Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
So hard to go off programs

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 1:09 am
We just miss the cut-off for food stamps and health insurance. We are a family of 4 (2 kids) and we literally just make above the amount. We used to make $25,000 a year and now earn close to $30,000 a year (dh makes about $18/hour and so do I but I work part-time). The monthly maximum is about $2,500 and our monthly income is $3,000.

We really don't have extra income. Our rent is $1000, daycare is about $700/month, gas and car insurance are $300, about $200 on baby stuff like diapers and clothes, $200 on household supplies (toilet paper and the like), electric about $100, and sometimes have big expense like car repair for $400. Now that we need to start paying for food and health insurance (even if subsidized), it is really hard. We probably will really need to cut back and eat very basic. As it is, we never ever spend an extra penny, never buy anything extra (used clothes and shoes for kids or very cheap shoes/clothes from walmart), never go out to eat EVER, and some months we don't cover expenses.

I am so worried - it is great that we are able to make more and go off program but it is hard. can others who just miss the income limits by a small amount tlel me how they managed the transition?

seeker

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 1:41 am
Yes this is the humongous problem with our government assistance system. I think most people go with "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" or whatever the appropriate axiom is for playing the same game as everyone else - basically staying under the limit until you are ready to make the leap. Which is really really hard because most people don't go from poor to high earning all at once. But until you have a way, you think twice before taking on an extra hour of work because that tiny hour will cost you big time - you might earn $100 more over the month but if that puts you over the edge then you lose at least $1000 worth of benefits (assuming food stamps, HEAP, and medicaid for the whole family. But the children won't get kicked off medicaid and Obamacare might subsidize at least some of the adults' insurance, but you will still be several hundred dollars under)

You say you are $500 over the maximum and pay $700 in childcare. Can you claim a deduction for the childcare? I'm not sure exactly how it works but it does factor in somewhere.

little_mage

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 7:08 am
I'm not sure what the solution is, and that's a different thread anyway, but that's hard. Have you looked into WIC? If your children are under five, they're eligible, and I'm pretty sure you can have a higher income then a lot of the other programs.

Pineapple

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 8:10 am
amother wrote:
We just miss the cut-off for food stamps and health insurance. We are a family of 4 (2 kids) and we literally just make above the amount. We used to make $25,000 a year and now earn close to $30,000 a year (dh makes about $18/hour and so do I but I work part-time). The monthly maximum is about $2,500 and our monthly income is $3,000.

We really don't have extra income. Our rent is $1000, daycare is about $700/month, gas and car insurance are $300, about $200 on baby stuff like diapers and clothes, $200 on household supplies (toilet paper and the like), electric about $100, and sometimes have big expense like car repair for $400. Now that we need to start paying for food and health insurance (even if subsidized), it is really hard. We probably will really need to cut back and eat very basic. As it is, we never ever spend an extra penny, never buy anything extra (used clothes and shoes for kids or very cheap shoes/clothes from walmart), never go out to eat EVER, and some months we don't cover expenses.

I am so worried - it is great that we are able to make more and go off program but it is hard. can others who just miss the income limits by a small amount tlel me how they managed the transition?

Is the car really a necessity?

It may be cheaper to take bus/train and even cabs on occasion

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 8:21 am
I agree about the car. not sure where you live but that's where I would think to cut back first.
also, if you don't mind me asking, why don't you work full time? you could probably still get vouchers or something for childcare...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics