Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Corelle for shabbos: yay or nay?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

BlueRose52

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 12:02 pm
I'd like to clarify my prior comments.

I see nothing wrong with people wanting to go extra fancy for shabbos, and if they find china to be the truly more regal choice, I think they're doing something wonderful.

But what I was referring to was when sometimes the basis for our choice is not really about what's better for shabbos, or for our relationship with HKBH, or for the right reasons, but rather for ourselves.

I'm sure we've all had situations where we were faced with two options that seemed equally appealing to us on the surface, but we knew that one of the choices would garner more respect from our peers, maybe because of the brand name, or because it had a reputation in the neighborhood, or some other less tangible reason that made it more desirable to us.

If we choose to use something for shabbos because we really feel that that's the better/nicer/higher-quality/fancier option, than we're doing it to enhance shabbos. But if we're choosing it because it will make us look better to our peers, or some other self-serving reason, then we're doing it to enhance our own egos. That's what I was referring to.

I don't know the OP at all and I genuinely didn't intend to impugn her intentions, so my comment wasn't meant to be a criticism directed at her. I was referring to a general pattern that I've often encountered which her scenario reminded me of.

I apologize if I offended anyone.

etky

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 12:17 pm
Barbara wrote:
I have far too much china. It just kind of multiplies. My late MIL's everyday meat dishes (Noritake). My late MIL's everyday dairy dishes (Noritake -- orange and harvest green monstrosities, boxed up in the bottom of my coat closet). My parents' never-used china converted to my dairy dishes. BIL and (ex?) SIL's wedding china (also Noritake). My wedding china (Lenox, I'm a rebel). Bits and pieces of other things that just sort of find their way to us.

I also have some Corelle.

I like my Corelle. Its easy to store. Easy to put in the microwave. But the lack of color saturation and crispness to the design, not to mention the feel of the dishes themselves, are not the same as china.

My Grandmother z"l's good china was Noritake. I remember her saying something about how everyone who had gotten married around the time that she did (pre-WWII) bought Noritake china. Apparently it was the 'in thing'. Unfortunately she was quite butter-fingered so all that have survived are some of the serving pieces and a plate or two. I think that's why she eventually became such a Corelle fan....

sky

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 12:18 pm
@BlueRose52 I hear you.

I have a set of China and I use when I don't have guests and for my kids (once they are the age of chinuch, around 4\5)

I feel that if I just pull out my fancy China for guests then it isn't for shabbos, its too impress my guests. But if I use China every shabbos and it doesn't feel the same without it then I really am using the China for shabbos.

I don't think there is anything wrong with correlle if that is special for shabbos.

(I don't recommend Stoneware at all - I have it for milchig and it is heavy, takes up tons of space, and chips and breaks easily).

nyer1

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 12:27 pm
if someone is telling you corelle isn't good enough for shabbos, then maybe they should be buying you a whole new set of china. napkin rings, chargers and accent plates included.

etky

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 12:27 pm
ruchelbuckle wrote:
Oh, and if anyone wants to weigh in on the patterns I am considering, please do so.

Cherish: square embossed
http://www.worldkitchen.com/en......html

Bella Faenza (I am leaning towards this one)
http://www.worldkitchen.com/en.....art=1

I would not use the mugs at the shabbos table....will need to get new glasses/water goblets (open to suggestions!)

Both are beautiful and actually quite similar. I think it boils down to the shape- whether you prefer the more modern square or the traditional round. Maybe keep in mind that if you want to mix and match with other sets than the round might be preferable.

BlueRose52

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 12:39 pm
nyer1 wrote:
if someone is telling you corelle isn't good enough for shabbos, then maybe they should be buying you a whole new set of china. napkin rings, chargers and accent plates included.

Am I the only one who doesn't know what a "charger" is?

Barbara

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 12:42 pm
BlueRose52 wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't know what a "charger" is?

It goes under the dinner plate to create a wider rim and attractive look. No food goes on it.

The bottom piece is the charger.

Alas, lots of china, no chargers.

sky

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 12:42 pm
Quote:
Charger plates or service plates are larger plates used during full course dinners or to dress up special events like parties and weddings. Charger plates have been around since the 19th century.

North America

Food is not actually served on chargers, they are often called underplates or chop plates. The word "charger" originated around 1275 - 1325 from the Middle English "chargeour". Formerly, a charger signified either a large platter or a large, shallow dish for liquids.

They are usually larger than most common dinner plates. Since they are not used for food, charger plates can be found in a variety of materials, from traditional china, to metal, wood, glass, plastic and pearl. And they may be decorated with substances that can be toxic if ingested.

Charger plate etiquette and use varies. Some professional catering companies remove the decorative charger plate as soon as the guests are seated. In other instances, when the design of charger plates complements the design of dining plates, charger plates are left on the table throughout the course of the meal. However, charger plates are always removed before serving desserts.

Europe

In service à la russe charger plates are called service plates and are kept on the table during the entire meal until dessert is served. Service plates act as a base for soup bowls, salad plates, and for the main course. A service plate is removed before dessert.

sky

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 12:44 pm
Barbara wrote:

Alas, lots of china, no chargers.

I'm happy to wash my china. But I cannot see myself also washing a decorative plate that serves no other purpose.
I've really only seen it at fancy catered events, but I do know people that use it when they have guests.

Barbara

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 12:49 pm
ruchelbuckle wrote:
Oh, and if anyone wants to weigh in on the patterns I am considering, please do so.

Cherish: square embossed
http://www.worldkitchen.com/en......html

I would not use the mugs at the shabbos table....will need to get new glasses/water goblets (open to suggestions!)

I'd go for round -- I suspect you'll tire of the square, or they'll get dated quickly.

Some Corelle patterns come in sets of 18 -- service or 6, no cups. See if you can find that when you buy.

etky

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 12:51 pm
sky wrote:
I'm happy to wash my china. But I cannot see myself also washing a decorative plate that serves no other purpose.
I've really only seen it at fancy catered events, but I do know people that use it when they have guests.

I've always wondered where people who actually had them (don't know anyone who does) stored them. They are very large and also take up lots of precious space on the table.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 12:57 pm
Corelle open stock often goes on sale. I purchased most of my Shabbos Corelle at an open stock 50% off sale at an outlet store in Lancaster PA.

BlueRose52

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 1:00 pm
Barbara wrote:
It goes under the dinner plate to create a wider rim and attractive look. No food goes on it.

Oh, I think I've seen it, but never heard it called that. In my mansion, my butler clearly prefers not to use them.

Barbara

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 1:01 pm
BlueRose52 wrote:
Oh, I think I've seen it, but never heard it called that. In my mansion, my butler clearly prefers not to use them.

Fire the butler?

kima

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 1:07 pm
Another factor against china, in my opinion: Growing up in a house with fancy china, my mother made us kids crazy about handling them. When we washed them, when we cleared off the table, when we put them away. I imagine our lives would have been that much less annoying if she'd had Corelle instead.

If you're the kind of person who stresses out about stuff like that, do yourself and your family a favor, and go with Corelle.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 1:47 pm
I actually ate a family who used chargers a little while ago. And there were over 20 people at that shabbos meal!

We used corelle before we had china. I definitely like my china, but there is nothing to prevent corelle from dressing up a shabbos table with the right pattern....my kids use the corelle still while the adults use the china, so my table is mismatched -- all matching corelle may look nicer Wink

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 1:54 pm
etky wrote:
I've always wondered where people who actually had them (don't know anyone who does) stored them. They are very large and also take up lots of precious space on the table.

Not necessarily. I mean, if you do need every inch of space on your table and in all your cabinets, then yes. I have chargers and they're stacked neatly in a pile about two inches high (for 8 chargers). I still have room to store a couple of challah trays and covers on that shelf. I think it adds a lot to my table, and since I don't have separate shabbos dishes, it dresses up what we normally use all week.

ruchelbuckle

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 1:59 pm
kima wrote:

If you're the kind of person who stresses out about stuff like that, do yourself and your family a favor, and go with Corelle.

So....it happens to be that I am totally not like that. For example, when china broke this shabbos, I wasn't upset. I said, "get a broom and clean it up quickly, please." It didn't even occur to me to be upset about china!

It's funny, because you'd think from my post that I am the type that is totally stressed out about how stuff looks and everything.... I guess I DO like things to look nice, but I wasn't upset or anything when it broke.

smss

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 2:02 pm
ruchelbuckle wrote:

I love this one. and I think the bowls are very shabbosdik Smile

I got very nice glasses at target for pretty cheap, I think 12 for $20 or something like that.

smss

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 2:11 pm
OP, maybe get this set instead if you don't want the mugs anyway:
http://www.target.com/p/corell.....54872
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars