Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Knafayim of lechamin- chicken wings for cholent

amother

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 12:43 am
so the story is that we haven't had chicken in ages. to expensive Sad
yesterday I walked into the butcher and saw the chicken wings for cholent on sale for 6.90 nis a kilo.
[crazy].
I looked once, looked twice, but could not figure out what the catch was.
so I bought four..
only after did I hear that people have bought this before and the chicken is like rubber.
Is there any way to cook it, fry it, broil it, grill it, so that it will taste good.
I was so excited that we would finally have fleishigs without serving guilt as the side dish.

mo5

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 12:53 am
I know nothing about this product specifically- but maybe marinate for awhile before cooking to tenderize the meat (use something alcoholic in the marinade)

ray family

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 12:55 am
I've never heard of chicken wings specifically for chullent. I would do what normally works to soften meat- marinate it and/or cook it in a sauce so it can soften while cooking for a long time.
enjoy it- w/o the guilt.
I also use chicken wings in my soup- gives tons of flavor. you can then use the chicken in another dish- mash it up w/ some onion and even some shredded veg and make patties, or throw it into a salad, make a pot pie of sorts. I've done this lots of times when money was tight.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 1:07 am
I usually use them in soup. Though we sometimes have them broiled ore grilled. I don't have an issue worth it. It could be that there is just less meat on each piece.
Cook a package in the way you were planning and decide for yourself.

chani8

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 5:03 am
If they are the ones for cholent, they need to be boiled. I put them on in the morning and by dinner, we have chicken soup.

mandksima

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 1:08 pm
What does that mean specifically for cholent? How are they different? Are they frozen or fresh?

I buy wings a lot because they are cheaper and we all like them and are satisfied with them. I never put them in soup - I buy cheaper bones/chicken backs for 5 shekels a kilo or less. Can you try baking them on high for 20 minutes and then adding a sauce on top and broil till nicely crisped? How bad can they be? If you haven't eaten chicken in a long time anyway, they will probably taste great!

shabri

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 11:18 pm
I once bought these by accident. You literally couldn't eat them when cooked regularly.

But delicious in the cholent (or any really long cooking time)

mandksima

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 2:03 am
I am afraid what to ask is done to them to make them inedible when cooked regularly!

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 7:19 pm
I'm not familiar with specific brands or shops, but by the OP's friend's description
that it can be rubbery, I suspect the wings may come from older hens (jokingly called
menopause chicken). These are called boiling fowl here, as opposed to usual broilers.
I actually like tougher boiling chicken--they make better stocks, and are good for
stewed chicken.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:15 am
op here-
just for the future record.
seems like this is mature chicken wings. they are very hard if cooked normally. but if boiled for a long time they are great. and even taste richer than regular chicken becuase they are older. (regular chicken is about 6 months old while these are hens that can be 2+ years)
I boiled them for about 4 hours in water, some spices and some onion and the results were fantastic!

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 9:13 am
OP, my grandfather was a butcher and supplied us with meat. We ate steak and very occasionally lamb chops. But our cholents were potatoes, beans, necks, wings and pupiks. I don't know why. Maybe that's what my mother grew up with. It was delicious!

2gether

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 9:19 am
amother wrote:
so the story is that we haven't had chicken in ages. to expensive Sad

I was so excited that we would finally have fleishigs without serving guilt as the side dish.

don't take this personally, but what do use serve ?

mandksima

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 2:02 pm
OP, do you use regular hechsherim? Supersol has fresh, regular chicken wings for 6.90 this week. I bought 10 kilo to stick in my freezer as that is a good sale.

If you only use more expensive hechsherim, perhaps you could get on a kollel group list that buys in bulk for cheaper prices?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 3:57 pm
amother wrote:
op here-
just for the future record.
seems like this is mature chicken wings. they are very hard if cooked normally. but if boiled for a long time they are great. and even taste richer than regular chicken becuase they are older. (regular chicken is about 6 months old while these are hens that can be 2+ years)
I boiled them for about 4 hours in water, some spices and some onion and the results were fantastic!

Sound like they'd be great in a crockpot dish as well.
Glad you were able to enjoy them!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics