Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Booties/tall boots/snow boots - what to get for girls?

L K

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 1:50 pm
Hi,

I'm not sure what to get for the kids for fall and winter, for when it's too cold to wear loafers.

For now, probably, booties or tall leather boots would be good. However, for cold snow days the kids would be better off wearing the warmer ones, like leather uggs (on sale!) or some European nubuck+fur ones. And no, they won't change into shoes in school.

So, the options are:
-booties - leather, waterproof but not for snow
-tall leather boots, like Naturino or Primigi. Good for now but I don't remember from last year whether kids somehow ended up sometimes with wet feet.
-warm medium height boots, as in with fur lining, - not sure if they can wear them when it's 'only' 27-32 degrees, and if they're too short for real snow days. These are super warm but being shorter than knee length, some snow may get in too.

Also, how do you keep the bottom of boys' pants dry in the snow?

Do you think it's possible to choose one solution, or are several pairs necessary?
I'm looking at sales of course but don't want to buy something now only to have to buy smth. else when the weather changes, or worse be stuck without what they need once it gets colder.

TIA

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 2:19 pm
get what they will actually wear

L K

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 2:23 pm
greenfire wrote:
get what they will actually wear

right, that's kind of self-understood, I'm considering only the styles they would like, the question is what type/types they need.

Barbara

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 2:48 pm
Where do you live?

If you live in Buffalo, snow boots are a must. In Atlanta, probably not.

L K

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 2:51 pm
Barbara wrote:
Where do you live?

If you live in Buffalo, snow boots are a must. In Atlanta, probably not.

Thank you, Barbara, you're right, I forgot to mention that.
I'm in Lakewood, it's definitely not Buffalo here but the way last winter went I'm not sure what to do.
I guess in Buffalo I would just go for warm boots and that would be it.
Here we have both medium-cold and lots-of-snow-cold.

sky

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 3:02 pm
I'm in Lakewood.
I just get snow boots and they only wear boots when it snows. Especially the boys. The girls theoretically could wear boots for style but I don't find it necessary and am not looking to spend more on shoes then I have to. they just wear tights with their regular shoes.

For the snow I have snow pants in every size in generic colors that I pass down. I only use it for playing or walking in the snow. When waiting for the bus in the snow we stand in a shoveled area.

If you want it for the style then get stylish booties, but I don't think that takes the place of a good pair of waterproof boots.

L K

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 3:49 pm
Sky, thank you for your response.

I don't want them for style, it's about what's necessary to get them through this winter.
Would you say that for girls it would make sense to get warm boots make more sense than plain leather boots? I've found a good pair of plain leather boots on a good sale now, but not sure if they are going to be good in the winter, and I'll end up having to buy warmer ones too. On the other hand, not sure if I should get the warm ones because those are def. more expensive. I wouldn't want to get lower quality boots for a host of reasons.

They are not waiting in a shoveled area, last winter they literally had to plow through heaps of snow, I hope this winter it will be better because of a new sidewalk here.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 6:20 pm
Last year I got my kids black suede boots that were waterproof and good for snow my kids lived in them. They were also pretty so they wore it also on cold days that didn't snow. It was $100 but worth it since I didn't buy separate snow/rain boots.

This year I got them regular snow boots, target, rain boots, (online) and suede boots (target) that are not waterproof just good for cold days like today. (They were much cheaper than last years). I would've gotten the ugg look, seems warmer, but dd said her school doesn't let so I didn't get those.

Barbara

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 6:43 pm
L K wrote:
Sky, thank you for your response.

I don't want them for style, it's about what's necessary to get them through this winter.
Would you say that for girls it would make sense to get warm boots make more sense than plain leather boots? I've found a good pair of plain leather boots on a good sale now, but not sure if they are going to be good in the winter, and I'll end up having to buy warmer ones too. On the other hand, not sure if I should get the warm ones because those are def. more expensive. I wouldn't want to get lower quality boots for a host of reasons.

They are not waiting in a shoveled area, last winter they literally had to plow through heaps of snow, I hope this winter it will be better because of a new sidewalk here.

Warm, sturdy boots are most important. Leather boots can be plenty warm, especially if they wear thick socks with them, or add removable sheepskin insoles:

http://www.softstarshoes.com/k......html

But warm is the important part.

I'd go for waterproof, but you don't really get enough snow to make it a priority. You can always do cheap rainboots. Target and Payless have them in the $20 range.

spring13

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 7:21 pm
Sounds like waterproof snow boots are really what they need; better to cover all eventualities, this winter is supposed to be bad. You can find some that are at least somewhat stylish, or consider getting some very inexpensive but cute ones (like Payless) for days when snow/wet are really not a problem.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 11:42 am
How old are your girls? I find that from upper-elementary thru high school, my girls wear boots instead of shoes as soon as it gets cold enough. They don't care much about the shoes I buy them - my DD told me not to bother to get her new school shoes as last year's were still fine, and she would soon be wearing her boots anyway. When I buy them shoes, they usually find inexpensive shoes in the mall, anwyay.

So, I will spend a little more on their boots, as a shoe replacement. Both girls wanted Uggs, and we shopped around to get a good price (I got them two years ago on Zulily for $60, and DD is now wearing them for the 2nd year in a row.)

For younger girls, they wear the boots as snow boots, not as shoes. So I won't spend as much. I go to Marshalls and see what they've gotten in, and can usually find something suitable. This year my younger DD insisted that she wants cozy boots, and I'm not willing to spend a ton, so I just ordered Ukala boots from 6pm.com for under $40. I'm hoping their good quality (I would've gotten Bearpaw, but didn't like the style/color of the ones available in her size.)

L K

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 12:06 am
To refresh the topic:

Chayalle, do uggs hold up? Do you have to treat them to make them waterproof, and does the snow get in since they are so short?

Last year I ended up using old tall leather boots and old warm shorter boots for one of the girls, and got leather uggs (they totally don't look like uggs, just cool lace up mid-length boots) for the other one and now we go again; one of the kids insists on uggs or tall warm boots in order to fit in. The problem is 2 years ago I found her a pair of good tall warm boots for ab$110 in a local store but last year nothing fit, she probably tried on 15 different pairs.

I want to know more about uggs in case I end up stuck if in-store boots don't fit again.

If anyone is curious for boys I ended up using mid-height warm boots, it turns out some companies like naturino do make them but sell in stores and not online.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 3:06 am
Can someone post links of STYLISH snow boots for DD, age 9? I love Lands End snow flurry boots, but they're not very stylish and DD won't wear them.

L K

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 3:17 am
Check out uggs on 6pm
Sorry can't post the link

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 8:52 am
L K wrote:
Check out uggs on 6pm
Sorry can't post the link

I don't think Uggs manufactures snow boots, I.e. waterproof boots that can be worn in the snow. Yes, their boots are great to keep warm, but not to plod through snow.

Edited to correct typo/spelling mistake embarrassed

Last edited by Amelia Bedelia on Sun, Sep 20 2015, 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total

L K

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 9:23 am
Look at these, they're not typical snow boots but not regular uggs either:

http://m.6pm.com/ugg-kids-butt.....itter

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 11:07 am
L K wrote:
Look at these, they're not typical snow boots but not regular uggs either:

http://m.6pm.com/ugg-kids-butt.....itter

Thanks! They look great; however, are there any snow boots available for under $60?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics