Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Lets liberate ourselves from grossly expensive shaitels
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

southernbubby

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 10:04 pm
I have also found that if you buy a cheap synthetic sheital you can have it styled for very little at those Korean beauty supply stores that sell cheap wigs. Cheap wigs are great for those occasions where you will wear a hat over it anyway because it is either cold and you need a hat to stay warm or it is hot and you are wearing a sun hat. Some cheap wigs look good temporarily but don't last that long.

One of my grandsons has special needs and goes to a special school in Beit Shemesh. The staff there cannot wear sheitals to work because the children will pull them and ruin them or pull them off the heads of the wearers. They staff all come to work in hats, scarves, and snoods. The wrappunzel look is very pretty but it does take effort and to me it doesn't look so comfortable with all that stuff on it. I know people though that have ones to match each color of outfits that they wear so they really look put together.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 10:34 pm
'if I didn't take them, she didn't have to pay for them. "

No, but she did have to think about them. Keep records concerning them. Have contact with you. Talk to you. Spend time that way.

If she is doing this as an ongoing thing, that adds up to many hours of her time, with many ladies like you. People's time has a dollar value.

And she is dealing with emotionality. Clients having a bad day in general and not liking anything, and also, changing their minds. All that has to be paid for. If it isn't paid for, she isn't going to do it.

If she stops doing it, you will be googling "synthetic wigs" and "synthetic wig shampoo".

I did, and I am happy, so maybe that's not the end of the world.

Southern Bubby is right that if you are wearing a hat over a synthetic, you are getting very close to nobody being able to tell at all. Because the crown is where they might be able to tell.

I disagree with SB that they don't last. With careful care, and rotating few of them, they do last.

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 10:46 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
'if I didn't take them, she didn't have to pay for them. "

No, but she did have to think about them. Keep records concerning them. Have contact with you. Talk to you. Spend time that way.

If she is doing this as an ongoing thing, that adds up to many hours of her time, with many ladies like you. People's time has a dollar value.

And she is dealing with emotionality. Clients having a bad day in general and not liking anything, and also, changing their minds. All that has to be paid for. If it isn't paid for, she isn't going to do it.

If she stops doing it, you will be googling "synthetic wigs" and "synthetic wig shampoo".

I did, and I am happy, so maybe that's not the end of the world.

Southern Bubby is right that if you are wearing a hat over a synthetic, you are getting very close to nobody being able to tell at all. Because the crown is where they might be able to tell.

I disagree with SB that they don't last. With careful care, and rotating few of them, they do last.

There is a certain value to the SM's and her secretary's time. It is not $750 worth of value. There is no sales tax charged so there is no income tax paid either. This is a charge what the market will bear situation.

kb

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 10:51 pm
Who says there's no sales tax charged or income tax paid? How do you have the right to decide that all sheitel machers work off the books??! (Honestly shocked at such an assumption which I KNOW isn't even true!)

And if you don't feel it's worth the markup, then find a different way to get a sheitel. You can go the Dolly route and buy synthetic, or you can order from ebay, or second-hand...

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 11:03 pm
kb wrote:
Who says there's no sales tax charged or income tax paid? How do you have the right to decide that all sheitel machers work off the books??! (Honestly shocked at such an assumption which I KNOW isn't even true!)

And if you don't feel it's worth the markup, then find a different way to get a sheitel. You can go the Dolly route and buy synthetic, or you can order from ebay, or second-hand...

I didn't say all sheital machers. I said in these home based sheital businesses. I have never been charged sales tax except when I order sheitals on line even from store fronts. There are obviously some working off the books. If they are not charging sales tax, there is no way they are paying income tax on their sales income. You don't have to be a genius to figure out these businesses aren't legit.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 9:28 am
I do agree with Dolly that if you have several synthetics and rotate them they will last longer. The Paula Young site states that their wigs give 3 months of use if worn daily. Obviously, if each was worn only once or twice a week, it would last longer. I think that the majority of wig wearers do not do so for religious reasons. Whenever I visit the Korean wig shops, there are women there that are looking for alternatives to their usual look. Paula Young also sells special wigs to those who lost hair from chemotherapy and those wigs are more comfortable on a bald head but the wearer probably doesn't buy more than a couple of them to alternate. By the time the person is ready to stop wearing the wigs, they are probably worn out.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 9:29 am
Squishy wrote:
I didn't say all sheital machers. I said in these home based sheital businesses. I have never been charged sales tax except when I order sheitals on line even from store fronts. There are obviously some working off the books. If they are not charging sales tax, there is no way they are paying income tax on their sales income. You don't have to be a genius to figure out these businesses aren't legit.

Why attack this statement? It could be true.

SRS

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 9:50 am
Squishy wrote:

There are way too many business that are not in compliance and educating people about the laws as well as raising expectations that people comply is important to the integrity of a community. But not separately charging sales tax is no indication of evasion. There are businesses that choose to price flat and take the sales tax out of the amount paid rather than tack on sales tax. It is a common practice for furniture shops.

SRS

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 9:57 am
Squishy wrote:

There are way too many business that are not in compliance and educating people about the laws as well as raising expectations that people comply is important to the integrity of a community. But not separately charging sales tax is no indication of evasion. There are businesses that choose to price flat and take the sales tax out of the amount paid rather than tack on sales tax. It is a common practice for furniture shops. I think the pricing of sheitels would make it an attractive way to conduct business. In my community, I think the sheitel makers are remitting all taxes due. I am aware this isn't the case everywhere.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 1:32 pm
Well my wigs last a good while. It is true I am retired and at home, and not active outdoors, as others are. There are also no children pulling on them. I don't lie down in them. I do cook in them sometimes.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 1:44 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Well my wigs last a good while. It is true I am retired and at home, and not active outdoors, as others are. There are also no children pulling on them. I don't lie down in them. I do cook in them sometimes.

I was just looking at the Paula Young site in order to buy something to wear under snow hats and some of the ratings on the wigs stated that they did not last long. Some people sweat a lot and if the wig is long and exposed to the sweaty body, it frizzes.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 2:00 pm
You would wear a wig cap underneath a synthetic, so as not to sweat on it.

I comb sparingly, using a very wide tooth comb, much wider than the combs I see sold as "wig combs".

I am no fan of perfect hair, and shake the wigs hard to get a normal look. Some of those people may be over-combing.

I have got frizzy ends after a long time. You can even have them trimmed off.

And - I wash them myself. No styling, the set is permanently baked in. No fears in the rain. Cooler in summer, because they are capless.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 2:02 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
You would wear a wig cap underneath a synthetic, so as not to sweat on it.

I comb sparingly, using a very wide tooth comb, much wider than the combs I see sold as "wig combs".

I am no fan of perfect hair, and shake the wigs hard to get a normal look. Some of those people may be over-combing.

I have got frizzy ends after a long time. You can even have them trimmed off.

And - I wash them myself. No styling, the set is permanently baked in. No fears in the rain. Cooler in summer, because they are capless.

The problem is more with longer synthetics that brush against the shoulders and frizz but as you say, trimming them may extend the life of the wig.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 3:43 pm
Let me just remark that the fit is adjustable.

If it's too big, or loose, there are little hooks to tighten it. I never need those, and always cut them off.

But - if a synthetic is too tight, also no problem. Take a scissors and cut the band, down at the back of the neck, snip right through it.

It will not hurt the wig. You can snip again at the other side of the nape of the neck too, if it's still too snug.

One of my favorites must have been a Petite, because I had to snip it ALL around, several times. No problem. I am happy with it and it stays on fine.

Bang the top of your head down so it doesn't stick up at all.

Mess it around with your fingers. Nothing styles as well as fingers.

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 7:23 pm
Honey, in elaborate headscarves of pure silk that perfectly match my custom-made gown, I still look ready to wash windows. If I cannot find an acceptable hat to go with my outfit, I will be wearing a wig. Some women have the overall build and facial structure to look like queens with their heads wrapped in old diapers; those of us not so blessed will stick to more flattering alternatives.

Which still doesn't mean spending a year's tuition on a wig. You can get perfectly fine wigs for a lot less.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 4:16 am
zaq wrote:
Honey, in elaborate headscarves of pure silk that perfectly match my custom-made gown, I still look ready to wash windows. If I cannot find an acceptable hat to go with my outfit, I will be wearing a wig. Some women have the overall build and facial structure to look like queens with their heads wrapped in old diapers; those of us not so blessed will stick to more flattering alternatives.

Which still doesn't mean spending a year's tuition on a wig. You can get perfectly fine wigs for a lot less.
Im sure I would look wonderful in a long wig. But my hashkafa (and husband too Smile ) isthat I dont cover with a wig. Im not sfardi, we just dont. So sometimes covering in a mitpapchat is about hashkafa as much as how one looks.

And no offense zaq, I dont know a soul who when wearing a beautiful mitpachat will still look like a window washer. Never! Very Happy

Sanguine

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 5:08 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Im sure I would look wonderful in a long wig. But my hashkafa (and husband too Smile ) isthat I dont cover with a wig. Im not sfardi, we just dont. So sometimes covering in a mitpapchat is about hashkafa as much as how one looks.

Shabbat - Assume we have similar DL hashkafot add to that the mitnachalim mitpachot... When I got married in America, I didn't even cover my hair. Only started after we made aliya cause most (not all, but most) women with our hashkafa cover their hair (especially on Yishuvim, though even here not all). Maybe cause I didn't right away, I never got into that new-bride-hat-collection. A wig was certainly never a thought when I was younger. But if you read my earlier post, I now wear a wig. It's not fancy and sheitel looking. It looks like my own hair. It's either cause all my mitpachot look like shmattes cause I really never get into shopping for more, or maybe cause I'm older so I don't look as "cute" in a mitpachat.

It's not a matter of hashkafa (TTYTT, when I started covering my hair it also wasn't a major hashkafa change, it just seemed like the right thing to do cause most people I hung with did). This wig isn't a change of hashkafa at all. It's just a matter of easier to get dressed. Take the "accessories" out of dressing and look even better.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 5:15 am
Sanguine wrote:
Shabbat - Assume we have similar DL hashkafot add to that the mitnachalim mitpachot... When I got married in America, I didn't even cover my hair. Only started after we made aliya cause most (not all, but most) women with our hashkafa cover their hair (especially on Yishuvim, though even here not all). Maybe cause I didn't right away, I never got into that new-bride-hat-collection. A wig was certainly never a thought when I was younger. But if you read my earlier post, I now wear a wig. It's not fancy and sheitel looking. It looks like my own hair. It's either cause all my mitpachot look like shmattes cause I really never get into shopping for more, or maybe cause I'm older so I don't look as "cute" in a mitpachat.

It's not a matter of hashkafa (TTYTT, when I started covering my hair it also wasn't a major hashkafa change, it just seemed like the right thing to do cause most people I hung with did). This wig isn't a change of hashkafa at all. It's just a matter of easier to get dressed. Take the "accessories" out of dressing and look even better.
sanguine, I do NOT wear the mitpachhot the way you are talkin gabout the mitnachalim mitpachot, very high, with a few mitpachot on your head. Never could pull that off and I get headaches from two much on my head.
I have exactly two hats after 9 years of marriage. I have probably 20 mitpachot. Simple 10 shekel ones.

Now, when I said hashkafa I just meant that I have some friends that davka dont cover with a wig. They are not sfardi or charedi (some streams dont wear wigs) but also agree that we dont cover with someone else's hair. Thats all. Does that make more sense? Maybe hashkafa is the wrong word. It was a specific thing that I actually talked to my husband about.
Its interesting that you said that maybe at your age you dont look cute anymore with mitpachot. My mother, who is 60, started wearing mitpachot almost exclusively, maybe 5 years ago. So I really think age has nothing to do with it.

Heyaaa

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 5:48 am
zaq wrote:

Do you think these look like your washing windows?
http://www.rinatilakel.com/en/......html
http://www.rinatilakel.com/en/......html

Anyway whether or not you look good in mitpachot has nothing to do with the shape of the face. Every shape face looks good in a different style of mitpachat but all that means is that if someone looks good on your friend it might not look good on you and vice versa. Structured dresses don't look good on me but I know women who look their prettiest in structured dresses. This doesn't mean that I should write off all dresses because I don't look good in one specific style. It's the same for mitpachot.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to wear mitpachot. My only point is that if you think you don't look good in mitpachot it's because you haven't tried the right styles for your face.

Sanguine

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 6:16 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
sanguine, I do NOT wear the mitpachhot the way you are talkin gabout the mitnachalim mitpachot, very high, with a few mitpachot on your head.
Didn't even mean those. I only wear the ones that are one simple thing with a piece of elastic in back. after awhile they stretch and they don't sell that type so much anymore which is why mine all looked like shmattes. But city people don't dress in mitpachot like we do. I once went to a bat mitzva (nothing fancy) in Beit Shemesh. I was wearing my "Shabbat Mitpachat" (black with a few sequins) and I was surprised to realize that not a single other woman was wearing a mitpachat. Many wore simple berets but mitpachat at any occasion is mitnachalim style.

My wig is just a nicer head covering - not statement. I have a neighbor who started it. She also had a hand-me-down wig. To me it's just another "head covering". Till now all my head coverings were mitpachot, berets, hats, caps... I just chose to wear whatever looked best that day. There's not hashkafa or thought to it. It's just my favorite "mitpachat" these days.

As opposed to OP who wants to be liberated from grossly expensive shaitels. OP, if you want to wear wrapunzel so wear that. Wear what you're comfortable in (you don't need permission). So some people are surprised that I wear a wig. That's the difference of MO/DL people. We don't have to be liberated. I wear what I feel like (within halacha). My dress isn't a statement. I hope my actions are.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels