Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Second hand smoke from e-cigarettes- is it okay?

Would you be comfortable with second hand smoke from e-cigarettes?
Yes  
 14%  [ 7 ]
No  
 76%  [ 36 ]
Other (please explain)  
 8%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 47

the world's best mom

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 10:47 pm
Would be comfortable with someone smoking e-cigarettes in your home? Or going to someone else's home with your kids where someone is smoking one?

eastsidemother

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 10:54 pm
I would be ok with my kids being around someone smoking an e-cigarette if it was something that happened rarely. But someone smoking them all the time in my house? I would not be ok with that. The vapor has toxic metals in it. The vapor is better than the smoke from regular cigarettes, but if I could have my children avoid both that would be the best.

If you have someone in the house who smokes regular cigarettes and is trying to quit, e-cigarette vapor would be better than cigarette vapor, but I would want the person who is smoking them to use them as a step down from smoking with the goal being to stop both sooner rather than later.

eastsidemother

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 10:55 pm
Also, if you have a child with asthma, I would definitely not allow it at all.

the world's best mom

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 10:59 pm
I have a child with asthma and a fil who used to smoke outside on his porch, and tonight he was smoking an e-cig. inside his house. Do the toxins linger or are they only a problem while the smoke is there?

amother

Post Sat, Nov 22 2014, 11:04 pm
I read lately that there is something called "third hand smoke". This means that the smoker is not in the room with you when he smokes, but he comes in with particles from the 2nd hand smoke on his body and clothing, and you are thereby exposed to the toxins.

I don't know if e-cigs are included, but my rule is not to be the guinea pig for anything. We may find out in 10 or 20 years that these e-cigs are worse than we realized. Why would you take a chance?

(E.g. my relative needed a PET scan after which they tell you to avoid pregnant women and children under 2 years old for 48 hours. I say, why should any of us be exposed?)

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 4:16 am
I use an ecig. I've been doing it for years, and DH has no idea. He can't smell a thing. DD knows I use it, and can't smell it at all. It doesn't leave any residue on my clothing or my breath, either.

It's really much cleaner than you'd think, so do real research before you read articles full of scary stuff (and look closely at who funds and publishes the articles. A lot of the negative ones come from tobacco companies and government agencies that want to impose more taxes and regulations on them.)

Ecigs have helped millions of people around the world to quit smoking, and have made homes safer for millions more children and elderly family members. They're also much cheaper than cigarettes (because they are not taxed and regulated to death), which means that families have more money in their budgets for food and shelter.

Of course it's best not to use anything at all, but if you have to choose, it's good to have a less harmful choice. I'm just happy my clothes don't stink anymore, and I don't have to stand outside in the rain to have a smoke. Very Happy

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 9:25 am
amother wrote:
I use an ecig. I've been doing it for years, and DH has no idea. He can't smell a thing. DD knows I use it, and can't smell it at all. It doesn't leave any residue on my clothing or my breath, either.

It's really much cleaner than you'd think, so do real research before you read articles full of scary stuff (and look closely at who funds and publishes the articles. A lot of the negative ones come from tobacco companies and government agencies that want to impose more taxes and regulations on them.)

Ecigs have helped millions of people around the world to quit smoking, and have made homes safer for millions more children and elderly family members. They're also much cheaper than cigarettes (because they are not taxed and regulated to death), which means that families have more money in their budgets for food and shelter.

Of course it's best not to use anything at all, but if you have to choose, it's good to have a less harmful choice. I'm just happy my clothes don't stink anymore, and I don't have to stand outside in the rain to have a smoke. Very Happy

I understand the benefits of ecigs for smokers. I am not questioning if they are better than regular cigarettes. I know that they are assumed to be better, though we really won't know the full affects until enough people have used them for enough time to do a study on it.

My question was if I should be at all concerned about having my kids around someone who is smoking one. They are not usually exposed to smoking at all. Ds has asthma, which he got the year his bus driver used to smoke on the bus (he had an hour bus ride each way).

I'm surprised at the results of the poll. I expected mostly yeses, even though I was uncomfortable with my fil smoking in the house.

So now my question is, now that I know my fil smokes ecigs in the house, and saying we will never go there anymore is not much of an option, what about going there for Shabbos when he can't smoke? Or going there when he's not home? How concerned should I be?

I do not see it as an option to ask him not to smoke near my kids.

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 9:29 am
in my personal experience having someone try out an e-cig in my home - there is definitely a lingering odor - can't imagine it not being toxic on some level - as it caused coughing - that's without asthma

I would not allow that in my home any more than I would allow any other smoking cigarette ... especially around kids/asthmatics/elderly/sensitive people

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 10:11 am
Maybe you should ask your pediatrician. That way you can also blame anything on him/her.

mille

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 10:56 am
There are e cigs with no 'second hand smoke' or anything. The ones that produce a 'smoke' produce vapor -- it's not smoke, there's no combustion. I have family members who use them, and they prefer the 'smoke' ones because it has a similar mouth feel to actual cigarettes.

Can the amothers above please provide SCIENTIFIC sources that show that there are 'toxic metals' in the water vapor of e cigs? And also a scientific source that inhalation of "toxic metals" can be harmful to one's health? I haven't read anything of the like.

Personally, I think it's rude to smoke any sort of cigarette or pipe or e-cig that produces a vapor or smoke in front of others. It's really distracting to try to talk to someone who is smoking and blowing **** around in the air. I don't think it's an issue of health, it's an annoying thing to me.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 11:01 am
I did just speak to the pediatrician. She said that he should not be smoking any kind of cigarettes in any house near any people, and especially near my asthmatic ds, because there are many things that can set off an asthma attack, like pollen for some people... However, she said not to worry about third hand smoke from e-cigs.

yidisheh mama

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 7:48 am
Occasionally, on the streetwould be ok. In the house, no way!

estibesty

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 7:52 am
It's water vapor there NOTHING to worry about.

ahuva06

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 7:53 am
I don't like it but my husband smokes it literally all day. I don't have a choice...

Volunteer

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 11:45 am
I don't know enough about the contents of e cigarettes to say anything about second hand toxicity. But if the smoker was someone who would be around the house a lot (such as a relative or neighbor) I would be concerned about setting a bad example for my kids. I very much dislike substance use.

Miri7

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 12:16 pm
I heard a piece on NPR in the last year and there was some study that found that smoking e cigarettes indoors does expose others to nicotine etc. so that should definitely only be done outside away from kids.

Miri7

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 2:30 pm
I think this is the study I heard discussed: https://pressroom.usc.edu/seco.....ents/

That is a link to the press release. I didn't read the actual study.

My DD has asthma and I would not let people use those around her. We are careful to avoid a lot of environmental triggers.

mille

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 5:43 pm
Miri7 wrote:
I think this is the study I heard discussed: https://pressroom.usc.edu/seco.....ents/

That is a link to the press release. I didn't read the actual study.

My DD has asthma and I would not let people use those around her. We are careful to avoid a lot of environmental triggers.

This thread's almost a year old, but I DID request sources, so thanks. I'll have a look tomorrow when I'm back at work and have journal access.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 6:37 am
estibesty wrote:
It's water vapor there NOTHING to worry about.

It seems unlikely to me that all of the nicotine in the vapor gets absorbed in the lungs of the e-smoker and none escapes when the e-smoker exhales.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics