Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Double standard

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 9:41 am
I teach limudei kodesh in a school where secular studies are taken more seriously than religious. That's the reality we're working with and we have to work really hard to make engaging lessons and pull them in to want to learn. I mean, that's true of any teacher, but this particular school's culture means it's an uphill battle for the kodesh teachers. Classroom management can be a bit difficult, but with proper planning and constant vigilance, I have a handle on it. Anyway, there is a rabbi who doesn't seem to have very good classroom management. When I am teaching in the room next to him, there is so much NOISE coming from his room, and if you walk by, there are always kids up out of their seats and again, a lot of noise. My class is orderly, kids in their seats, though I switch up the configurations (semi-circle, rows, groups) depending on the plan for the day. Last week, I did a jeopardy game to review for a test (which was yesterday). Things got a little lively, but not loud and not out of hand. It was a successful lesson. The problem is, the Hebrew principal didn't think so. He told me it wasn't appropriate and I needed to get a handle on management. I didn't argue, but felt that was unfair that he made a judgment by just what he saw through the window rather than popping in to see what what actually happening in class. But fine, I have not had an issue before, and everyone gets side-eyed at work now and then. But then yesterday we had a department meeting, and he singled out the rabbi I mentioned and was all about how innovative and exciting his lessons are, the kids are "engaged", the atmosphere is "leibidik", and it's not always the quietest classroom but it's important to make things as fun as possible because we need to get these kids interested in Judaism and Torah learning. So why is it when I do something fun it's a "classroom management problem", but when he has NO control over his class, it's "making Judaism fun and interesting"? Why the double standard?

iluvy

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 10:32 am
Grr. Call a meeting with the principal? There is this stereotype of the "fun rebbi" and the "out of her depth female teacher" that might be affecting things. But he also may have gotten feedback specifically about the rebbi that kids love his class and are excited about it.

morah

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 10:51 am
I am not on the LK side of things, and I am also in a school where the kids value secular studies more. I know a lot of my students don't enjoy The Great Gatsby as much as they enjoy getting an A so they have a better shot at Harvard... But I agree that male teachers seem to get more of a pass. Kind of like how when dad gives the the kids candy or puts mismatching socks on them, he is a hero for being an "involved" and "loving" and "hands-on" parent, but when mom does the same, she is being "irresponsible" and "not on top of things". I definitely see that happen with teachers too. I think you need to stand up for yourself a little more. Not in an argumentative way, but explain what he saw, maybe show him that day's lesson plan. And maybe speak up at meetings to contribute your innovative ideas. I know, easier said than done. And maybe it's best not to bring up this incident again, but keep it in mind so you can hold your own if it happens in the future.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 10:59 am
Absolutely school dependent... sometimes even the principal has a slant, sometimes the parents...

I've seen both.
In PS I've seen a double standard against arts, sports, and second foreign language.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics