Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
UPSHERIN..any ideas?
1  2  Next

S.Shcwartz

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 1:09 pm
I'm making upsherin for my oldest son in four weeks IYH. Any ideas for party, program etc etc? thank you.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 1:53 pm
What's your budget/crowd?

S.Shcwartz

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 12:01 pm
more to the cheap side and big family...

I'd like to also know how do pple. push everything into one day, meaning the snipping/barber/cheder/party?

rainbow baby

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 12:20 pm
With all three boys I have done a buffet. Basically loads of platters, fruit, veg, dips, cakes, nuts, sweets, etc.... With the last one before Pesach we did it at around 5pm after school untill 7ish. I had a waitress that my in laws paid for. I have invested in one of those clippers, it works out so much cheaper when you have 4 heads of hair to cut 4 or 5 times a year.

Also with my first son we did the Chadar bit the day after it was such a flop. My son did not go to sleep untill really late he had also been sick. Anyway the next day he was shattered and hated every minute of it. So with my second son we did not do his Aleph Bais party untill a few months later, and he really enjoyed it. We have not done my third sons Aleph Bais party yet either. Maybe we will do it next week. Anyway apparently you have up to the child is 5 years old to do it.

A friend phoned me up panicky about the Aleph Bais party and trying to get it ready plus Shavuos and I told her not to worry that she does not have to do it he next day, she was releived. So maybe you can speak you rov and ask if you do need to do it that day or the day after or if you can leave it for a bit.

S.Shcwartz

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 12:35 pm
so in other words you did the birthday party, snipping and barber in one day and no cheder/aleph beis the same day?

rainbow baby

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 12:37 pm
Yeap that's right.

S.Shcwartz

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 1:05 pm
I like the idea. wonder what dh would say to it.

Raisin

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 1:49 pm
I would think it makes more sense to do the cheder party when the kid is a bit older and more aware of what is going on. I thought the idea is to do it when he starts cheder.

I just did an upsherin, this is whart we made. We did it in the shul, they did not charge us since dh is Rabbi. I also hired a waitress.

Quiche
sesame noodles
lettuce, mango, avocado, mandarin orange salad
leek and cherry tomato salad (with mayo dressing)
mini pizzas (very popular, this and quiche was only hot food. but you could have cold quiche)
whole sides of salmon baked
bridge rolls (very small rolls) with tuna, smoked salmon, egg
cheese cake
danishes (bakery)
alef beis shaped cookies with colored icing
cream cakes (bakery)
birthday cake

You can leave the barber till next day. I couldn't because it was sefira, so we had a guest (retired hairdresser) do it.

All the guests cut off a bit of hair.

S.Shcwartz

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 2:23 pm
did you make all that yourself? wow.

Quote:
You can leave the barber till next day. I couldn't because it was sefira, so we had a guest (retired hairdresser) do it.

You mean have him look like an unfinished cake?! LOL

rainbow baby

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 5:38 pm
So what did you decide in the end?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 8:46 pm
yes, have you figured out your details?
My son's 3rd b-day is during the "3 weeks" so we're probably going to cut his hair earlier -- pretty soon!
I hope to take him for cheder/alef-beis next week, maybe we'll even snip his hair that day beforehand (though he's already had trims...)
And for a birhtday party, I'm making it small - maybe like an ice cream party with different toppings.

enjoy and mazel tov!

S.Shcwartz

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 9:58 pm
yup! all figured out. The truth is that it's on rosh chodesh, this sunday, so yes cutting no cutting, we decided we will cut on sunday. So the day will start with cheder, then family comes to snip, then party, and later in afternoon, barber! serving:
tzitzis bday cake
cupcakes
tuna salad
egg salad
bought spreads
bagels
blintzes
cheese cake
fruit drink
lemonade
iced coffee

el2cg

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 10:24 pm
I only found this thread now, but this is what I did this winter.

(on a friday)

it was called for 8:30 in the morning. we first did snipping and then everyone sat down to eat. I had a few salads, and rugelach, cinnamon buns, cheese cakes. and hot coffee and cold coffee. we the ran to chedder at 10:00 (when were standing at a traffic light our car stalled. we sat in the car waiting for help, when someone came over to us that our front light was burning. I jumped out so fast with the kids. it was raing at that time...it was lots of fun..) chedder worked out well, he said the aleph -bais.... we only got to fix his haircut after shabbos.

el2cg

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 10:26 pm
one thing I served taht I forgot to mention was "wraps" I made a few different types, and cut them up...it was a hit

S.Shcwartz

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 10:03 am
I like the 'wraps' idea. please explain in detail!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 9:57 pm
the tzitzis cake sounds cute - how are you doing it??
I spoke with the principal of the yeshiva and it sounded like he wanted to hair cut before coming in on Monday. I didn't know they preferred the haircut beforehand.... so I guess I'll ahve to make sure to do it.
(my son's b-day is during the 3 weeks plus the school year will be over, so I decided to do everything before).

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 10:03 pm
My son's upsherin is in a couple of weeks IY"H. We decided to do it very simple this time - called for the afternoon with just cake and snacks. He is very excited about getting his hair cut and to "be a yeshiva bochur" LOL that I don't think it will matter to him how elaborate the party is. Plus I'm in my 9th month B"H and the thought of a lot of food and preparation... ugh.

S.Shcwartz

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 12:52 pm
The tzitzis cake is simple. I made a regular rectangle cake. filled it inside with some cream. cut a 'v' on top. Spread white cream (or topping) on top. and decorate the black lines with chocolate chips. oh and his name of course!

el2cg

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 1:04 pm
my sis in law made it for me. She did two different wraps (one regular and one that was orange in color- not sure what it is!) she then filled the with different spreads. tuna, egg, olive spread, ovocado....some had some vegis in it. she then rolled it up and cut it about 1 and 1/2 inches wide. we then placed it on trays.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 9:38 pm
can you post a pic of the tzitzis cake? I didn't "chop"
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics