Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
7yo concentration

Roses4me

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 11:44 am
My ds teacher from maths class says he doesn't seem to always listen or want to do the work. I'm not sure why but he doesn't feel confident in that subject and sometimes says he's not good at it. He doesn't really seem to have any problem though. Understands it fine. Does his homework fine. But seems to not enjoy class. I'm starting to think he doesn't enjoy the teacher's method/class.
Should I try find ways to help his concentration? Other teachers said that sometimes it looks like he's dreaming but if they ask him a question they see he's heard everything.
I don't know how to change his attitude toward math...

Bruria

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 1:12 pm
There seems to be no issue at all with your son. He looks like he is daydreaming, but he is not. I think the teachers should let it go and instead pay attention to the kids who are not getting the material.

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 2:58 pm
What she said. What you should be doing is trying to boost ds's confidence. The fear of math is irrational in view of his satisfactory performance. Many people fear math--it's a national epidemic--and many kids feel that it's "uncool" to like it or be good at it. Your ds may have absorbed the fear or the disdain--maybe even from you! All strictly unconscious, of course, but if you give off "I can't do math" vibes, your ds will pick them up.

There are many ways to help children learn math in a fun manner. Look for them online and see if your ds will take to this sort of thing, but don't use the word "math". Call it games or puzzles or mysteries to be solved. If you are good at math yourself, and creative, invent some of your own. Or incorporate them into your routine: "Shimmy, help me out here: I need 17 cups of flour for making challah. All I have is 3 cups whole wheat and 4 cups all-purpose; how many cups of flour do I need to borrow from Grandma?" If your ds is a wiseguy like mine, he'll say "why bother? Just borrow a whole sack and then give her back a whole sack"--which may do nothing for his math skills but shows he's a practical thinker.

OTOH your ds may simply find the teacher boring. Shocking, but some teachers are real yawns. So long as your ds is doing his work there's no problem. One need not have a love affair with every teacher. However, you do have to make it clear to ds that regardless of whether or not he likes the subject, teacher or teaching style, slacking off is not acceptable. He can dislike the teacher but he still has to do the work, same as he has to eat his veggies. Hopefully next year he will have a more engaging teacher.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics