Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What's wrong with pj's all the time?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 8:14 pm
I have a 15 month old who basically lives in pj's. He is VERY active, more so than his older siblings have ever been, and it is so ridiculously hard to get him dressed. It's winter anyway, so I need to dress him warmly, and what's better for that than fleece footsie pajamas? I am mostly home with him, we aren't really going anywhere other than the supermarket or school drop-off/pick-up (in which case he's in the car the whole time and no one sees him). The problem is, everyone who has noticed feels the need to comment. My mother in particular is very upset that he only ever wears pj's the last few months, you'd think I was driving him around without a car seat the way she goes on! But even other people, I get "do you EVER dress him in real clothes?" and such. Is it really so bad? I don't see him hindered in any way, and I don't see why he needs to look like a Gap ad at this age. The pj thing works really well for now, and I would like to continue it through the winter.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 8:17 pm
I dont think its that bad (although I probably wouldnt do it) the problem is it just makes YOU look bad.
It makes you look like you cant manage to get him dressed or like you are depressed and dont care.
Its sad how we need to do things just so others shouldnt talk.

kb

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 8:27 pm
I agree... it gives the impression that you don't bother taking care of him (though I definitely understand you!) How about look for some non footed pjs that look more like clothing? Or even have him sleep in sweat pants so he'll be look somewhat dressed?

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 8:31 pm
I don't think it's a big deal at all. And I am very into clothing. He's a baby. Babies look fine in footies. As long as the pjs are clean and the coat is clean and the baby is clean, I can't imagine why anyone is even giving a second glance. And I'll repeat, I am very into clothing and spent over $100 an outfit on my kids at that age sometimes.

kb

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 8:34 pm
I'm not that into clothing. And definitely wouldn't spend that sort of money on an outfit. But imo, a toddler is not a baby. I wouldn't take out a kid that age in pjs unless he was really sick.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 8:36 pm
kb wrote:
I'm not that into clothing. And definitely wouldn't spend that sort of money on an outfit. But imo, a toddler is not a baby. I wouldn't take out a kid that age in pjs unless he was really sick.

15 months old? Still a baby. Lots of kids don't even walk yet at that age.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 8:39 pm
There are hooded fleece or velour footless one piece jumpsuits everywhere. Carters, old navy, even gap lol. The socks make them look less pj-ish.
15 month old is not a baby in a stretchie, it's time to cruise and walk around. There are soft grip slippers you can get to keep his toes warm.

There's nothing wrong with pjs in terms of the kids development, but isn't clothing all about appearance? If people tell you he looks neglected, then that's how it appears to them. If you don't care, good for you. But if you do then I hope the above helps.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 8:41 pm
I totally hear you, and it's fine. But just know that most people end up dressing their kids (just because that's the norm) so they're gonna find it a little strange that you don't. But do what works for you and for him! You don't have to explain yourself to anyone.

lk1234

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 8:50 pm
Do not feel bad at all. A 15 month old is a BABY. and at that age I find that it is extremely difficult to change them and get them in and out of clothing. Why make extra work for yourself when you don't need to. There is nothing wrong with keeping him in cozy pajamas. It's fine.

Bruria

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 8:53 pm
Nothing is wrong, people are wrong. Seriously, what really makes a pj different from clothes? I think pj's are better even, more comfortable, warmer! Who doesn't like staying in pj's? crazy people Very Happy

amother

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 8:54 pm
I work from home, and I spend my days (and nights) in PJ pants and a t-shirt/sweatshirt. I don't leave the house this way, but do run down to get the mail. the pizza guy sees me this way. I bathe daily.

I do not care what anyone says, which is what you should be feeling, op. your baby is clean and happy, who cares if he's wearing footed pjs?

dooby

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 9:19 pm
I have a very challenging 2yr old, who wont let me dress her! so I bought a bunch or target tees and sweatpants.....its cozy, looks half decent, and one less fight in the morning!

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 11:12 pm
Ha! I left my 16 month old with his pajama top on today bc he puts up such a fight to get dressed.I did put on some regular leggings instead of his footie pajamas. By the time my husband came home he wasnt wearing them anymnore, and he was all like - what? he wore pj's all day? Then I open this thread. I'm chortling.

Simple1

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 11:16 pm
I also have a 2 yo who puts up a huge fight to get dressed, so I don't always bother.

15 months is still a baby and unless you're taking her somewhere formal, I think it's OK. I also agree with the advice to get comfortable tops and leggings that can double as pajamas.

The Happy Wife

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 11:20 pm
I think it's fine. I have even sent my toddler to playgroup in those footie pajamas.

dee's mommy

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 11:21 pm
I don't think that's a problem. I often kept my daughter in sleepers (I think you call them stretchies) much of the time. As long as they were clean, I just kept her in them a lot of the time. There were times when I did dress her up, but that was not my priority on a day to day basis.

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 11:25 pm
kb wrote:
I agree... it gives the impression that you don't bother taking care of him

There we go again, worshipping at the altar of the Holy Impression. You would think that we would have gotten away from idolatry after all these millennia.

OP, why should you care what other people think? When they start cleaning your house, doing your laundry and cooking your meals, then you might want to think about doing things to their liking. Until then,do what works for you, so long as your child is safe, healthy and happy.

The only thing I would do differently is cut the plastic feet off the pj's. I found them to be slippery, and they made my kids' feet reek.

Reesa

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 11:35 pm
Can you dress your baby in velour stretchies? They are great for sleeping and look good during the day as well. In the winter you can totally get away with it. You may spend a little more to get ones that look nice but that's the whole wardrobe.
The other option is putting the baby to sleep in acceptable day clothes that are comfortable.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 12:31 am
15 month is a baby still.
Footies are fine as long as they are clean.
I wouldn't worry about it til they're around 2
At 2 you want to start teaching them routines.
We get up in the morning, wash up, brush teeth, get dressed
Make bed, eat breakfast, go to school.
If they were going to a babysitter that's a different story, but to be home all day why not.
I wear a robe and a snood when Im home all day cleaning and cooking.

cbg

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 12:33 am
Is this going to be one ofthe new shidduchim questions.
When you were a baby, did your mother dress you everyday, or did she let you stay in pjs.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics