Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Tylenol before the bris?

Twizzlers

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 3:25 pm
I do not remember what I've done with my older kids, but can/should I give my baby tylenol before his bris?

blueberries

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 3:38 pm
Mazal Tov!

Systemic Analgesic: It has been shown that systemic analgesics, for example Infants’ Tylenol (Acetaminophen), while not helpful for relieving the pain of circumcision, is of moderate benefit for any post-circumcision discomfort. Many practitioners are recommending a single dose 1 hour before the circumcision and a single dose 4 hours after. If you decide to use a systemic analgesic then carefully follow the recommended dose (usually 40mg) provided by your child's physician (always keep a written log of the date/time/dose of administered analgesics).

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 5:57 pm
Mazel Tov!! We didn't give and my babies seemed relatively ok.

miami85

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 6:43 pm
I was advised by my pediatrician to NOT give tylenol before the bris, I forget exactly why, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with masking signs of infection afterwards. I don't recall giving much if any tylenol to my boys--and I'm pretty liberal in general with the tylenol.

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 6:58 pm
why not spare him some pain ... I would think yes

mazel tov !!!

minnie mouse

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 7:23 pm
I gave my baby before the bris and 1 dose after. I dont remember how much. my baby's bris was 1 week late, if it make a difference.... mohel suggested it.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 8:22 pm
DH used to be a mohel, and he always gave Tylenol before the bris. He's been doing it for ages, and never had a problem with it. He didn't worry about post procedure infection symptoms being hidden, because he checked on the baby every day for several days, until he was sure that it was closed and healing well.

When you hire a mohel, make sure that they're willing to stick around for a while. You don't want someone who's going to "snip and run". You want someone who will give you complete post op care instructions, and will do follow up visits for as long as it takes.

abaker

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 9:46 pm
miami85 wrote:
I was advised by my pediatrician to NOT give tylenol before the bris, I forget exactly why, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with masking signs of infection afterwards. I don't recall giving much if any tylenol to my boys--and I'm pretty liberal in general with the tylenol.

yes I remember our mohel said something about how you DONT want to give tylenol because you need to be able to see ASAP if he has a fever, because it could be infection. a little discomfort for baby is way better than possibly missing signs of infection, a way more serious concern.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics