Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
What is a "candy bar" at a simcha?

4Sisters

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 10:38 pm
Sorry, I don't get out much Smile. You just put out a bunch of candies on a table and let the guests go nuts? Ice cream to go with it or just candy or what?!

Looking for ideas for my dd's bat mitzvah party with about 25 girls. I saw cute candies at the Oh Nuts website and many of the reviews said how cute the products looked on the simcha candy bar. Please explain/give your ideas for a dessert reception for 25 girls who are surely sugar deprived (yeah, right!)

working hard

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 10:47 pm
A "candy bar" is very popular now by Birthday parties, bas mitzvas, vorts... it is a table of only candy and more candy and more candy with a large variety of candy. I have seen several, some with the candy dumped into bowls and put on the table and some beautifully arranged. Along with it you provide fancy bags for the guests to take some candy home in. Keep in mind bag size and amount of candy as guests will fill it up.

cbg

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 11:04 pm
It's all in how you present it.
Look around your house and find pretty bowls and platters to serve the candy in.
If you don't have enough, borrow from family, friends and Gemachs.
A pretty table cloth goes a long way.
Google some images to get an idea.
For example Twizzlers served in a clear short vase.

cbg

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 11:07 pm
You can also print pretty labels for the outside of the jars.

yaeli83

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 11:27 pm
Look at candy bar or candy buffet on pinterest. If you dont have pinterest you can still do a google search for "candy bar on pinterest". They have a ton of cute ideas.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 5:20 am
sounds odd

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 7:28 am
Ice cream Queen Happy Birthday cake Director
I would give out plastic gloves to the kids to be sanitary when they touch all that candy with their hands

sky

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 8:08 am
I think an ice cream bar may be more fun. Bowls of scooped ice cream with an assortment of toppings and sauces (cold in squeeze bottles) and hot.

there is a store here that sells ice cream with tons of toppings (candies, chocolates, cookies, jellies, sauces, nuts, fruit, granola, etc).

[To make it easier rather then scooping the ice cream I'v seen people use the little ice cream dixie cups as the base that come in individual cups. everyone empties it into a bowl and tops.

Here are examples of candy bars. Pinterest has lots more.

Raisin

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 9:14 am
we did an ice cream bar at my daughters bas mitzva. Lots more fun.

Simple1

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 9:26 am
Candy bar is cute, but too sugary for my taste.

Love the ice cream bar, but I'm wondering how you keep it from melting.

If you're open to non-desserts - a salad bar could be fun and healthy. Put out bowls of lettuce, add-in veggies, toppings, and dressings.

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 9:27 am
kids [& some adults Tongue Out ] fill their own candy bags - from a table with lots of different candies in a serve yourself pretty way ... hence 'candy bar' Drunken Smile

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 10:03 am
Simple1 wrote:
Love the ice cream bar, but I'm wondering how you keep it from melting.

We did an ice cream bar at my dd's bas mitzvah. It was the dessert, so we set up the table with cones and toppings earlier, and we brought out the ice cream at dessert time.

shanie5

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 9:10 pm
I've seen a candy bar at a bar mitzvah kiddush. It works great. All the kids rush to eat the junk and the adults get to the real food without wading thru kids.

4Sisters

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 7:54 am
Aha! Thank you all, especially, you Sky! That was amazing helpful to see the photos!

Off to look at the Oh, Nuts website again Smile

p.s. I love the idea about using the dixie cup ice creams! Genius!

Raisin

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 8:00 am
you don't need to scoop the ice cream...just have it in the containers with a few scoops. if you have waiters/waitresses one of them can scoop out the ice cream for each person as needed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics