Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby screams all day unless I hold her Help!
Previous  1  2

chani8

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 10:34 pm
Maybe it's time to up her bottle. How much are you giving her, and how often. She should be getting like, 180ml - 210ml bottle, 4 to 5 times a day, depending on her weight. How long does she wait between bottles.

I've learned, that when holding doesn't calm a baby, then swaddle her, put her in her crib, and let her CIO. It could be that your large family is too much stimulation for her, and she wants quiet and not to be juggled around so much.

Liebs

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 11:09 pm
amother wrote:
I always wonder how holding a baby relieves their pain??

Usually means baby is fine if good in your hands. Simply spoiled (like mine!).
If hungry would cry more in your hands and try to latch on (unless too young still).
On the other hand, I read a story of a wounded (soldier I think) burnt patient in crazy pain. He was screaming a whole day out loud in hospital. N/t got him to calm down. His mother came and he was quiet. She found one tiny spot where not burnt and rubbed that spot over and over. The love of a Mom!!!

abby1776

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 1:04 am
My DD screamed for 3 months straight and then stopped. She grew out of what ever was bothering her. We were traumatized though and now that she is 7 we still look at each other waiting for the screaming to start.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 2:23 am
My baby is same age and I am having a hard time with his crying too. For the first 9 weeks we were struggling with the nursing despite lots of help from bf councillor and he was suffering from alot of gas so needed to b held upright as he was uncomfortable lying down now that has settled down a bit but he still only sleeps max 40mins at a time bw 7am - 10pm and needs alot of attention. One thing that made a big difference was cranio osteopathy. I feel emotionally exhausted by him and his crying at the times when I have to put him down to deal with other kids just stresses me out so much. How do u handle it?
Big hugs to you x

5*Mom

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 5:28 am
Liebs wrote:
Usually means baby is fine if good in your hands. Simply spoiled (like mine!).

Not at this age. It's to do with the actual physiology of nervous system development and maturation. Human contact and soothing touch also release endorphins which are natural pain/discomfort suppressants. Again, a baby this young who is crying to be held and is noticeably calmer most of the time when held has a physiological need to be held. She's organizing her brain and needs your help. This is a need you want to make sure gets met.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 6:04 am
So Dh took her to dr last night to make sure she's ok and he suggested increasing the dose of Zantac. He says wanting to be held all day and not sleeping are signs of acid reflux.
We will see if that helps, or if it's really her nature to need to be held a lot.
Thanks for all the replies and chizzuk!
Good luck and hugs to the other women in this situation- it's really really hard! Hug

chavs

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 10:37 am
My baby is 3 months as well and cries if he isnt carried and because I homeschool my other kids I need my hands free so I wear my baby in a wrap or other ergonomic sling. It means that I have my hands free and can cope with my other kids and because he is held he is more settled. I use a wrap or other ergonomic carriers as they are better for baby's hips and better for my back as I get pain very easily (with these carriers I dont). It's honestly the only solution for us, it also helps in that when he needs less stimulation he just turns he's head into me so he is facing away and gets peace. If your baby has reflux being upright in a carrier would also help.
It can get really tough but I wouldnt suggest letting your baby cry it out as she is either telling you that she needs you and wants to be carried or that she has some pain and then she'll at least have her mummy's comfort and not be alone in her pain. As difficult as crying is its the only way she can communicate at the moment. Just like I wouldnt leave my older child or husband or friend when they are in pain or sad/lonely I would certainly not leave my baby. The good news is that this stage passes, I look at my other kids and they are so big and dont want cuddles that much anymore, it does pass. Hopefully the medicine will help your baby too. Good luck!

imaima

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 11:42 am
I second that maybe she is also overstimulated by many children. Do you have them at home all the time? Do you ever have a quiet moment?

hinenimuchan

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 9:12 pm
My son was like your baby. In our case it was reflux.

A few days of Maalox (don't remember dose, but it was tiny amount as per pediatrician's recommendation) made a huge difference. A couple of weeks and he was a normal baby.

I sympathize with you; I tried everything from modifying my diet, to accepting it as immature nervous system/colic. He was my first and I literally spent about 18 hours a day holding him upright, with him screaming much of the time, and even when I did (I probably was not holding him "just right.") Only when it reached 3 months and his behaviors solidified into a pattern that I could describe to the doctor did the doctor treat it as reflux, explain to me that reflux is actually extremely painful for them and apologize to me.

I would suggest that until you get a resolution you avail yourself of any help you can get from others holding her (family, bikur cholim). Screaming like that at that age is NOT from being spoiled or need to bond/soothe. While bonding/soothing is certainly important she literally just needs to be held in the right position and you do not need to be the one doing all of that.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics