Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Does Acutane for MEN have long term side effectS?

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 1:10 pm
Is Acutane harmful for men?
For my son in his 20's who has broken out - he is in the dating parsha. Does it cause problems down the line in any way? Personal experiences only please. thanks!

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 1:19 pm
My husband took it in his teens. In terms of fertility, we never had a problem with that but I'm not sure what you are specifically looking into.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 4:17 pm
Men and women on Accutane are not supposed to have children for at least a year after finishing their treatment. So, I guess the answer is yes.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 4:26 pm
amother wrote:
Men and women on Accutane are not supposed to have children for at least a year after finishing their treatment. So, I guess the answer is yes.
yes. My sister started it 12th grade so she could guarantee a full year in seminary being off it already

Barbara

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 4:57 pm
amother wrote:

My DS is on Accutane, and I don't believe that is true. The iPledge booklet states that women "who can get pregnant" and who are taking Accutane must take 2 approved forms of birth control for a month before treatment, have monthly pregnancy tests, and continue using 2 forms of birth control for 30 days after stopping treatment (and a negative pregnancy test 30 days after treatment ends). Nothing about a year.

You can give blood 30 days after treatment is completed as well.

There are a number of other possible side effects that anyone considering Accutane should look into and take account of.

ETA, none of this has to do with any impact on fertility, which is not a known side effect AFAIK. Its because Accutane can cause birth defects if taken during pregnancy. But only if the female is taking it. A man can conceive children without risk while on Accutane.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 6:21 pm
Barbara wrote:
My DS is on Accutane, and I don't believe that is true. The iPledge booklet states that women "who can get pregnant" and who are taking Accutane must take 2 approved forms of birth control for a month before treatment, have monthly pregnancy tests, and continue using 2 forms of birth control for 30 days after stopping treatment (and a negative pregnancy test 30 days after treatment ends). Nothing about a year.

You can give blood 30 days after treatment is completed as well.

There are a number of other possible side effects that anyone considering Accutane should look into and take account of.

ETA, none of this has to do with any impact on fertility, which is not a known side effect AFAIK. Its because Accutane can cause birth defects if taken during pregnancy. But only if the female is taking it. A man can conceive children without risk while on Accutane.

What about the impact on a man????

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 6:26 pm
My dh took accutane as a teen. No fertility issues, BH. But he has had IBS since taking it. It is well known that accutane may cause chronic stomach conditions, there is a class action lawsuit ongoing about that.

musicmom

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 12:24 pm
Hi. I get realllly bad acne, like the cystic kind. I have been on Accutane twice, but my problem is long-term and since my teens.. I am in my thirties now and having kids, so I can't take much in the way of medication. My dr. prescribes a sulfer cream and a sulfer soap which is AMAZING. I used to come in for shots to make these mountains disappear, or they would get infected. This cream manages my issues so nicely, it is a miracle for me. I wish all doctors prescribed sulfer, it is truly amazing.

Barbara

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 12:33 pm
amother wrote:
What about the impact on a man????

I've answered this. There are no side effects on fertility for a man. Period. It doesn't cause birth defects if taken by a man. Period. You seem to want a different answer, but it doesn't exist.

There are possible side effects for either gender. Its all set forth in the materials I referenced. You need to read them.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 2:41 pm
My DH became bald very early (late teens he started losing his hair) and he blames it on accutane. He did take an extremely high dose though.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 4:27 pm
You might want to try other things first. Accutane has been linked to suicides - you can google it.

Jughead

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 11:26 pm
my husband took accutane as a teen - now he has Crohn's
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics