Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Super Attached Child: To Send Or Not To Send To Playgroup?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 4:20 pm
My 26 month old is extremely attached and I'm debating whether or not to send him to playgroup. He's the youngest of 5 and definitely the most attached. We tried in September but he scrame for 2 whole days till I couldn't handle it and I pulled him out (B"H the teacher had another parent begging for the spot so it wasn't a problem) He was traumatized for at least 3 weeks after and was even more attached, cranky, etc. Fast forward 3 months and I'm debating attempting to try again. He seems to be very bored and not interested in doing errands with me. He's also a little frustrated because he hardly talks (he gets speech 2x week, OT and DT 1x/week) Technically I could just keep him home till September and find things to do, but it's just a little frustrating not being able to accomplish at home and always trying to entertain him... Last week I took him to a playgroup and tried integrating him, I sat with him 30 minutes Wed, Thurs, Fri. He really enjoyed it but kept coming to me, not going to the Morahs at all, and cried when I told him it was time to go. I was going to do the same on Monday, then leave him Tuesday for an hour by himself (unless the Morah tells me he's ok)and gradually increase the time. The more I think about it the more nervous I am that he'll cry the whole time and we'll have a whole trauma period to deal with after... I'm so confused! Can someone tell me what to do? Anyone have experience with this???
Anon cuz I discussed this with everyone I know and still don't know what to do!!!

amother

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 4:23 pm
Keep him home.
You can't do better for your child.
The best playgroups in town still hasa bunch of kids crammed into one room.
The smell, the germs, dirt, never mind the attention he'll be missing out there.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 4:27 pm
No I would definitely not. The only gain seems to be on your end, and it doesn't seem to be significant. He, on the other hand, appears to have a lot to lose.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 4:31 pm
Keep him home for now.

You will wonder when he will call soon enough. Enjoy these years.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 4:42 pm
Thank you, ladies! 3 answers is my chazakah:) I'm gonna keep him home. Wish me luck!

amother

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 5:30 pm
DD is over 30 now. I can still remember the poor little girl in her playgroup who was dragged out of the car kicking and screaming every day.

When they were older I saw this girl was not fitting in very well to her community. I hope she has found her place by now.

I can't say there's a correlation, though I did wonder if the mother had difficulty hearing what here daughter was saying.

Just adding my vote.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics