Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
The listening program

momesq

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 10:00 pm
Has anyone used this program and for what and did it help?

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 12:28 am
Yes, but I would prefer to discuss privately. You can PM me.
It is advertised as being helpful for a lot of things but I think the area where it really shines is in sensory and emotional regulation.

chani8

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 1:37 am
It worked for stress reduction for me. I didn't see any improvement in the children, who btw, didn't want to do it after the first time or two.

ETA - we were not dealing with autism, though. We were using it for ADHD.

momesq

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 8:16 am
It was recommended for my child with sensory issues but I thought it could possibly help my child with reading issues and another child with sleep issues and another child with mood dis regulation. No autism or ADHD b'h. Then again the I thought maybe it could help me stay calm. Could 1 program really fix everything? And from what I understand it's not something that can be shared since it's customized to each person.

chani8

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 9:14 am
momesq wrote:
It was recommended for my child with sensory issues but I thought it could possibly help my child with reading issues and another child with sleep issues and another child with mood dis regulation. No autism or ADHD b'h. Then again the I thought maybe it could help me stay calm. Could 1 program really fix everything? And from what I understand it's not something that can be shared since it's customized to each person.

The customized thing is overrated, you can use the same program for everyone. There is no proof that any of it works. It's tedious and time consuming and sometimes downright annoying to do. It does not help my dyslexic child with reading at all.

Maybe it will help with sleep issues and for calming. I doubt it will help with mood regulation.

It's not a miracle in any way. It doesn't come close to biofeedback, where you learn to regulate your self.

My friend got the program for her child with anxiety, and thought it helped a little, but wasn't sure. She let me borrow it. Like I said, it was pretty much a waste for us. I'm glad we hadn't wasted our money on it.

Sorry to disappoint you. Maybe you'd be better off buying a swing or hammock or jump rope.

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 9:32 am
One program of any sort is never going to "fix everything." What I have found with The Listening Program (among other listening therapies) is that it often enables success in other areas. For example, I had a person who had little success with sensory therapy/diet, and then after they started doing sound therapy the sensory therapy finally started to work. Similar stories with emotional issues (nothing psychiatric, more mild-moderate) I don't know about ADHD firsthand simply because I haven't had anyone diagnosed with ADHD on it, but because kids with ADHD often have similar issues to the ones I've seen it stands to reason that they may benefit in similar ways, though again it is more of a help than a cure.

Regarding the individualized program: TLP recently (well, relatively) switched to a web-based format in which each user requires a separate account. It is somewhat individualized; not that each individual gets unique music/sounds, but that there are different tracks it would put you on, and it tracks your progress so that it moves you forward or backward in the series depending how many sessions you did or missed. The upside is that this is a relatively inexpensive option, around $25 a month and down (if you sign up more than one person together, or for 6 or 12 month package)

However they also do still sell iPods preloaded with the soundtracks. These can be shared and/or reused among multiple users. However, you need to be on top of knowing which track to play each time, and would benefit from someone to help guide you through it. Also, I am pretty sure you can only buy one type of program per iPod (e.g. the sensory one) For someone looking to use it for a whole family and potentially long term, particularly if you don't have internet access to do the online program, this could be a good option. It has some resale value too, but you'll be paying quite a lot out of pocket. Something around $900 IIRC (which I might not because it has been ages since anyone's asked about this)

There is also an in-between cost option using CDs but I don't recommend it. It's higher maintenance, only one of the programs is available on CD, and there's a much greater risk of equipment damage which could derail your whole program. CDs are on the decline generally.

Momesq, I'm curious who recommended this to you. I'm not familiar with many who do it and would love to connect. I took their certification course because I wanted to understand the program better before trying it for my family (I know, I'm geeky like that) and would be happy to help anyone who wants to try it out.

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 4:36 pm
Note if anyone was interested in doing the iPod version of the program, they're giving a nice discount until December 23rd. This doesn't happen so often.

granolamom

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 7:30 pm
we tried it years ago. not only did it not help with any of the issues we were dealing with, but my child had a very strange negative reaction to it.

momesq

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 10:42 pm
Seeker, thanks for your detailed info. I'll see if the program helps the child with the sensory issues ( as per the recommendation if the OT) and go from there.

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 10:51 pm
Good luck!

Granolamom, I'm curious what kind of strange reaction your child had. If you're not comfortable posting, can you PM me?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 4:57 pm
seeker, can you give us a link to the web-based program? I don't see it on their website. I'll google around a bit, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 6:06 pm
http://tlp.advancedbrain.com/tlp/#ways

Here it is. If you do sign up even for a free trial, I would appreciate if you use my link. It costs the same to the user in any case and you have access to all the same promotions, but I get a small commission if people use my link. And then I am also available to help you with any issues or questions that come up.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 7:09 pm
seeker wrote:
http://tlp.advancedbrain.com/tlp/#ways

Here it is. If you do sign up even for a free trial, I would appreciate if you use my link. It costs the same to the user in any case and you have access to all the same promotions, but I get a small commission if people use my link. And then I am also available to help you with any issues or questions that come up.

I have no problem doing that. someone recommended I look into this, and if it's about $25 a month, it's reasonable. I'll check out the link, thanks.

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 9:33 pm
Thanks. I give out a lot of free advice/reviews and never try to "sell" anything unless there's good reason to, so it's nice to get a little payback once in a while even if it's small.

Note that you would also need to purchase special headphones - still not exorbitant, especially relative to other therapies, but bear in mind when considering the cost.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics