Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Lakewood: Harmony Park / Stamford Meadows

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 11:07 am
Anyone have info about these two new developments? We're thinking of relocating to one of the two.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 11:13 am
Assuming you are coming from bp, think hard and be thorough. People are coming with short term thinking that housing is cheaper and then have a complete culture shock when they get here. Schooling and transportation are of the many expenses that are far higher than what you are used to paying.
There is no 13th ave. to walk out on, you are in a deserted area with nothing jewish or kosher around. Many of you dont drive and getting around is a lot more difficult than it is in bp.
Its a different life.
Speak to the people who are already living there for your best answers. Good luck.

sky

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 11:35 am
Do you know the area or cross streats ? I've never heard of them.

mommyla

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 11:43 am
I think Stamford Meadows is being built on Chestnut, but I could be totally wrong. Never heard of the other one.

Sorry, OP, I can't help - don't know anything about either one.

sky

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 11:59 am
If it is still in the building or planning phase people probably won't have too much info.
You can ask the realtor for a list of people under contract and call them to get a feel for the crowd. Or drive by the area and see what is nearby. You can see if there are other Jewish neighborhoods within walking distance (if that is important to you). If there are any other shuls nearby. If there is a Friday night mikva within walking distance (if the builder is promising one make sure he sticks to it - there are neighborhoods where it was promised but was never built).

If it is a new development in the middle of being built make sure you get yourself a good lawyer (not the one the builder is using). I've heard too many stories of things being dragged out, extra costs, building taking longer then expected. You want to make sure you have someone on your side looking out for you.

If it is chestnut then it is far from most shopping and the center of town. More things are being built in that area, like an upscale food store is coming and there are some clothing stores and restaurants in the area. But the bulk is further up route 9. Nothing is really walkable. (A few years ago it was considered in the middle of no where but the area is taking off slowly and more things are coming to that area)

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 12:02 pm
sky wrote:

If it is chestnut then it is far from most shopping and the center of town. More things are being built in that area, like an upscale food store is coming and there are some clothing stores and restaurants in the area. But the bulk is further up route 9. Nothing is really walkable. (A few years ago it was considered in the middle of no where but the area is taking off slowly and more things are coming to that area)

How far will the new Evergreen be?

sky

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 12:17 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
How far will the new Evergreen be?

its down route 9 in that direction.

Its being built were the old Chateau Grand used to be (if you've ever gone to weddings there ages ago, I think the last one was 11 years ago, I was there around then for a wedding)
From there to chestnut and Route 9 intersection is 3/4 of a mile. (and then further depending on how far down chestnut it is).
I don't live in that area, but the chestnut to route 9 intersection isn't really walker friendly.
I think there is another food store closer - Super Stop maybe - about 1/4 of a mile away.

there are things in the area - shabbos takeout, sefarim store, bakery, some clothing and shoe stores, taco place, milchig restuarant, housewares. Its not lacking in stores, its just much more spread out. A few local stores are opening new branchs in the plaza with Evergreen.

BTW, how is evergreen pricing, is it cheap and competitive or is it just a nicer shopping experience.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 12:25 pm
sky wrote:
its down route 9 in that direction.

Its being built were the old Chateau Grand used to be (if you've ever gone to weddings there ages ago, I think the last one was 11 years ago, I was there around then for a wedding)
From there to chestnut and Route 9 intersection is 3/4 of a mile. (and then further depending on how far down chestnut it is).
I don't live in that area, but the chestnut to route 9 intersection isn't really walker friendly.
I think there is another food store closer - Super Stop maybe - about 1/4 of a mile away.

there are things in the area - shabbos takeout, sefarim store, bakery, some clothing and shoe stores, taco place, milchig restuarant, housewares. Its not lacking in stores, its just much more spread out. A few local stores are opening new branchs in the plaza with Evergreen.

BTW, how is evergreen pricing, is it cheap and competitive or is it just a nicer shopping experience.

I'm sure they'll be competitive to start. I've been in the one in Monsey and the prices seemed comparable to other stores.

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 12:40 pm
Harmony Park is the new Belz development on Locust Street, just north of the Toms River border.

Stamford Meadows is on Chestnut Street across from Bnos Orchos Chaim.

sky

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 1:10 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
Harmony Park is the new Belz development on Locust Street, just north of the Toms River border.

Stamford Meadows is on Chestnut Street across from Bnos Orchos Chaim.

So to Stamford Meadows that adds about 1 mile to the distances that I mentioned.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 1:17 pm
[quote="amother"]Assuming you are coming from bp, think hard and be thorough. People are coming with short term thinking that housing is cheaper and then have a complete culture shock when they get here. Schooling and transportation are of the many expenses that are far higher than what you are used to paying.
There is no 13th ave. to walk out on, you are in a deserted area with nothing jewish or kosher around. Many of you dont drive and getting around is a lot more difficult than it is in bp.
Its a different life.
Speak to the people who are already living there for your best answers. Good luck.[/quote]he

are you trying to say that you arent happy there? or you heard of others that arent? how do they manage? is monsey easier to acclimate to? the property tax is even higher. and the winters are colder. so if I move to any of these new locations I will be miserable? so why are so many pp doing it? are they all not happy?

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 1:33 pm
amother wrote:
he

are you trying to say that you arent happy there? or you heard of others that arent? how do they manage? is monsey easier to acclimate to? the property tax is even higher. and the winters are colder. so if I move to any of these new locations I will be miserable? so why are so many pp doing it? are they all not happy?

I'm not one of those "so many people" but I assume they're doing it because they're house-hungry and don't want to move so far OOT.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 7:16 am
Hi, we are considering a townhouse in Stamford Meadows. Is this a good location? How is the shopping? What is the crowd like? Thank you for any information on this development.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 7:18 am
amother wrote:
Hi, we are considering a townhouse in Stamford Meadows. Is this a good location? How is the shopping? What is the crowd like? Thank you for any information on this development.

The crowd is a heimish chassidish crowd. Many of the women went to Bais Yaakov and the husbands wear shtreimels.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 7:40 am
Thanks, any litvish people?

workingmom

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 10:41 pm
I do ! I lived in.Harmony and bought in Stamford Meadows pm me if you want more help
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating