Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Umbrella stroller or double stroller?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 12:08 pm
BH I had my first baby six months ago. Right now I use my snap and go for the car but my ds is on the bigger side so I will IYH switch to the convertible car seat soon. So I was told I should get an umbrella stroller for the car. I already have a seperate stroller I use for neighborhood walks.

My question is, if we have a 1 year heter for bc and will be trying for another baby in a few months, should I only get strollers that can convert to a double or just get singles now and whole new strollers in a year? I also want to get a jogging stroller. Thanks!

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 12:19 pm
How easy is it for you to find buyers for your used strollers? What's your storage situation? There are so many factors to weigh.
Remember that going off bc is by no means a guarantee of having a baby soon, so buying an expensive stroller just because it converts to a double needs to be considered carefully with your budget in mind.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:
How easy is it for you to find buyers for your used strollers? What's your storage situation? There are so many factors to weigh.
Remember that going off bc is by no means a guarantee of having a baby soon, so buying an expensive stroller just because it converts to a double needs to be considered carefully with your budget in mind.

Ok but is buying an expensive umbrella stroller worth it if one plans to have more kids?

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 12:26 pm
Why can't you put the regular stroller in the trunk when you need it instead of buying an umbrella? Most people don't use three different single strollers on a regular enough basis to justify the necessity.

There's nothing wrong with buying a single to double if you hope to have another one soon, but I don't know of any that qualify as an umbrella or as a jogger, so what would that be for?

smss

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 12:31 pm
amother wrote:

Ok but is buying an expensive umbrella stroller worth it if one plans to have more kids?

so don't buy an expensive one, you can get a decent one for like $50, wait till black friday and probably cheaper than that.
the ones that convert to a double (I have one like that) are not great for the car...they're pretty heavy and bulky. take up a lot of space in the trunk and hard to lift in and out.
in a few more months your baby should be able to sit up in a shopping cart.

just a few points to consider...

smss

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 12:34 pm
the only reason to get an umbrella stroller for the car is because it's easier to lift in and out than a regular full-size stroller. getting a stroller that converts to a double will not be any better than using the stroller you already have.

that's what I was trying to say in my last post, anyway Smile

Iymnok

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 12:43 pm
At 2 or 2 1/2 your child won't be riding as much. Is an expansive convertible worth it? Maybe buy a double when you need it put the other in storage the overlap it's not always so long.
As always try out every one that's a possibility. Either on the store or borrowed from a friend.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 12:50 pm
Single strollers are worthwhile because even with two kids you will ocasionally or even often need to run out with only one child, or take one to a babysitter, etc.
It sounds like you have a very good but bulky single stroller, plus a car seat frame. In that case a foldable umbrella stroller (or may I recomend the baby jogger city mini?) will come in handy once baby outgrows the car seat frame, and will continue to be used once there are more kids iyh.
Another thing to consider is that often parents going out together with both babies prefer to grab a single stroller each, rather than drag and push a bulky double stroller. So a good foldable single is definitely not a waste.
Like another poster mentioned, most convertibles like the city mini select, bugaboo donkey, orbit baby, are very bulky too.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 1:01 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Why can't you put the regular stroller in the trunk when you need it instead of buying an umbrella? Most people don't use three different single strollers on a regular enough basis to justify the necessity.

There's nothing wrong with buying a single to double if you hope to have another one soon, but I don't know of any that qualify as an umbrella or as a jogger, so what would that be for?

I got an uppababy vista as a gift but it doesnt fit in my car. So I use that for walks in my neighborhood. For now that and my snap and go work great. I do like to run so when it warms up I like the idea of a jogging stroller. But I need something to replace my snap and go pretty soon.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 1:12 pm
OK, I would hold off on the jogger if it's not for now anyway, and just get a lightweight stroller for the car then. The vista can convert to a double or you can choose to get a true double when the time comes. No need to make that decision now Smile

spring13

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 5:29 pm
You already have a stroller that converts to a double. Get a lightweight stroller (not a city mini, a proper umbrella fold) for the car. You can get a good one that even reclines for under $200, under $100 if simple is ok (and I'm very happy with my $50 model!). If you're going to be out with two kids and will need to move both along, you can always use a baby carrier (like an Ergo or a Boba) for the younger one.

Do you want a jogger for actual jogging or just because the sidewalks in your neighborhood are really bumpy? If you want a real fixed-wheel jogger look into buying that on Craig's List or at a local consignment store, you'll get one very cheap that way.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 5:58 pm
http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin.....MWFAU

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 6:10 pm
Thanks ladies Smile I think we are getting the gluxe, I heard its great for travel too. When it gets warmer I like to run outside but the streets around me are bumpy, but I will look for deals for that.

UNfortunately I have the 2014 uppababy vista which you can add a rumble seat to, but I hear the 2015 converts to a true double. Oh well. IyH things will go according to plan!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics