Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
SPINOFF: tuition, location, hashkafa
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 8:36 pm
Boro park, chassidish boys cheder.
Kita aleph (no English until next year) I pay $3000 for the year. I think it will go up a little next year. They also make a dinner. They really want $750, but I can only afford $250 now.
My other son is in nursery. I believe the tuition is also $3000, but he's on daycare now so I don't have to pay tuition this year.

I guess it's a good thing tuition isn't that much in the chassidish world. They don't get a good enough English education to get well paying jobs. Some people are lucky, but most who make the big bucks do it through opening their own business. Which can work, but is always very risky and many times unsuccessful.

staten islander

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 9:27 pm
Staten island, mo, 8k a kid

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 12:30 am
Lakewood, girls' school, Primary - 5500 K per year (I think)

plus lunch fees $500/year (optional though)

Am I a bad person if I told DH not to donate any money to their optional building/dinner fund or whatever? I feel like I'm paying enough money

(then I came to this thread and see 23K for Oakland and am nearly fainting :-))

theoneandonly

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 4:58 am
Cheder in Yerushalayim, nursery/gan age (4 yo)--180 shekel a month plus 400 shekel a month for transportation. Day ends at 1:20 Sun-Thurs and 11:30 on Fri. At today's exchange rate, that's $46.86/mo tuition and $104.14/mo transportation.

kalsee

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 5:14 am
kindergarten, chareidi, RBS. 450 shekel a year "dmei shichlul" (pays for things like a music teacher once a week, and arts &crafts supplies)

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 5:16 am
Rehovot, Israel. Grades 2 and 5, co-ed school. Dati Leumi, 6 days a week.

No tuition. Books + all fees + class trips, etc. totals about US$500/year for both children combined.

Another child in Dati-Leumi gan (co-ed). Free. Yearly fees for parties/trips/extra classes is about $150.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 5:22 am
Gush Etzion Israel. Religious public elementary school. Free. Around 1500 - 2000 shekels for the year for all sorts of extras.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 5:25 am
Europe, chassidishe cheder. Official tuition is $9,000 but nobody, and I mean nobody, pays it. We pay $10,000 for two kids. Two kids in preschool - we pay $4300 for one and $3800 for the other.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 9:48 am
Silver Spring MD, JPF separate classes, $14,500 per child

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 10:43 am
amother wrote:

Am I a bad person if I told DH not to donate any money to their optional building/dinner fund or whatever? I feel like I'm paying enough money

My donations to the school building fund and dinner are based on what I can afford, not what I feel I should be paying. Because if it were based on what I feel I should give them, I would be bankrupt.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 11:02 am
amother wrote:

Its maaser money. What more important place can you give to then your child's school?

I live in Lakewood and I feel like my child's tuition doesn't cover a fraction of what I owe my child's school. I also know it is less then it costs to educate each child, but they keep it low so that most can afford and then fundraise the rest - so I feel is is appropriate to give what I can.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 11:09 am
Maya wrote:
Monsey, Chassidishe cheder, we pay $7,200 a year.

We recently switched from a cheder where we paid about $4,800 a year, and I know that the average Chassidishe tuition for a yeshivah affiliated with a Chassidus is about $2,500 a year.

Please note that Satmar isn't the only chassidus. While I know individuals there that pay less than $2,500 per year, all of the other chassidishe mosdos affiliated with a chassidus in Monsey charge more. Most parents pay $3-4,000 per year plus transporation and dinner costs. My husband handles the finances of a local chasidish cheder and my children attend a different chasidish mosdos, so my info is fairly accurate.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 11:14 am
amother wrote:
Please note that Satmar isn't the only chassidus. While I know individuals there that pay less than $2,500 per year, all of the other chassidishe mosdos affiliated with a chassidus in Monsey charge more. Most parents pay $3-4,000 per year plus transporation and dinner costs. My husband handles the finances of a local chasidish cheder and my children attend a different chasidish mosdos, so my info is fairly accurate.

You want to tell me that the typical Chassidishe mother with 9 kids sending to a mosdos affiliated with a mosed is $36,000?! no in pupa monsey, not in belz monsey, not in any school I can think of in monsey so if you're talking about people with 1 or 2 kids thats one story, but it totally changes as more kids get added to the picture.....

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 11:31 am
amother wrote:
You want to tell me that the typical Chassidishe mother with 9 kids sending to a mosdos affiliated with a mosed is $36,000?! no in pupa monsey, not in belz monsey, not in any school I can think of in monsey so if you're talking about people with 1 or 2 kids thats one story, but it totally changes as more kids get added to the picture.....

Most Mosdos do charge full but are willing to accept less at a time. My inlaws (viznitz)are still paying back outstanding tuition fees for their grown children . I also know people who paid up the rest of their own tuition in adulthood.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 11:46 am
Northern NJ, MO/Coed, $9k including all fees.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 11:48 am
amother wrote:
I also know people who paid up the rest of their own tuition in adulthood.

I'm still paying my husbands's student loan at a Litvishe yeshiva in Flatbush, that was taken out because my in-laws didn't pay tuition.

cs1

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 12:00 pm
Wete lubavitch but send to a Modern coed school (for now) in NJ
for half day preprimary we pay $4600 plus school fees. About 10k in primary

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 12:09 pm
Maya wrote:
Many reasons. For one, they are largely supported by the wealthy individuals of the kehillah, and the buildings are all owned by and paid for by the administration of the kehilla. Another reason is because their teachers and rebbes are not qualified or educated, and therefore aren't paid on the same level as professional teachers are. Also, extracurricular activities are nonexistent, so that removes a chunk of expenses.

I agree with Maya with regard to the first two points, but absolutely disagree with the third. My daughter is in a chasidish school with gym among other extracurricular activities. I pay slightly less than $3,000 annually, though that includes a 'kolel' discount. And this in Monsey.

harriet

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 12:16 pm
amother wrote:
Most Mosdos do charge full but are willing to accept less at a time. My inlaws (viznitz)are still paying back outstanding tuition fees for their grown children . I also know people who paid up the rest of their own tuition in adulthood.

While we don't OFFICIALLY pay DHs tuition up, he likes to give the yeshivos he went to large donations for this reason-because he knows his parents paid very little for him to attend and feels like he has to pay it back now. . .

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:
I'm still paying my husbands's student loan at a Litvishe yeshiva in Flatbush, that was taken out because my in-laws didn't pay tuition.

A student loan for yeshiva tuition??? Crazy! There is minimal return on investment finances wise. Yes, a yeshiva education is important but way to make a person resent it when he has to dole out money EVERY month to pay off something from decades ago! and it hurts his chances of paying his children's tuition in full.
Who took out this loan- the school or his parents?

Accept my kid at what I can afford. No loans (that's where we draw the line) . When I have money IYH I will pay you bac- though donations, dinner tickets etc.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics