Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Vent: Tuition is scaring the living daylights out of me!!!
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 1:00 am
amother wrote:
What do your kids know when they graduate? There is a saying that "you get what you pay for".

I have been very blessed. I pay a bit more than you do, but the actual tuition per child it way more. My kids go to a school that based our tuition according to our income. My kids will hopefully graduate with a well rounded education.

You're talking about chassidish yeshiva's.
My daughter is in a chassidish girl's school and is getting a wonderful education. All the chassidish girl school's besides Satmer take regents.

mandksima

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 5:26 am
I know a lot of people that made aliyah because of this issue. It was one of the biggest factors for us as well especially as we needed Jewish special ed schools. When we left we were faced with 30K or so a year each kid for 1st grade (we had twins) or public school. We had just finished 9K kindergarten and that was too expensive. It never occured for us to make aliyah until that point but as soon as we started with the thought, we were so surprised we never considered it earlier.

I know it isn't on everyone's radars but it is a really good reason to come here for good besides all of the other reasons. It is like Hashem is telling us "Come on already, I am making this so easy on you all by having tuition be crazy expensive and you still are not seeing the push I am giving you! What else can I do???"

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 6:43 am
amother wrote:
You're talking about chassidish yeshiva's.
My daughter is in a chassidish girl's school and is getting a wonderful education. All the chassidish girl school's besides Satmer take regents.

I agree about the poor education in schools. The graduates are weak academically in all the schools including chassidish schools. They are not taught to think for themselves. They can parrot back certain things, but they don't have original intellectual thoughts. They want everything hand fed to them. Most of the girls rely on calculators for simple math - think 4th grade level. They are exposed to a variety of secular subjects and don't get grounded in any. They are woefully unprepared for college. OTOH they have a good Jewish education and are well indoctrinated.

I also wish my kids could have a secular public school education. It doesn't seem possible to give children a good secular education when half or the bulk of your day is taken up with lomedi kodesh.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 6:55 am
chatouli wrote:
I was upset about tuition until I looked at what high school costs. Now the amount I'm paying for early childhood sounds cheap in comparison. No clue how we will afford having two in high school and one in college!! (Where I live, high school costs around $25K per child!!!!!!!!!) shock

My plan is to pick one kid to go to HS and put the rest to work. That's legal at 14 Tongue Out

I can't afford 3 in high school.

SRS

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 7:31 am
amother wrote:
Just feeling so overwhelmed that had to vent- Tuition is terrifying me right now. With all the myriads of fees that are added on, the amount of tuition per child is astronomical and I am so stressed out for the future!

Tuition is overwhelming and scary, especially if you are upfront honest type who isn't going to walk out on a bill or play the begging for a break game as a lot do as sadly I've discovered isn't uncommon.

My recommendation is that you and your husband have a meeting of minds and set some "ground rules" regarding tuition so that your ground rules control the discussion of limits, rather than pure emotion. We have some grounds rules ourselves and it isn't a perfect solution, but gives us framework for making decisions. E.g. it is a priority and we are more than happy to not go on vacation, but would draw a line in the sand if I could not just pay for needed medical care without thinking twice. So if tuition forced us into a paycheck to paycheck existence, we'd need a different arrangement to recover from that type of method of operating. We also have some savings thresholds and an absolutely no debt rule. These rules help us frame the discussion of "afford[ing] it."

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 8:24 am
Move to Australia Wink
Ybrcaps.com
Chabad school (yeshiva for boys, Beth Rivkah for girls) has launched a new program capping the amount each family pays depending on their income.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers