Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
How much does a p3 agency pay their providers?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 10:39 pm
I know the regular rate when you work independently, but what is the pay when you work through an agency?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 11:03 pm
It varies. An agency can take off anywhere from $5-20/hour or even more if they want to. You would have to call different agencies to check each one's rates.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 11:21 pm
Do you have contact info for agencies?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 11:42 pm
$70/hour. Involved litigation proving that the students can only get what they need at this rate. Not the easiest students but definitely worth it, my regular rate students weren't a piece of cake either and this way I have no self employment tax. There's more paperwork to do for the agency but far less headache than getting money out of the DOE directly.

I've been offered IIRC $25. For large group sessions. I told them not to bother calling me back.
I've accepted $35 when I needed a boost - I may have even taken $30 for a summer case, I don't remember whether it was 30 or 35 but summers are really dry for SETSS so I took it. $35 was when I was just starting out and needed the support of not doing everything on my own. After a few months of that I started taking my own cases and never looked back until I received the "enhanced rate" offer.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 11:50 pm
How in the world do you get this "enhanced rate?"
I am a very experienced high school provider yet I still only get between 40-80 per hour-usually 60 ish.
And I have a hard time filling my day with enough group hours.
Please advise!
I keep thinking that I must look into other places, other options. I love what I do and I love the environment but I'm earning peanuts at the end.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 12:05 am
The parents (via agency in my case) have to take DOE to a hearing with evidence that they have attempted to find a provider for the child and couldn't, but that they have a person who will do it but charges a higher rate. The provider in turn has to actually charge that higher rate, I.e. not also be taking regular cases. So it's a drop of a gamble but because this agent knows what she's doing I felt it was worth waiting and by the beginning of November I had a full caseload.

2BZ

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 12:11 am
wow.
That's amazing.
Do you care to share who your agency is?
You must be in Brooklyn, cuz out of Brooklyn its hard to find enough cases in nearby schools.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 12:14 am
2BZ wrote:
wow.
That's amazing.
Do you care to share who your agency is?
You must be in Brooklyn, cuz out of Brooklyn its hard to find enough cases in nearby schools.

Quite the opposite. Out of Brooklyn, because in Brooklyn there seem to be enough providers to keep the agencies paying low. I don't live in Brooklyn but I'm assuming if it's hard to find cases in schools, it's because the schools are not cooperative - because I have gotten many requests from parents to see kids at home, presumably because they can't get in school because why else would they put themselves through such a hassle.

2BZ

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 12:18 am
You got me thinking now-
I never even consider doing p-3 after school hours because the rates are so low and it wouldn't be feasible to find groups.
But if I can contest the pay as you stated then I can charge 70 per hour for one student?

In school hours are tricky in Frumer schools since they usually won't allow pullouts in the mornings.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 12:29 am
I agree, the schedule in frum schools is an issue that I bet could be worked out if people were more willing. Especially since I have seen kids who do nothing but disrupt in the morning but they will not waive school policy. I now work in an MO school that is still a very nice Jewish place where I feel very comfortable but don't have so many hang-ups. PS, I do do kriyah with some kids I see during their Hebrew time. On my session reports I call it "phonemic awareness" or the like.

I suggest you talk to a special ed lawyer about contesting the rates. Really I had this idea myself to just become an agency and do this (because I don't think it pays enough as an individual, but if you were able to apply the same strategy to a number of cases and take a little cut of each still leaving plenty for the provider - 70 is what I get after the agent's cut, I don't even know what she's making off it but I don't care because I'm satisfied enough) but I just don't have the time/energy/managerial skills for this at this time. But someone could be doing this and theoretically making a killing; there are definitely kids who are not getting their services which should be a compelling argument to the DOE.

SYA

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 7:34 am
I heard enhanced rate is 100. You do not need to go through an agency. A parent can do it herself if she knows what she's doing or get an advocate for a few hundred dollars to do it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics