Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Har sinai cake

baseballmom

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 7:57 pm
I have heard of various people making "har sinai cakes" for shavuos, but can't find a recipe, or any guidance of how best to make one. Does anyone have a recipe or some advice?

ChavieK

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 9:00 pm
If you have a round pan, like a ball, thats great. If not, I just used 2 diff size round pans & put one on top. Lots of icing to make it look like a hill. Topped with green coconut(food coloring). Then the kids really take over. They usually use gum, the pellet kind, for the Luchos at the top. Then something like gummy bears for the people.Placed in the proper places of course. Moshe close to top the n Aharon.... Small jelly bean deeper in the green for flowers.Use your imagination.

rainbow

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 9:18 pm
Sounds like a fun family activity. Anyone have a pic to post?

willow

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 2:05 am
How do you make pareve frosting?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 10:54 am
willow wrote:
How do you make pareve frosting?

I have a great recipe from The Kosher Pallete -- B"N I'll try to remember to bring it in to work to post.

shopaholic

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 11:22 am

I made this last year for DS's b-day - it's on Erev Shavuos. I useed the Wilton doll pan. The one that you put the body in the top (this shape is the skirt).

chanimommy

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 12:50 pm
if you have a pyrex bowl (I believe the 6 cup ) or any glass oven proof bowl, then make your standard white cake ( I love the original white cake in the original kosher pallette or there is a good one in "the purple" cookbook--chabad). Just make sure you spray and flour (or use spray with flour in it) well. You may have to bake it on a lightly lower temp for a bit longer so it cooks through evenly. I just bake the cak and then turn it over snd cover it in beat up dessert whp. For the Luchos I use cholcolate covered wafers (the small ones) and the Paskesz teeny bits confetti cookies (little flwoers) or the flowers. For grass, I tint shredded coconut ith green food coloring.

willow

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 3:24 pm
H-Y-I found a nice looking recipe on-line and I decided to try it.
Momof3 Nice cake. My cake does not look as smooth as your My cutie was keeping me busy and I forgot about it simmering on the stove. When I came back I found it looking like pebbly mud!! But then I thought o.k Har Sinai was a mountain so it will look really cool. So instead of of smooth frosting I Got mud to decorate my cake. Have to say it did not come out looking to bad. Then I decorate it with flowers and people surrounding the base. Of course we have the lucos on top.

baseballmom

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 12:03 am
So in the end I just baked a regular 9x13 cake. I then iced the entire bottom 2/3 of it in a amountain shape with green icing. DCs used the flower shaped sprinkels to decorate har sinai. We used grahm crackers as the luchos, and used frosting to write aleph, beis etc. on it. Then I bought those teddy bear crackers and used them as the peole standing at the foor of har sinai. Not tremendously professional looking but the dc had a lot of fun making it and are very proud.

rainbow

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 12:08 am
mom, that is one beautiful har sinai cake! thanks for posting pic!

bashinda

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 6:22 am
momof3 your cake is gorgeous!

I don't have any real frosting experience and no flower sprinkles but I do have green food coloring and the Kosher Palette. And since the dirt is brown I have to make a chocolate cake. (Okay since we only eat chocolate cake I have to make a chocolate cake Wink ) Any even simpler way to suggest the luchos which don't involve frosting since I don't have a frosting bag?

Edit: although now that I'm perusing the Kosher Palatte I can't seem to find any frosting recipes...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 10:21 am
bashinda wrote:
momof3 your cake is gorgeous!

I don't have any real frosting experience and no flower sprinkles but I do have green food coloring and the Kosher Palette. And since the dirt is brown I have to make a chocolate cake. (Okay since we only eat chocolate cake I have to make a chocolate cake Wink ) Any even simpler way to suggest the luchos which don't involve frosting since I don't have a frosting bag?

Edit: although now that I'm perusing the Kosher Palatte I can't seem to find any frosting recipes...

I think it might be in the basic yellow cake recipe? Sorry, I didn't bring it in since willow didn't need it anymore.
Spice and Spirit I noticed last night also has a few frosting recipes.

bashinda

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 11:24 am
Nothing is basic in the KP [: And there's two of them. I have the first one. But I do have the purple cookbook. I'll probably use that. Cakes are done! I used one 8" square pan and one 9" round pan. We'll see how things turn out, IY"H

baseballmom

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 11:31 am
I just used grahm crackers and used the tiny wilton frosting thing, to write the letters aleph through yud on them, It came out cute!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 11:37 am
bashinda wrote:
Nothing is basic in the KP [: And there's two of them. I have the first one. But I do have the purple cookbook. I'll probably use that. Cakes are done! I used one 8" square pan and one 9" round pan. We'll see how things turn out, IY"H

There are a couple recipes that are basic Wink (I use the bread machine challah recipe which is a breeze), but I see your point.
I make the chocolate frosting, and use it for a few small cakes (I leave it in the fridge in an airtight container, and use it as needed.)

Yeah, the purple cookbook is the one I was talking about My mother has the blue one and I don't know offhand what recipes are in there.

tweety1

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:10 pm
Bumping this up. Any updated ideas or pictures?

CEF

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:27 pm
I'm using small flower-shaped cookies instead of icing. Could use marzipan. I think I might skip ppl and let the kids decorate with lego ppl instead

sky

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:36 pm
I bake a cake in a bundt cake pan.
Use dunkin hines white whipped icing, colored green. Sprinkle with sprinkles or flowered shape sprinkles.
Its easy enough.
The wilton cake pan does give a nicer shape.

oliveoil

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:41 pm
I made a version of this one last year, and it was a big hit.

http://www.chabad.org/blogs/bl.....e.htm
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus