Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Kindergarten child with sensory issues

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 2:02 pm
My son is in kindergarten this year and is having difficult time focusing and participating in any activities . He doesn't interact with kids or sit for circle time etc. teacher said he is always wandering around .He is a smart verbal boy with sensory issues. has anyone had experiwnce with helping a child with these issues in a classroom setting ?

bookworm10

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 2:39 pm
Have you tried getting him evaluated for OT? Lots of sensory kids benefit from OTs who can work with them on stimulating them more or less, depending on what they need with sensory.

To get him to sit in circle time- is he on a chair or on the floor? Sensory kids have a hard time on the floor. They sell weighted vests that he can wear, or he can maybe hold silly putty or a squish ball to help him concentrate.

mommydearest

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 3:21 pm
Get him evaluated! (I know - my son was exactly like yours....) If you live in Brooklyn, feel free to PM me. I know great evaluators through the Board of Education or privately (if your insurance covers it). Don't wait. As he gets older and has more learning challenges, it will just get more difficult.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 6:12 pm
Where I live they would usually assign a SEIT to help with the classroom issues and an OT for the sensory angle. Starts with a DOE evaluation.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 6:40 pm
he allready gets all therapy. I am looking for additional help and advice on what to do .

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 6:55 pm
There are a lot of websites with a lot of good classroom-based ideas and resources. These are OT/sensory websites, mainly selling stuff but also with good suggestions. You can also google "OT sensory classroom ideas" to get some more resources.

funandfunction.com
sensorysmarts.com
pfot.com
pinterest - under ot and sensorimotor ideas

good luck!

amother

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 7:03 pm
My son sounds exactly like yours. He gets alot of therapy. We were told to take him to a developmental pediatrician. We have an appt in 3 weeks.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Nov 23 2014, 7:21 pm
Have you asked his therapists to address the problems in the classroom? His OT should put together a sensory diet for home and another one for school, including strategies specific to circle time or other challenging periods throughout the day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers