Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Can Chasidishe women drive in Lakewood?
1  2  Next

swmm246

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 12:56 am
Being a chasidishe veibel from Brooklyn that is planning to maybe move to lakewood, I would like to ask a very important question that can actually be the decision-maker whether or not I should do the move: is it %100 accepted that chasidishe women drive in lakewood, do the mosdos make problems accepting children whom's mothers drive, or is it a normal thing there?
In Monsey, today's days, women driving in the chasidishe circles, is a NO NO situation. I heard in Lakewood the case is different. Is it true?

I would appreciate some answers.

mommy#1

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 8:19 pm
I know many chassidish women who drive in lakewood. their kids are in the regular chassidish yeshivos

debsey

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 8:27 pm
My friends who send to Bais Rochel, Bais Leah, Satmar Cheder, Talmud Torah Bais Avrohom etc. all drive. DK about the Toras Imecha or Belz crowd.......

cookiejar

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 9:46 pm
debsey wrote:
My friends who send to Bais Rochel, Bais Leah, Satmar Cheder, Talmud Torah Bais Avrohom etc. all drive. DK about the Toras Imecha or Belz crowd.......

I know Toras Imecha and Belz ppl who drive

swmm246

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 11:17 pm
Thanks for the answers. my question is if its accepted for young chasidishe veiblech to drive as well or only for the seniors. if I'm not mistaking, the older women in monsey have no problem driving, its only the younger generation that can not get their kids into the mosdos if the wife dare drives. is lakewood different?

Another question, do the chasidishe veiblech that come from brooklyn, like the belzer women, also drive?

groisamomma

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 12:25 am
The term chassidish veiblich sounds masculine but whatever.

Yes, almost all of the mothers in DS's chassidish cheder and practically every mother in DD's chassidish school drives.

busymom

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 12:42 am
groisamomma wrote:
The term chassidish veiblich sounds masculine but whatever.

Yes, almost all of the mothers in DS's chassidish cheder and practically every mother in DD's chassidish school drives.

I thought the same when I read it. Smile

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 2:39 am
OP even if driving is currently accepted, understand that that may or may not be the case in 10 or 20 years from now. Anyways, good luck with your move. Whatever decision you make, may it be the right one!

Iymnok

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 4:38 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
OP even if driving is currently accepted, understand that that may or may not be the case in 10 or 20 years from now. Anyways, good luck with your move. Whatever decision you make, may it be the right one!

That's okay because then she will be "old".

swmm246

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 8:39 am
I appreciate the responses. About the term "veiblech" I used, the reason to it is because I wanted to make clear that I'm talking about typical chasidishe women, such who graduated Satmer, Belz etc. in Brooklyn. This forum isn't a strictly chasidishe site (or so I assume) and I therefore wrote my post in a way that would be very clear what I mean).

Anyway, its interesting to hear that women driving in lakewood is a no-problem issue. This is a real push for me to do the move. I don't know why I always thought no one drives.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 9:58 am
Iymnok wrote:
That's okay because then she will be "old".

She may be old,but her children will not be. They will have to make decisions about which school to send OPs grandchildren to. I'm not saying that that isn't a reason to go, but she has to consider it.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 10:01 am
swmm246 wrote:
I appreciate the responses. About the term "veiblech" I used, the reason to it is because I wanted to make clear that I'm talking about typical chasidishe women, such who graduated Satmer, Belz etc. in Brooklyn. This forum isn't a strictly chasidishe site (or so I assume) and I therefore wrote my post in a way that would be very clear what I mean).

Anyway, its interesting to hear that women driving in lakewood is a no-problem issue. This is a real push for me to do the move. I don't know why I always thought no one drives.

Two neighbors who send to Bnos Bina/Masores Avos do not drive. (I don't know anyone else there so don't know if other parents in those schools drive).

My friends who send to Bais Rochel/Bais Leah most certainly do drive, and I can't imagine that their children wouldn't.

rosenbal

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 10:07 am
From this forum it sounds that if I was chassidush, I'd be moving to Lakewood! I'm very attached to my car and can't imagine not having that freedom of movement. Lakewood may be restrictive for yeshivish but apparently a breath of fresh air for chassidish!

swmm246

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 10:16 am
Quote:
Lakewood may be restrictive for yeshivish but apparently a breath of fresh air for chassidish!

Lakewood is restrictive to litvish! Never knew that. Can you elaborate?

rosenbal

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 10:23 am
swmm246 wrote:
Quote:
Lakewood may be restrictive for yeshivish but apparently a breath of fresh air for chassidish!

I just meant that so many people feel like they can't be themselves or they can't get their kids into schools. Their shaitel has to be a certain length, if they wear nail polish forget it. Etc. I'm sure the Lakewood ladies have many more examples and not just of such trivial matters. I'm not saying it's all bad, but obviously it's more restrictive than in OOT communities or even in Brooklyn.

Chassidish can't drive in Brooklyn or Monsey but many apparently do in Lakewood. It seems more open minded for them. Probably because Lakewood is so suburban...what can they do? It's harder to rely on public transportation or ride services.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 10:24 am
swmm246 wrote:
Quote:

I'm just wondering, you don't seem to know much about Lakewood, and I'm assuming you don't have many friends or family here or else you would ask them these questions, so what is the attraction for you? It's just that in the past few weeks I've seen a few threads from Chassidish women asking very basic questions about Lakewood, I'm just wondering what would make someone move to a different city, not knowing much about it, or really knowing other people there.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 10:28 am
glutenless wrote:
It's just that in the past few weeks I've seen a few threads from Chassidish women asking very basic questions about Lakewood, I'm just wondering what would make someone move to a different city, not knowing much about it, or really knowing other people there.

The biggest reason I've been hearing is the affordability of housing here - both buying and renting. You get a much bigger house/apt in Lakewood, for price you pay in Brooklyn.

swmm246

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 10:49 am
Exactly. I, and most, or almost all, chasidishe women that think of coming to lakewood, have literally ZERO family and friends there. Its because of the crazy housing crises in Bklyn that we are forced to move there.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 11:10 am
Wow. That seems so sad to me. Maybe it's just my personality, I don't do well with new situations, so I can't imagine moving somewhere that is so totally strange to me. When I moved to Lakewood I had siblings and friends living here, which made it much easier for me. I know people move to places without friends or family, but there's usually a compelling reason, I didn't realize that the reason here was the cheap housing.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 11:14 am
swmm246 wrote:
we are forced to move there.

Forced? Or compelled? I believe that an ever bigger reason why you feel "forced" is because your options are so limited since you want a place with mosdos, community, shuls, etc..... There is nothing wrong with moving OOT, but most Chassidishe people would not pick themselves up and move to Pittsburgh, Cleveland or the like. I know some that have, and they are often incomparable ehrlich and special. There are many more factors besides for "cheap housing" that are "forcing" you into Lakewood.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating