Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Dc with high functioning ASD. which cpsc preschool brooklyn
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 4:43 pm
Dc is going to age out of e.I in September. She is currently doing center and home based ABA.
My service coordinator told me to start looking into where I want to send her next year, since they fill up quick.
Dc is high functioning, the areas where she needs the most help in is social skills and auditory/visual processing. Sensory issues. Spacial issues, and receptive language.
What she does understand, she says clearly. She is hyper and a ball of energy. Weak muscle tone and clumsy/falls a lot.
Very smart. Doing well play skills wise.
So I heard of so far:
Strive rite
Otsar
Hasc
Yeled veyaldah
Machsik brocha

I am so lost what to do, how to know what will be best for her?
Please help me!
Do you know about each of these?
What do they each specialize in?
what was your experience?
Any other options?
Do they provide transportation?

Thank you! Im feeling so overwhelmed navigating the special needs system.

solo

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 4:50 pm
From ur brief description ur daughter sounds like my son. I did not feel Aba approach was right for him. I was told. program relies heavily on Aba. Itsself has a really nice program but lower functioning. I would've loved to get him into strive right but Didn't. He's in a mainstream yeshiva with a seit 10 hrs a week. And speech ot. I take him out for pt. he's doing really well. I spoke to the yeshiva so we all knew what to expect. I did speak to a basement nursery morah who was not interested.

solo

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 4:52 pm
AAaaaaah. Autocorrect. Yvy is Aba. Otsar is a great program for lower functioning kids

naomi2

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 8:49 pm
DS has PDD-NOs very high functioning and just graduated cpsc. please Pm me I have a wonderful program to discuss

amother

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 11:09 pm
solo wrote:
AAaaaaah. Autocorrect. Yvy is Aba. Otsar is a great program for lower functioning kids

Otsar is NOT just for lower functioning kids. They have classes on all dif levels from very low functioning to integrated, abd are a fantastic program. It sounds like it cud be a good fit, call them up and ask to come in to check out the program.

Machzik bracha is for children with yiddiah labels mostly.

I wud not suggest hasc, it sounds like your daughter would be too hugh functioning.

Strive rite might also be an option, has its pros and cons, not for every kind of child.

Good luck

amother

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 12:04 am
naomi2 wrote:
DS has PDD-NOs very high functioning and just graduated cpsc. please Pm me I have a wonderful program to discuss

Op here.
You rather not post publicly? Would you mind posting an email and ill email you?
Thanks.

Thank you everyone who took the time to respond.

What are the pros and cons of striverite?

I also want somewhere where they will teach yiddishe stuff too. Aleph beis, parsha etc. Which place would be good for that?

Why is otsar so good?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 12:21 am
amother wrote:
Op here.
You rather not post publicly? Would you mind posting an email and ill email you?
Thanks.

Thank you everyone who took the time to respond.

What are the pros and cons of striverite?

I also want somewhere where they will teach yiddishe stuff too. Aleph beis, parsha etc. Which place would be good for that?

Why is otsar so good?

None of these places can legally teach Jewish things. Its possible machzik bracha does anyways, and maybe hasc. Donrlt think otsar or strive rite does, but not positive..

Stribe rite as I said is a good program for the right child. I think they focus a lot on auditory and language (they started as a school for hearing impaired) Go look at it and see if u like what u see and if u think ur child will fit in. Otsar is a great program that has been around for a long time, and has tons of experience with a wide variety of issues. It has a great name and always has waiting lists. Again I really recommend goung down to the schools to see them in action.

bnm

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 1:39 am
Striverite won't take you unless the kid is deaf/hard of hearing and they prefer not to deal with cognitive dissabilites.

Are you looking for yiddish speaking?

Machzik Brocha takes all types of dissabillites, they have a few classrooms with different functioning levels, some classrooms are bilingual
AIs Lassos in Williamsburg is yiddish speaking
I never reached anyone in Hasc but their preschool is supposed to be good, don't know if they do ABA or not
Otzar might be your best option but they fill up quickly so first apply, you can always decided not to send there. They have multiple classes geared to multiple abilities/levels.
My kid's therapist kept telling me about William O'Conner and their page said they deal with various things including autism but they are not jewish. they do have some jewish kids/staff.

did you do your cpse eval yet? do you know what class size is recommended for your kid?

bnm

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 1:42 am
if you davka want yiddish stuff AIs Lassos has a melamed that goes to each classroom for a few minutes every day/wek (not sure) and he teaches them the yiddish stuff. Machzik Brocha won't even call it a mitzva note. They don't mention ANYTHING about yomim tovim. My friend has a kid in BiYI and her kid has shabbos parties, gets dressed up as shabbos mommy/totty and gets preprinted papers that say 'mitzva note' on it.

bnm

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 1:45 am
YVY is ABA. They won't even look at other kids. I applied for their regular headstart class and they didn't want to take my kid saying he isn't high functioning enough at that point.... a month or 2 later we started discussing mainstreaming.

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 9:00 am
YVY is run by the aba method. I have put 2 high functioning asd kids through their boro park program. they do have a mainstream headstart in which they will enroll your kid if he is accepted to the aba program. if you have specific questions about the YVY ABA program in boro park, feel free to pm me.
FYI yvy has different locations and their program is run differently in each one, so it matters which location you are considering.

at the time that I needed, otsar did not have a high functioning class for my kid. it really depends on the year if they have a class or not.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 9:19 am
Twizzlers wrote:
YVY is run by the aba method. I have put 2 high functioning asd kids through their boro park program. they do have a mainstream headstart in which they will enroll your kid if he is accepted to the aba program. if you have specific questions about the YVY ABA program in boro park, feel free to pm me.
FYI yvy has different locations and their program is run differently in each one, so it matters which location you are considering.

at the time that I needed, otsar did not have a high functioning class for my kid. it really depends on the year if they have a class or not.

Otsar has the same classes every year, do u mean they didnt have room for ur child?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 9:56 am
Hi. Op here

I dont specifically need yiddish speaking, although that is a plus. Whats more important to me is that its a jewish atmosphere, like teach jewish songs instead of Old Mcdonald. .jewish books. And some jewish studies like aleph beis parsha and yomim tovim.
She is high functioning and I would want her with regular kids as much as possible, but with special ed trained teachers and therapists in the class.
I guess like, a more specific, targeted headstart class, that gears to involve kids like her.
is that what yeled is like?
Thanks for all your help so far.

What is ais laasos like?

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 10:03 am
Either Otsar if you want a preschool (not much aba) or yeled vyalda is my best recommendation bc your child can be mainstreamed in their head start program for part ofthe day and pulled out for speech and aba. apply as soon a you can!

naomi, why cant you pleae tell us about your kids' program, it's always good to know about all program available.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 12:16 pm
Op, do u specifically want an aba program for ur child? Not evwry child on the spectrum, esp a high functioning verbal one, needs aba or stricly aba. Thete are other factors like learning to socialize in a classroom environment, floor time, and developing play skills in a natraul preachool environment.
If u do want aba, and a lot of it, yvy is ur best bet. But maybe think abt the type of program she needs.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 1:21 pm
if you're yiddish speaking @ home go for Eis Lasois
speaking from experience as having worked there & had family member in their program.

bnm

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 1:45 pm
amother wrote:
Hi. Op here

I dont specifically need yiddish speaking, although that is a plus. Whats more important to me is that its a jewish atmosphere, like teach jewish songs instead of Old Mcdonald. .jewish books. And some jewish studies like aleph beis parsha and yomim tovim.
She is high functioning and I would want her with regular kids as much as possible, but with special ed trained teachers and therapists in the class.
I guess like, a more specific, targeted headstart class, that gears to involve kids like her.

What is ais laasos like?

that type of program is hard to find. Legally they can't teach too much about yiddishkeit, each place interprets the rules a bit differently.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 1:45 pm
My son's Rebbe thinks he is ASD high functioning maybe Aspergers. He is 9 and has always had issues. BOE has evaluated him during EI, CPSE, CSE and never found anything cognitive wrong with him.

Where did you go to get your diagnosis? Were you satisfied with the process? any help or advice would be appreciated. I heard about a Dr. Huberman who is a developmental/behavioral pediatrician. Anyone go to him? HELP!

amother

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 1:56 pm
amother wrote:
Hi. Op here

What is ais laasos like?

you'll get that in Eis Lassos plus alot more

amother

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 2:00 pm
amother wrote:
My son's Rebbe thinks he is ASD high functioning maybe Aspergers. He is 9 and has always had issues. BOE has evaluated him during EI, CPSE, CSE and never found anything cognitive wrong with him.

Where did you go to get your diagnosis? Were you satisfied with the process? any help or advice would be appreciated. I heard about a Dr. Huberman who is a developmental/behavioral pediatrician. Anyone go to him? HELP!

if you want a great diagnostitian go to Dr. Cargan- neurologist
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics