Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
October 15 birthday- repeat nursery playgroup?

Pooh

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 1:28 pm
I tried applying for my dd for nursery but they told me they moved the cut off date to end of August. Should I put her in a school where the cut off date allows for her to go into nursery at almost 3 or have her go to a playgroup and then nursery when she's almost 4????
So confused as to what's better.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 1:48 pm
I would send her to nursery next year and at this point next year you can assess whether she's ready to go to kindergarten the next year. It's not so bad if she has to repeat nursery the next year.

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 1:58 pm
it depends on the individuality of the specific child

Pooh

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 1:59 pm
And you wouldn't worry about having her be the youngest? She's now the youngest in playgroup and I see a difference in the other kids compared to her mostly in speech (she's fine just not as advanced as them who are almost 3) and I'm not sure about understanding if she would be behind.

ora_43

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 2:08 pm
How are the two different?

Around here daycare for 2-year-olds and for 3-year-olds is pretty similar. If it's the same where you are, I don't think you can really go wrong either way.

If nursery and playgroup have a significantly different structure or hours, that might be different.

I've had more than one kid be the youngest or almost-youngest in pre-preschool, and it was always fine. It does depend on the individual kid, but I agree with glutenless that "leaving back" is really more of an issue for kindergarten/first grade.

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 3:40 pm
it's better to be the oldest and keep up than to feel left behind

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 3:58 pm
You may want to ask her current teacher what she thinks, how she would compare her to the other students. I have a dd with an Oct birthday and one with Nov, we didn't leave either one back and they are both doing fine. One of them had was a little behind in kriah in primar/pre1a, but with a little extra help she caught up.
I think in nursery it doesn't make much of a difference, it would be a bigger problem once they start real school and start learning how to read. So I would make my decision when it's time to register her for elementary school, at that point you will have a better idea if she's ready or not.
You can also have her repeat primary/pre1a if you find it necessary. I think each of my children had at least one classmate who repeated primary.

SingALong

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 5:56 pm
I have the same issue with ds now, birthday is October 31. He just turned 2 and the nurseries I called for next year only take till August, but officially when he goes to school he's in the same class as these kids. There must be nurseries that cater to this age I just haven't found them yet.
Then when I apply to school I need to decide to keep him with his age and be the youngest or leave him back to be the oldest. I think at this age he's too young to tell.

Pooh

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 6:38 pm
I know but isn't that more traumatic for the kid to stay back when all her friends are moving forward? At that age they get it already. Now it would make no difference to her at all in terms of noticing.
I spoke w the teacher and she said socially she seems fine but she wasn't sure she's getting the material. Like when I ask her what she did she doesn't tell me she just says yes about everything.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 7:49 pm
Totally leave back. Most of my kids are the oldest (I started some late on purpose)
I have one that's the youngest and I really feel bad about it. He's fine socially, academically, etc, got lots of friends, great marks, but I do feel there's a certain something missing that I don't see with my other kids that are the oldest. Maybe I feel like he's always out to prove himself. I don't know.

And also, this may sound funny, but he's leaving the house (the high school we send to the kids sleep there although it's in our town-which I'm fine with) bit he's going to be13! As opposed to my other son that will be almost 15.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 8:08 pm
Do all the schools in your neighborhood have the August cut-off, or is it just that school?
Being the youngest by about 3 months is alot at this age.

My DD was born at the end of November. All the schools that I would consider sending her to have a cut-off of December 1. My DD is currently in a group that is exactly her age and she is doing wonderful. I dont want her graduating at 18 1/2 and feel the rush to get a job and get married. (I know girls like this) . I would hold her back if an educator tells me that my DD needs it for educational or social issues, not just because of her birthday.

I have a DS that's a September baby. He is the youngest in his class. I never heard any complaints from his Rebbe or Teacher. He did have a difficult time when he started going to playgroup, but that could have just been separation issues.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 4:21 pm
I have a similar issue. birthday is October 18 and the school cut offs is Dec 1 or Jan 1.

So if he goes to the Jan cut off school then I would almost for sure send him with his age, but the Dec school im not sure about. He b"h is very smart but has a hard time sitting still. right now hes the youngest in his playgroup- 2 other kids already turned 4! I want to discuss with his playgroup morah if she feels that another year would help him mature. In a way id rather repeat playgroup (prob send to a diff morah next year but for the same age) then repeat in a real school cause tuition costs that much more.

I just want to do right by him but its so hard to know!

animeme

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 9:44 pm
Based on your response that the teacher thinks she's not grasping things, I'd probably repeat, but you can also do the next year in nursery, as mentioned above, and then decide. She will still be young enough at that point to be flexible with friends.

Check with the head of the preschool department of the school you would send to. She can meet with dd and assess where she thinks she's at, including talking to her Morah.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics