Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Judi's Nursery...prejudice?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 2:14 pm
I'm just wondering for those that have kids at Judi's Nursery or that tried to get their kids in that preschool (located in Kew Garden Hills Queens). This will be the second time that I'm trying to get my kids to this preschool.

I went to their open house and I liked the structural program that they have. However, I'm not too happy that they're not emphasizing on Hebrew as much.

I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone, however, is it just me or does it feel like Judi takes in only Ashkenazi people? I'm half Ashkenazi so I have no problem with that, however, my husband's last name is Sepharadic and my kids look more like him. I'm just wondering how exactly they pick kids to be at their preschool. I noticed that the people that did attend the open house were all Ashkenazi, which is fine, however, I just hope that they're not being prejudice.

The one major reason why I'm applying to this school again is because I live very close to this preschool and it would be great help for me since I don't have a car and it's difficult during winter time. Again, I'm not too happy that they're not teaching much Hebrew to the kids. So this time I won't be too disappointed if my kids won't get in, however, I'll be wondering why they didn't get in.

So now I'm wondering...are there any Sepharadic kids that go to that school?

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 2:18 pm
I don't know if Sephardic kids go to that school, but I am one of MANY (ashkenzaic) people that didn't get into that school, just because you really have to know someone to get in. It's notoriously difficult to get into. They close September the year before. People sign their kids up pretty much when they're born. Literally.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 2:21 pm
OP, I see a niche opportunity here! Have you ever considered opening up a Sephardic oriented gan?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 2:56 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
OP, I see a niche opportunity here! Have you ever considered opening up a Sephardic oriented gan?

If I'd open up a gan, I wouldn't want to just have it as sepharadic oriented. It would be open to all jewish people. Smile

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 3:02 pm
According to the director and assistant, they dont want bucharians there. A few other programs I know of have told me the same thing - I work in the community so I speak with a lot of people. After she told me that, I literally withdrew my application.

Having said that, I DO know a number of ashkinazi families that were turned down. One of whos is extremely wealthy but the parents both work longish hours. She was one of the moms waiting in line the month BEFORE registration opened, with a check for the full year in hand, and was turned down. They had their oldest child at Judis and he was a challenge. So they school didnt want the others there.

I was so turned off by that place, I wouldnt send my kids if it was for free.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 3:09 pm
amother wrote:
According to the director and assistant, they dont want bucharians there. A few other programs I know of have told me the same thing - I work in the community so I speak with a lot of people. After she told me that, I literally withdrew my application.

Having said that, I DO know a number of ashkinazi families that were turned down. One of whos is extremely wealthy but the parents both work longish hours. She was one of the moms waiting in line the month BEFORE registration opened, with a check for the full year in hand, and was turned down. They had their oldest child at Judis and he was a challenge. So they school didnt want the others there.

I was so turned off by that place, I wouldnt send my kids if it was for free.

OP here

Wow! this makes me even happier that I didn't sent my oldest son to this school when he was rejected last year. That's just disgusting that they don't want bucharians...so I'm guessing they might not want other types as well ! It's sad that if this is true, that we can be so prejudice to each other.

I guess they don't take people just with money but they take the kids that are most behaved so the teachers won't have a difficult time.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 3:34 pm
I hear you.
I am a parent in that school, but I also grew up in this neighborhood, and if you open your eyes you'll notice majority of the pre-schools are like that here.
Which is not OK.
And for this reason there are so many more options in pre-schools now then there ever were.

But you are right, but you are also dealing with an age old problem in this neighborhood, unfortunately.

As a side point, Judis is a wonderful school, and my daughter is thriving, but I do get why people are turned off from them.As someone said, they are notoriously difficult to get into, and has been like that for ages, and aren't going to change.
Good luck on your decision.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 3:42 pm
New amother here. It isnt just judis. Camp acheinu is known to gove discounts to "good frum" families only. My daughter worked there and td me that she was told that they want to get
More ashkinazi kids and mess bucharians. Which is weird because they are run by a bucharian guy.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 3:51 pm
What's Judy's last name?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 3:51 pm
I'm going to disagree with the above poster and say that Acheinu is very welcoming to Bukharians. In my son's bunk, at least half the campers are Bukharian (as is one of the directors). They are integrated (at least in his bunk) and win many of the "Best in Learning" and "Best in Bunk" prizes.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 3:53 pm
Disagree if youd like. But my daughter was actually told not to put in too much effort with those kids "because they wont tip well".

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 3:56 pm
Well that's a different story. I don't know how their families tip! [The camp tips are large - I must have spent close to $200 for one child on tips - and I imagine that some of the staff is paid on a tips only basis.]

morah

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 4:14 pm
My sefardi son goes to Judi's. So there goes your theory.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 4:30 pm
morah wrote:
My sefardi son goes to Judi's. So there goes your theory.

I'm glad to hear that. Does he have any sepharadic friends at the school? do you feel ok with the school since the majority seems to be ashkenazi? Again, I don't have anything agains ashkenazis...I just prefer the school to be mixed.

morah

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 8:18 pm
amother wrote:
I'm glad to hear that. Does he have any sepharadic friends at the school? do you feel ok with the school since the majority seems to be ashkenazi? Again, I don't have anything agains ashkenazis...I just prefer the school to be mixed.

I am really ashkenazi, just sefardi by marriage. I have to look at the class list, I'm not sure if there are other sefardim in the class. Honestly, my son is 3, I don't think he has necessarily picked up on these differences. And he is certainly familiar with ashkenazi tunes/traditions simply from spending time with my family. I am much more concerned about the challenges that will come in elementary school and beyond. DH went to a majority ashkenazi school, and our kids probably will too. And I teach in one. I am well aware of how sefardi kids often get labeled as "problem" kids and are assumed to be less academic. Halacha classes get taught with the ashkenazi psak as default, and then the occasional nod to "but the sefardim do Y instead of X". It's definitely a challenge, so I hear where you're coming from.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 9:46 pm
amother wrote:
What's Judy's last name?

BA

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 10:47 pm
I worked in Acheinu for years and did not treat sfardi and ashkanazi kids at all differently.
I actually put my all into a sfardi kids and his parents tipped me quite well for it!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 11:05 pm
I am nearly 40 and I remember when I was growing up in kgh it was a classy status to say that one sent their kids there. Is it possible that I was in playgroup with morah judy's kid before she opened her own playgroup? my siblings never went there but I remember hearing from r' oelbaum type families that they sent their kids there. (yrs ago) I'm in another state now and honestly there are certain playgroups here too that are hard to get in to.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 12:18 am
Another defense for Acheinu... As someone who worked there the camp is probably the most integrated camp in the neighborhood. As mentioned one of the directors is Bucharian himself and attracts a large Bucharian crowd which the camp is happy to have. If anyone made any comments to a staff member regarding who to invest efforts into it was certainly NOT made by any of the head staff but perhaps by some know-it-all counselor basing her opinions on her own anecdotal evidence and she herself may very well have been Bucharian. The head of camp really wants to create a balance where both Ashkenazic and Bucharian campers and staff feel welcome, and does not value Ashkenazic campers/staff over Bucharian, but rather appreciates hard work and dedication from whoever it comes.

Regardless, the issue of Bucharian/Ashkenazic tensions in Queens is a real one- There are cultural differences that create a divide which seems difficult to bridge. I've seen in local schools run by predominantly Askenazic people how the different groups of students would separate themselves. Bucharians with Bucharians and Ashkenazis with Ashkenazis. The school feels like they are an Ashkenazic school catering to an Ashkenazic clientele- but some Bucharians don't want to send to the Bucharian schools whether they think they will receive a better education or be better integrated in an Ashkenazic school I don't know. But it creates tension on both sides where the Bucharians feel they are not being catered to and the Ashkenazic administration is resentful of these accusations. Also, some of these students are very weak most likely because they do not speak English as their first language at home and need to be taught as ESL students. I always believed each school should hire a teacher trained in ESL to assist these students who are at a very real disadvantage.

It really bothers me because it seems wrong but so hard to overcome. Neither side is right and the issues keep continuing. I would think as the generations assimilate into American culture the differences will become less pronounced. But until then, any ideas how to bridge these gaps?

justcallmeima

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 2:31 pm
amother wrote:
Disagree if youd like. But my daughter was actually told not to put in too much effort with those kids "because they wont tip well".

Puke
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers