Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Strong willed child- book recommendation PLEASE!

calaflower

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 8:36 am
need recommendations on parenting books for strong willed, stubborn child?
At my wits end, tried everything I can think of, I want to do this right!
Thanks!

granolamom

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 9:51 am
Raising Your Spirited Child by mary sheedy kurcinka

how old is your child? you might also find The Difficult Child (bad title I know but good content) by Stanley Tureki helpful. I loved that book, it was very useful to me. I went to hear the author give a lecture too and he's absolutely great.

what the books have in common is the premise that kids come with an inborn temperament, some temperaments are easier to work with than others. Plus, YOU have a temperament too, when yours 'matches' your kid's then its relatively easy to raise that child but when there is not 'goodness of fit' then you run into problems. understanding temperament (yours and your child's) and the needs that come along with different temperaments, can help you figure out what your kid needs and why they respond to your parenting and their environment the way they do. the authors also address ways to help your child figure out how to move through the world in a functional way no matter what temperamental struggles they may have.
iirc, the spirited child book addressed younger kids too while the other book was maybe older kids? dont remember, but no matter the age they are both good reads.

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 9:56 am
Isn't there actually a book called "The Strong Willed Child"? Don't know more about it, just that's what popped into my mind reading the post title. Maybe it's "Parenting Your Strong-Willed Child"?

HAPPY MOMMY

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 10:06 am
The explosive child by Ross W. Greene. its good for all children but especially for stubborn ones. The basic idea is that some children have difficulty being flexible, and it teaches parents how to teach your child problem solving. It's an amazing book! Hatzlacha

dr. pepper

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 11:21 am
I've been around the block and back with parenting classes and books. I liked them all and enjoy learning different approaches.

I personally found John Rosemonds "The well behaved child" to be a very easy, enjoyable and super practical read.

Hatzlocha!

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 11:26 am
HAPPY MOMMY wrote:
The explosive child by Ross W. Greene. its good for all children but especially for stubborn ones. The basic idea is that some children have difficulty being flexible, and it teaches parents how to teach your child problem solving. It's an amazing book! Hatzlacha

I found this book to be helpful for my strong-willed child. She's not really explosive, but she's the type that could be CEO of a corporation one day, she's got that much mettle.

calaflower

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 11:43 am
Thank you everyone!
She is almost 5yrs old, and she is not my first... Or second... My first child was quite difficult too, but nothing like this!
Im not just worried about our current home situation, but can't stop thinking about the future too, of how she will conduct herself as an adult!
I need a book to help me clarify what's going on, and how to deal with it. I'm also hoping it will help me know when it's time to get "professional"help if Chas V'Shalom it doesn't work..

Jewishmom8

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 12:10 pm
the explosive child is great

suzyq

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 12:13 pm
Setting Limits with your Strong-Willed Child -

http://www.amazon.com/Setting-.....83006

I found it very helpful.

HAPPY MOMMY

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 12:36 pm
calaflower wrote:
Thank you everyone!
She is almost 5yrs old, and she is not my first... Or second... My first child was quite difficult too, but nothing like this!
Im not just worried about our current home situation, but can't stop thinking about the future too, of how she will conduct herself as an adult!
I need a book to help me clarify what's going on, and how to deal with it. I'm also hoping it will help me know when it's time to get "professional"help if Chas V'Shalom it doesn't work..
[quote]
That's what I like about, the explosive child, he explains what's going on with your child that's how you are able to help her. It's very clear and practical.

imasinger

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 12:41 pm
My hands down favorite is "Parenting the Difficult Child: the Nurtured Heart Approach".

grace413

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 1:08 pm
Raising Your Spirited Child by mary sheedy kurcinka

This book saved my sanity.

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 7:49 pm
suzyq wrote:
Setting Limits with your Strong-Willed Child -

http://www.amazon.com/Setting-.....83006

I found it very helpful.

Ah yes, that's the one I had! I never got around to reading it so I don't know if it's any good. I was just thinking "strong willed? Yeah someone wrote that."

Ashrei

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 8:35 pm
imasinger wrote:
My hands down favorite is "Parenting the Difficult Child: the Nurtured Heart Approach".

I was going to suggest this. I think it's a good supplement to any other parenting book/approach you try also. The basic tenets of this method are so important and can really help you improve your relationship and yourself.

watermelon

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 8:55 pm
Another vote for "Setting limits with your strong willed child" by Robert Mackenzie. Its clear, helpful, easy to read and it really works.

granolamom

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 9:37 pm
HAPPY MOMMY wrote:

I really liked this book too. I found it less easy to apply to younger kids though. but a great book to have on hand, and the philosophy is great and can be applied to even your easier kids. In fact, I think its probably not a bad idea to 'practice' with your easier kids. you'll see success quicker and feel stronger and more competent and more in control because you have tools that work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics