Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Storage for large pots?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 6:52 pm
As I work on planning the storage space in my (hopefully soon to be built) new home, I am thinking about improving how I've stored certain things.

I expect to have space to store all of my Pesach utensils in or near my kitchen. Most will probably be on the upper shelves of a large closet/pantry (NOT a cabinet, a regular closet with shelves to use for larger items).

I have a number of large pots (think 12-16-18-20 qt) as well as a lot of smaller ones. In the past, my Pesach stuff was in the basement, in a locked cabinet, and the smaller pots were just stacked on the shelves while the larger pots were packed into trash bags and put into a larger closet.

Since these will now be right next to my regular kitchen (and in a closet that may have chometz items in it), I'd like to put the pots into "something" -- preferably more durable than garbage bags. I was thinking maybe of something like cloth laundry bags. For example, my china will be in china storage cases, silverware in closed silverware cases.

Any good ideas? I'd like the closet to look nice when opened also.

mazal555

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 9:58 pm
Do you use them often? If so, I would suggest a pot rack. If not, they will just get dusty and be something else to clean.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 9:26 am
Did you read my post? I'm talking about Pesach pots, and I am looking for something to put them in, previously used garbage bags, thinking now of laundry bags. Want something that looks nicer and is sturdier and more permanent. I'm also considering Rubbermaid storage bins. The issue is that the pots are very large and I have a lot of them.

mazal555

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 3:19 pm
Sorry. Too tired to function here I missed that

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 4:19 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Did you read my post? I'm talking about Pesach pots, and I am looking for something to put them in, previously used garbage bags, thinking now of laundry bags. Want something that looks nicer and is sturdier and more permanent. I'm also considering Rubbermaid storage bins. The issue is that the pots are very large and I have a lot of them.

It wasn't clear from your post. I also thought you were looking to store your large everyday pots in a closet used also for pesach items.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 4:21 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It wasn't clear from your post. I also thought you were looking to store your large everyday pots in a closet used also for pesach items.

Okay, I just reread the OP and I see how it could have been interpreted that way.

To clarify. The closet is basically chometz pantry style storage for larger items. I want to use upper shelves of it store Pesach items which I want encased in "something" practical and decent looking and more durable than garbage bags. I'm looking for ideas as to what to put the Pesach pots (which includes a number of very large ones) into.

TIA.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 4:37 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Okay, I just reread the OP and I see how it could have been interpreted that way.

To clarify. The closet is basically chometz pantry style storage for larger items. I want to use upper shelves of it store Pesach items which I want encased in "something" practical and decent looking and more durable than garbage bags. I'm looking for ideas as to what to put the Pesach pots (which includes a number of very large ones) into.

TIA.

I like your cloth laundry bag idea.
I have also made my own cloth drawstring bags using the material I wanted along with nice braided rope.
I can easily imagine nice zippered cloth bags, the kind that quality linens come in. I'm sure it would be simple to have these made to size at an inexpensive dressmaker.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 4:38 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I like your cloth laundry bag idea.
I have also made my own cloth drawstring bags using the material I wanted along with nice braided rope.
I can easily imagine nice zippered cloth bags, the kind that quality linens come in. I'm sure it would be simple to have these made to size at an inexpensive dressmaker.

That kind of thing was my original thought, but now I'm wondering if something like Rubbermaid storage bins might be even better.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 4:57 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
That kind of thing was my original thought, but now I'm wondering if something like Rubbermaid storage bins might be even better.
If you have enough room for those, that would be ideal in keeping the dust out and making everything easy to wipe down.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 5:02 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If you have enough room for those, that would be ideal in keeping the dust out and making everything easy to wipe down.

I think that the upper shelves should have enough room; and if I really fill them they'd use the space more efficiently due to the rigid shape. I guess I need to wait to make sure if there is enough space or not.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics