Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How do I get my 1.5 year old to stop pulling other kids hair

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 9:21 pm
Any ideas? Question says it all. I know what triggers her, being angry, tired, hungry, overstimulated etc. but I don't know how to stop it besides for preventing her from being angry, tired, hungry, overstimulated etc.
Anyone have ideas to get child to stop?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 9:26 pm
Say "no"
Gently remove her hand from the other kid's head
Name the emotion she is feeling
Direct her to a different activity

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 9:29 pm
amother wrote:
Say "no"
Gently remove her hand from the other kid's head
Name the emotion she is feeling
Direct her to a different activity

Thank you
Doing that. It worked up to a point (now she only pulls hair when upset).
Any other ideas?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 9:34 pm
amother wrote:
It worked up to a point (now she only pulls hair when upset).

Maybe teach her how to show she is upset without hurting others. If someone takes her toy teach her to say ''no''. Hope this helps.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 9:49 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe teach her how to show she is upset without hurting others. If someone takes her toy teach her to say ''no''. Hope this helps.

Thank you, I've been doing that too. Now I feel like a great mom! I was concerned that it was something I am doing wrong!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 9:51 pm
You are most likely great! 1.5 year olds are really young still.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 11:31 pm
You're doing a great job!
In addition to the above, give her a stuffed animal that will give her the same sensation. Either something that has "hair" that stretches or something that she can pull. There are so many stuffed animals out there, hopefully you can find one that will work.

Dev80

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 3:08 am
Aside from discipline methods, if it's really bad, you may just have to be really on top of your child and be there while he plays with other kids. My son is like this (it's gotten better as he's getting older and learning to talk) but I am very on top of him while he plays with others.

At the park I watch to make sure he is not hitting/pulling hair of the other kids and remove him and apologize to the other parents if he is. At playdates I need to sit on the floor with him. I know this doesn't sound so practical but you can be consistent and explain that we don't pull hair but 1.5 year olds don't really get it....

With his big brother it's harder to always be on top of them but I do my best, and he doesn't go anywhere near the baby when I'm not around since he is a little bit aggressive.

But it does get better!

chani8

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 4:06 am
I handle this two ways:

Keep younger and more vulnerable kids a safe distance from the hair puller.

I tell the other kids that they should react to the hair puller. They can yell at him, push him away, and stop playing with him. This is usually the best way, because it teaches other kids not to tolerate abuse, and it's an immediate response and natural consequence to hair pulling.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics