Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
To keep DS back or not?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 1:35 pm
DS turned 3 in October.

He is k"h very bright (talked early, understands a lot and mentally is on the level of the older children in his playgroup and kids his "grade" in neighborhood). In the past I briefly thought of keeping him back since the deadline is Dec 1st in the school, but then I felt that he is the type of kid that if he isnt stimulated/busy he would make trouble, so maybe better keep him with the group he falls into.

Now his playgroup morah thinks he has sensory issues and I agree (thank you to those who responded to my post recently with ideas for working with him until the OT eval and approval happens). In particular with constant motion and having touching everything and not understanding spatial boundaries with his peers (or family for that matter)

So we are seriously thinking of sending him to a different 3yo program again next year and then he will be among the older kids in the class instead of the youngest.

Dh is still not so sure about it, doesnt want him to feel like hes ahead of the whole class- but I think many people do keep their kids back so it wont be a problem. (his playgroup this year already has two 4yo out of 8. the morah I want to send to next year (who I called to discuss how she would work with him) said she has five 4yo out of 20 children)

Any opinions esp from parents who have done it or educators on the pros/cons of keeping a child with their age group or keeping them back?

lizard8

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 9:33 pm
I would send him to a four year old program next year and repeat it if necessary. Keeping him back this year will mean starting him the year with kids who haven't had their upsherin. There is a huge development growth in maturity and educationally between 3-4.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)