pairs of them. (Ebay is my friend. Very Happy ) I've been exclusively wearing Ecco and Naot for years now, because I have a bad back and very fussy feet.

Ecco comes in European sizes, so a US 8.5 is a size EU 39. http://www.ebay.com/sch/I.html.....cat=0

Of course, this is the wrong time of the year to be shopping for boots because you'll be paying full price. Plan ahead, and when you find some you like, buy an extra pair in the Spring when they go on clearance.

Stock up on ECCO before you make aliyah. They are pricey here!
(Of course, Naot is all over the place here.)

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 9:03 am
Anyone know a cheaper place to buy Ecco? I was planning to spend at MOST $100 and a brief web search turns up Eccos twice that. Even for perfection (which I'm not too optimistic about...) I won't spend that much on boots, it doesn't snow that often and I really only need them for snow or heavy rain. I do need to be comfortable because I do a lot of walking daily, I don't remember my Hunter-knockoffs being THAT comfortable (had them when I had a less-walky commute and fewer kids to shuttle all over...)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 9:56 am
Get a half size big and put in a fleece liner for even extra warmth?

I don't know where you can get half sizes, but I love my Khombu boots and you can get them for pretty reasonable prices:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....JNJON
(and free returns)
Kamik is also a great brand:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....2VSZK

My Khombus I got in a half size bigger and they work very well for me.

Last edited by Hashem_Yaazor on Fri, Nov 14 2014, 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 9:58 am
Amazon does have a few half size options (I don't know your exact size), but Columbia brand popped up:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....OOGP5

If the boots are over $100 and are sold by Amazon, you can apply a coupon to get 20% off which is more in your budget.

spring13

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 10:06 am
I'd love to do have warm sock insert things in rain boots, but I have enormous calves and it's already a big job to find boots that fit over them, I can't imagine finding rain boots that will fit both my legs and a layer of thick fleece. I've had decent experiences with cheap rain boots though, so I don't mind keeping those separate.

I have a pair of Khombu boots from Costco that were maybe $50 and are fantastic. Have you tried Lands End? They have half sizes for women's boots. My daughter has the kids equivalent of the "Renata Short Snow Boots" and they are absolutely amazing - warm, waterproof, and cute if not the peak of fashion (they look like cute snow boots rather than fashion boots that happen to be waterproof). They have another pair of warm boots in half sizes as well. Both cost $119, but Black Friday is coming up, I'm sure there will be some good discounts soon.

questioner

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 10:41 am
I got boots like this in Century a few years ago for $25 and they lasted beautifully. There aren't half sizes though.

http://www.6pm.com/totes-jody-black

Simple1

Post Fri, Nov 14 2014, 10:45 am
I don't know where you live, but if you have a Famous Footwear, I saw loads and loads of boots there. In fact I came for Shabbos shoes, and all I saw were boots.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics