Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Afternoon routine

mother of three

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 10:40 pm
I am having trouble with my afternoon routine and looking for some ideas that someone would like to share. My kids are 10, 8, 5 and 2. By 4 pm everyone is home and hungry! I decided that if I don't feed them dinner then they end up snacking until dinner and don't want to eat later. I started to feed them at 4 and then they play until 6 when my husband comes home and we eat dinner altogether, which means I am serving dinner twice which I don't like but can't figure out how else to do it. The kids like to sit and talk about their day although the younger two are tired and ready for bed. My husband puts the little kids to bed while I clean up and do homework with the older ones which can end up taking until 8 pm and then they start heading up to shower and bed, they get to sleep too late. Would love to figure out how I can get the kids doing homework after they eat when they come home but they usually need help and I am busy with the younger kids. It's hard to give them good attention. If anyone has any good ideas or tips that have worked for them, please share! Thanks so much.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 11:06 pm
I serve dinner twice also. It drives me crazy, but we have a pretty good routine.

Healthy snack when the big kids get home at 4.

Dinner 1 at 5.

After dinner 1 the big kids sit down to homework for 30 minutes at the dining room table. They do whatever they can on their own +whatever I can explain/help with from the kitchen or den or wherever I am with the little kids. Then they go play and I go bathe the little kids. 6ish big kids start baths/showers till about 6:45. Then clean up toys and games and set table for dinner 2

Dinner 2 at 7ish.

7:45 little kids in bed while DH helps with homework.

8:15 I check homework and help with whatever is left

Big kids in bed between 8:30-45

All times are approximate, but you get the general idea.

dr. pepper

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 11:18 pm
I alternate between giving supper when they walk in the door or a snack to hold them until supper time...usually around 5:30. They get home around 4.

But in either case, homework is always done immediately after eating (be in supper or snack).
No if, ands or buts.

My oldest child has proven to me that he can do it on his own and have recently been allowing him to do one st of homework then and the other half later on in the evening (ex: hebrew homework first...then english later. or visa versa, whatever he chooses). It works well for this child's personality, being the oldest, etc.

It's just how I was raised. Homework first. Play later.

Supper is always followed by DH giving me about 10-15 minutes to clean up without distractions and then I take over from there as he is unavailable to help out due to his job. Sometimes he starts bath in that time or helps oldest child with his homework.

Bedtime starts around 7 going in order from youngest to oldest.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 3:35 am
Reviving this thread so I can get some more ideas
thanks

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 7:15 am
The younger kids and I have supper at 4, then around 6:30 we have "bedtime snack" (basically another supper but different food) with father and older kid.

I am a fan of lots of small meals because it's healthy and keeps the metabolism up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics