Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
How do you put on and take off shoes the halachic way?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 8:26 pm
I always get confused. I bought a pair of lace up sneakers. How do I put them on, tie them, untie them and take it off according to the halacha?

amother

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 8:27 pm
Is this serious?

amother

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 8:30 pm
amother wrote:
Is this serious?

I forgive you for making fun of me and I pray that you are less judgmental IRL as you are here.

mommyla

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 8:35 pm
Of course it's serious.

OP, you put on the right shoe, then the left, then tie the left, then tie the right. I believe that taking them off is reversed but I'm not sure, I usually just take mine off without untying them...

Shoelover

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 8:36 pm
Put on the right then the left tie the left then tie the right

causemommysaid

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 8:37 pm
I didn't know people really do that.

(I thought you tie the right first by the way)

causemommysaid

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 8:38 pm
what about left handed people? does it make a difference?

Ilana Tamar

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 8:43 pm
A Rav once told us that this does not apply to women since the whole thing is to mimic the way they put on Tefilin, which women do not do.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 8:44 pm
DH just commented to me last week that he heard on shiur by R' Felder that some poskim hold that since women don't wear tefillin, they are supposed to tie the right shoe first. (The reason men tie the left shoe first is because they tie the tefillin on their left arms making it more important for things related to tying.) Maybe ask a shaila, I'd be curious to find out what your rav says. I think R' Felder was quoting R' Elyashiv, but I'm not sure.

monseychick

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 9:00 pm
mommyla wrote:
Of course it's serious.

OP, you put on the right shoe, then the left, then tie the left, then tie the right. I believe that taking them off is reversed but I'm not sure, I usually just take mine off without untying them...

Technically , this isn't true as a lady doesn't put on tefillin..

pause

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 9:43 pm
I always knew that anything that you tie, not only shoes, should be done the left first and then the right. Tying tefillin on the left gives chashivus to the left side over the right in the realm of tying. I never heard that this is different for women. That is interesting and I'd love to have a source.

For taking off, you first take off untie right, then untie left, take off left, take off right. It's opposite of putting on.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 9:50 pm
amother wrote:
I forgive you for making fun of me and I pray that you are less judgmental IRL as you are here.
I honestly never heard of anything like this, but I forgive you for assuming that I meant this in a malicious way and I pray that you’ll cut people some slack sometimes.

abaker

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 10:14 pm
If wearing something with no laces, should you still put right shoe on first?

Reesa

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 11:46 pm
abaker wrote:
If wearing something with no laces, should you still put right shoe on first?

Yes. And I was taught to put right side on of everything first. Right Sleeve, skirt, pants, tights, etc. Also to dress yourself from top of body to bottom.

abaker

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 9:35 am
interesting! so right shoe on first. how about taking off...the left shoe off first?

pause

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 9:39 am
I believe some posters above already answered. It's not such a long thread to look through.

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 10:55 am
the way I learned in grade school is

you put the right foot in
you put the left foot in
then you tie the left shoe first
& you tie the right shoe last

[& you shake them all about
you do the hokie pokie
then you turn yourself around
that's what the halacha's all about - hey Music ]

chani8

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 11:08 am
Ilana Tamar wrote:
A Rav once told us that this does not apply to women since the whole thing is to mimic the way they put on Tefilin, which women do not do.

I put my shoes on the way I put on Tefilin. Wink

ETA - But seriously, I do put my shoes on the 'halachic way' and how does that mimic how Tefilin is put on? More like, the way we put on our shoes is the way we cut our nails? Left side first, then right. With Tefilin, it's left side first, then the rosh. Nothing like shoes.

Oh, DD explained, it's because the way we finish putting on the tefillin after the rosh. But to me, the head is not the same as the right side. But I get it now.

Sanguine

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 1:11 pm
greenfire wrote:
the way I learned in grade school is

you put the right foot in
you put the left foot in
then you tie the left shoe first
& you tie the right shoe last

That's what I learned in (PPY)HS too (without the music) but I only found out years and years later that lefties put on the left first and tie it right away and then put on the right. All those years of doing it wrong - That's why I'm such an apikorus

Ilana Tamar

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 1:13 pm
Chani8, cutting nails has nothing to do with this. The reason for cutting nails the way we do is to differentiate between the way it is done for a live person, and for a dead person at a tahara.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions