Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Dresses
Previous  1  2  3  Next

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 12:10 am
ElTam wrote:
Have you checked the gown gemach? I know a lot of mother's of the bride of who have gotten from there and looked great.

on my list ...

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 12:15 am
debsey wrote:
I'll give you this - it IS beige (first rule of being a mother in law - wear beige. Second rule is keep your mouth shut.)

beige is colourless & I would think too light considering the kallah should be wearing ivory/white ...

why must a mil keep their mouth shut especially considering I'll be a mother too ?

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 12:44 am
Butterfly wrote:
Greenie, This dress is very pretty and real classy. Not at all glittery, nor too matronly!!

It's so perfect for you IMO!

I'm surprised how reasonably it is priced. It looks much more expensive IMO.

I love the look on most of the dresses that Peppermintvibe has posted, although as far as I know you Greenie, you don't go for the typical macheteneste look...
I also like the dress you posted a link from; The one from London. That is so gorgeous!!

have you ever seen me out of denim Wink Wink

the colour might not have showed up - it's like a periwinkle rather than the grey they show ... surely a good backup rather than going naked

Butterfly

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 1:54 am
greenfire wrote:
have you ever seen me out of denim Wink Wink

the colour might not have showed up - it's like a periwinkle rather than the grey they show ... surely a good backup rather than going naked

I had to google the word 'periwinkle' (which I've never heard of before) to see what color would show up.
Well the colors that showed up were rather brighter shades of blue and purple. Nothing like the color that showed up on my computer. On my computer the color of the dress appeared to be mauve.
BTW, colors on computer screens can be very decieving in general, so good luck with that too.

Hope you are also taking into consideration that most bought dresses require some alterations like hemming and other adjustments needed here and there. If done by a proffesional seamstress it usually take longer than expected. (per my experiences...)

Hope you find the perfect dress very soon bezr'H.

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 2:47 am
I have no idea what your tastes are, but of all the dresses posted, I like the ones Barbara (I didn't think it was boob-grabby) and peppermintvibe posted. As for the sleeveless suggestions: Personally, I don't think a sleeveless with shell underneath look is so great, esp for the mother of a bride.

Butterfly

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 2:59 am
DrMom wrote:
I have no idea what your tastes are, but of all the dresses posted, I like the ones Barbara (I didn't think it was boob-grabby) and peppermintvibe posted. As for the sleeveless suggestions: Personally, I don't think a sleeveless with shell underneath look is so great, esp for the mother of a bride.

I agree!!

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 7:02 am
I really like the first one! And, I think it would look good on any body type.

peppermintvibe wrote:
Do you like any of these selections?

http://www1.macys.com/shop/pro.....other of the Bride%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D73%26ruleId%3D%26slotId%3D37

http://www1.macys.com/shop/pro.....other of the Bride;;Formal%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D73%26ruleId%3D%26slotId%3D40

http://www.amazon.com/Mother-B.....r=1-4

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/j-.....1_8_B

http://www.thegreenguide.com/w......html

http://www.dillards.com/produc.....p=735

http://www.dillards.com/produc.....p=839

http://www.dillards.com/produc.....=2848

cbg

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 8:20 am
I don't know how much time you have, but the department stores will have massive sales on all holiday gowns after December. If you have the time, I would wait unless I saw something I absolutely fell in love with.

Try the Gemachs, or better yet borrow. I'd lend you my dress, but I don't live close, and I don't know if we are the same size.

Tadoshi Shoji makes beautiful gowns for plus size, that look great even if you are short and fat like me. They are expensive, so I suggest you look at their website and then Google search the dress for a better price.
I got my dress at Bloomingdales for 1/4 of the price than the price on the Tadashi Shoji website. This brand is also sold on eBay (NWT) for a lot less.

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 8:50 am
there is no time for orders or sales after december the wedding is in one week

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 9:12 am
You haven't tried the gemach yet? I don't know what yours is like but we have a pretty decent one (iffy once you get to the bigger sizes).

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 9:17 am
greenfire wrote:

Sales are taking place NOW. I went to the Macy's site to look at one of the dresses that someone posted. Everything was on sale. Maybe you need to just grit your teeth and decide, "Okay, I WILL find SOMETHING today!"

Alternatively, the beige-stone-colored dress you posted (the one you thought was a bit old) can be made more "your style" with nice jewelry or a funky bag? Can you get it in another color more to your taste?

Barbara

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 9:33 am
greenfire wrote:

Okay. Tough love time. Does DD have a dress? If not, wake her. Now. Be first in line when David's opens. Tell the consultant that she needs the dress for next week. They won't be happy, but there is nowhere else she can walk out with a dress today. And it has to be today, because if it needs alterations, you're already way late.

Then tell them you need a dress. I take it all back. It doesn't matter what it looks like. If it fits, you're wearing it. David's sells shrugs, at least online if you need to tzinuit it up.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 10:25 am
I've had mazel at Dillard's and actually at Nordstrom too (not everything they sell is a fortune, I got a marked down gown there for cheaper than at Dillard's).

amother

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 10:33 am
Oh dear L-rd, I just read that it's a week till the wedding! I'm getting palpitations! Girl, get the dress you posted in any color but the hideous beige (the electric blue sounds pretty)!!! I think you will look beautiful!!!! It's a dress that could look matronly if worn by someone blah, but when worn by someone with spunk personality and gorgeous long curls it will look fabulous!! Get the dress!!! Now!!!

Iymnok

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 10:45 am
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/j-.....esses

I love the color of this one

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 11:43 am
Butterfly wrote:
I had to google the word 'periwinkle' (which I've never heard of before) to see what color would show up.
Well the colors that showed up were rather brighter shades of blue and purple. Nothing like the color that showed up on my computer. On my computer the color of the dress appeared to be mauve.
BTW, colors on computer screens can be very decieving in general, so good luck with that too.

Hope you are also taking into consideration that most bought dresses require some alterations like hemming and other adjustments needed here and there. If done by a proffesional seamstress it usually take longer than expected. (per my experiences...)

Hope you find the perfect dress very soon bezr'H.

I actually tried on the dress - it's a lavender/blue/ like the sky as it gets dark ... they call it 'heaven' in this set - only I can't seem to get it up on-line

it fits fairly nice - I worry about the square neck being too low even with the over jacket - there are silvery glitter on the top part that I don't like yet the bottom is quite nice on me - simple but flowy till tomorrow I can get it 1/2 off on-line

still a thought - I'll be running amok to the regular nordstrom vs nordsgtrom rack ... will check the gemach & worse comes to worse will settle for this [even though I don't love it - I don't hate it]

Iymnok

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 12:26 pm
Pull up the shoulders to see if it can be taken up and still look normal.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 2:22 pm
That color sounds beautiful and you will be too! Mazel tov!

amother

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 2:27 pm
Could you wear a silver or blueish shell and then wear a big necklace so the shell is barely seen?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 2:33 pm
Quote:
tomorrow I can get it 1/2 off on-line

You can get it half off NOW, just click on the red thing that says holiday headstart, and it will subtract 50% once you start the checkout process. I would do it NOW because they may sell out of certain sizes (I tested a couple and found one was sold out already).
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics