Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
RBS Aleph Schools
1  2  3  4  Next

Dena

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 7:02 am
Im looking into some schools in RBS A for when we make aliyah, and im hoping you ladies can shed some light onto the best option...

my options so far are Magen Avot, Ahavas Yisroel (Rappaport) & Darchei Noam.

Can you tell me more about these schools?

thanks ladies x

Health is a Virture

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 9:32 am
by the answer to your question, you can tell I have been in Israel for a long time :-). very quickly...

all are very American!

Rappaport is considered charda'L...strong emphasis on daati and leumi (ie. lots of pictures of R' Cook hanging up on the walls, celebrate yom haatzmut, prob. daven hallel, etc.) Darchei Noam is more yeshivish, but does have a picture of R' Cook, as well as other rabbanim/gedolim hanging on the walls.
agen Avos is more yeshivish, but has a stronger limudei chol than Darchei Noam. The principal of Darchei Noam is the nicest thing in the world.

I wld speak to the schools and see the schools...a picture is 1000 words...feel free to pm me

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 10:34 am
We made Aliyah in the summer and our son is in third grade at darchai Noam and we are very happy.

We didn't apply to rappaport. We tried to apply to Magen avot but there was a lot of paperwork and they were not very acceptive. In fact they rejected my three year old from gan.

Apply early - like now for next year.

Darchai Noam is very American and has experience with Olim. If my son was younger I might have chosen a more Israeli school for him but he is 9 and the transition is hard enough as it is for him. When I say very american I mean the boys speak English during recess - and they give the kids prizes if they speak Hebrew - as opposed to other schools.
Where the boys speak Hebrew during recess because that is the language they are most comfortable in.

Also it's very much an all or nothing system. If one kid goes to darchai Noam they all have to go. The other schools won't accept the other kids unless you have some sort of protection/know the right people.

The where

5*Mom

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 10:53 am
amother wrote:
as opposed to other schools.
Where the boys speak Hebrew during recess because that is the language they are most comfortable in.

Only in the chadarim or the mamad schools do the boys speak Hebrew among themselves. In Magen Avot and Rappaport it's all English among the kids.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 10:57 am
5*Mom wrote:
Only in the chadarim or the mamad schools do the boys speak Hebrew among themselves. In Magen Avot and Rappaport it's all English among the kids.

I don't know about Magen Avot or Rapport - but the other school we were looking at was Torat Moshe and even though they have a large anglo population the boys all spoke hebrew during recess (I think also the school required it).

5*Mom

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 11:04 am
amother wrote:
I don't know about Magen Avot or Rapport - but the other school we were looking at was Torat Moshe and even though they have a large anglo population the boys all spoke hebrew during recess (I think also the school required it).

Um, I live right near Toras Moshe and hear the kids during recess. Not a word of Hebrew passes their lips.

sunny90

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 11:52 am
My son goes to Toras Moshe and it's a really wonderful school. He's in mechinah (gan chovah). I know a lot of the boys in his class speak English but when he plays with them in school he speaks Hebrew (I just asked him, he told me they also know a lot of Ivrit Smile)

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 12:03 pm
5*Mom wrote:
Um, I live right near Toras Moshe and hear the kids during recess. Not a word of Hebrew passes their lips.

Maybe when I was there this past September for an interview it was speak Hebrew day because all the kids spoke Hebrew at recess. Not that speaking Hebrew is a bad thing. I would have sent my kids there if Torat Moshe would have accepted them. I got the feeling they didn't want to deal with Ollim.

Dena

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 12:39 pm
this is all so interesting & informative - thank you.

I have an 8, 5 & 2 yr old - can they all go to toras moshe? can my daughter go to ahavas yisroel if the boys go there?

is there a good balance of chol in toras moshe?

also, ive heard that the mothers can wear open toed shoes & denim in toras moshe, is this true?

I know thats not the case for MA which puts me off a bit

sorry for the bombardment of questions x

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 12:56 pm
Torat Moshe is a Zilberman like school and they like kids to start there and go all the way through - they learn all of of Torah by third grade - so an 8 year old will be too old and they won't want to catch him up. So they may not take your 8 year old. Torat Moshe has a three year old Gan - meaning the kids turn three by I think some time in December. Darchai Noam does not have a three year old Gan. They only have a 4 year old Gan. So if you send to Darchai Noam and your son is not 4 by January 1, you will have to find another place for him.

So far, I have not seen anyone in Ramat Beit Shemesh in open toe shoes and denim. People don't dress like that here as far as I can tell, even people who are less right wing and not yeshivish. Its Israel - and its hot. So people wear sandals in the summer - often without socks. But no one is wearing 7 inch Loubatain heels even if they can afford it. Its much more low key here. People don't dress like they dress in the United States, particularly in NYC/NJ metro area.

Most people who cover their hair wear scarves of some type - the long beautiful sheitels come out on Shabbos, maybe, more likely for simchot, but not to pick kids up from school or go grocery shopping.

Dena

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 1:06 pm
amother wrote:
Torat Moshe is a Zilberman like school and they like kids to start there and go all the way through - they learn all of of Torah by third grade - so an 8 year old will be too old and they won't want to catch him up. So they may not take your 8 year old. Torat Moshe has a three year old Gan - meaning the kids turn three by I think some time in December. Darchai Noam does not have a three year old Gan. They only have a 4 year old Gan. So if you send to Darchai Noam and your son is not 4 by January 1, you will have to find another place for him.

So far, I have not seen anyone in Ramat Beit Shemesh in open toe shoes and denim. People don't dress like that here as far as I can tell, even people who are less right wing and not yeshivish. Its Israel - and its hot. So people wear sandals in the summer - often without socks. But no one is wearing 7 inch Loubatain heels even if they can afford it. Its much more low key here. People don't dress like they dress in the United States, particularly in NYC/NJ metro area.

Most people who cover their hair wear scarves of some type - the long beautiful sheitels come out on Shabbos, maybe, more likely for simchot, but not to pick kids up from school or go grocery shopping.
I dont own a pair of Loboutains nor would I ever even if I could afford it. I cherish my feet too much nor do I care that much for the fickle world of fashion. but I do love my flip flops in 98 degree heat!!

so theres no concentration of chol in TM?

where do the girls go to?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 1:15 pm
Dena wrote:
I dont own a pair of Loboutains nor would I ever even if I could afford it. I cherish my feet too much nor do I care that much for the fickle world of fashion. but I do love my flip flops in 98 degree heat!!

There is Chol in TM. But Chol means math, hebrew language, Science. You won't get English language (if they have it - it starts in 4th grade) and most people supplement with an English Chug.

Girls go to Magen Avot, or Rappaport, and many go to Bais Yackov Bnos Malka which is an anglo girls bais yackov associated with Michlala in Yerushalim. The N'shei of Torat Moshe and Bnos Malka do events together which I think means the parents likely have kids in both schools. Similarly, many people who send their boys to Darchai Noam also send girls to Bnos Malka.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 1:21 pm
Dena wrote:

Also, you wouldn't wear flip flops here even in 98 degree weather. Its really dusty. Your feet would be black in 5 minutes. You would just dress differently. Laundry is different (the washers are much smaller and even if you can find an American size washer if it ever broke you would have a hard time fixing it and your water bill would be crazy). As Anglo as Ramat Beit Shemesh is - it is still Israel, with an entire different culture and style of dressing.

5*Mom

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 1:39 pm
Um again, plenty of people here wear flip flops in the summer and I personally love my denim.

kalsee

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 2:01 am
Bnos Malka and Toras Moshe are sister schools. (is that what it's called?)

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 2:31 am
I thought Bnos Malka and Darchei Noam were in parallel.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 2:36 am
5*Mom wrote:
Um again, plenty of people here wear flip flops in the summer and I personally love my denim.

I know some do, but I've rarely seen it. And not in any very public places.
A young relative of mine wanted to know if she could wear flip flops around when she visited and I said she should wear whatever she normally wears. She was somewhat uncomfortable walking around RBS that way.
I've seen more denim but not tons.

Just stating what I've seen not what's right and wrong.
Torat Moshe has a weak secular program.
Darchei Noam's is stronger.

kalsee

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 2:36 am
amother wrote:
I thought Bnos Malka and Darchei Noam were in parallel.

I think parents who send to bnos malka are equally likely to send to darchei noam as to toras moshe.
On the level of hanhala, rabbanim, administrative issues - bnos malka and toras moshe are officially together.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 3:18 am
the optional english chug actually starts in second grade in TM.
yes there is english- as there is in any school w/ Anglos- both boys and girls- but there's also a nice amount of hebrew. the kids tend to be considerate of the hebrew (or french) speakers in their class.
there are a few "older" kids who've transferred into TM from other schools who don't learn Zilberman style, and seem to be adapting well.
in terms of dress I've seen flip flops and denim in DN and TM.
from my friends who send to TM and DN both seem to be warm loving schools. DN caters more to Americans and might be easier for a new oleh to acclimate there.

Health is a Virture

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 5:52 am
you would not send your daughter to Rappaport and your son to Darchei noam, toras moshe, or magen avot. Rappaport is considered charda"l...the other schools are not.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions