Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
A question for those with cleaning help
1  2  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 7:15 am
I ready somewhere else today that some people employ their cleaning people on shabbat and chagim.
do you do that? I had never heard of that before.
im in israel so not even a possibility. but I didnt grow up with such a possibility even in my mind ever.

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 7:38 am
We hold that if they are working for you full time you can use them for yom tov. We never used a cleaning lady for Shabbos. Others hold you can hire cleaning help for just yom tov. Some hold that if you have a full time nanny, they can watch your children and do what you can on Shabbos.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 7:43 am
WHile I am not in this situation, many people with live in housekeepers have them stay through shabbat and give them off sunday/monday etc. A weekly wage is paid. Some people with day help do the same. That is the day most people are in the home and most help is needed re: dish washing and cleaning up after guests, so they feel why not give a lighter day as the day off.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 7:53 am
What exactly are you asking? My cleaning lady works 3 times a week and if it's yom tov that day, she comes if I want. I do it, others do it. What else do you want to know?

Smile1234

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 8:39 am
I personally don't, but I also live in Israel and have seen many people with cleaning help on shabbos and yt. Its possible here just like it is in any other country. Not everyone here is Jewish. My old neighbor had a philipino who very happily turned our succah light on when we forgot...

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 8:41 am
My cleaning help works for me shabbos, yom tov, Yom Kippur, whenever I need. I hire her more on yom tov than I normally do, because I need her more than. Why is it not an option in Israel?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 8:46 am
mommy2b2c wrote:
My cleaning help works for me shabbos, yom tov, Yom Kippur, whenever I need. I hire her more on yom tov than I normally do, because I need her more than. Why is it not an option in Israel?
I live in a yishuv. my cleaner lives I jerusalem. there are no buses running from jerusalem to anywhere on shabbat or chagim. so no way to get here. its like that with buses in most places in israel.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 8:48 am
Smile1234 wrote:
I personally don't, but I also live in Israel and have seen many people with cleaning help on shabbos and yt. Its possible here just like it is in any other country. Not everyone here is Jewish. My old neighbor had a philipino who very happily turned our succah light on when we forgot...
it works here if the person is already at your home and if they are not a jewish cleaner.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 8:48 am
yo'ma wrote:
What exactly are you asking? My cleaning lady works 3 times a week and if it's yom tov that day, she comes if I want. I do it, others do it. What else do you want to know?
I just assumed that ppl did not employ their cleaners on shabbat or chagim.

etky

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 8:54 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

Interesting. I also always assumed that, unless talking about a live-in.
Do they do their regular chores or other things?

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 9:24 am
as long as they work for you during the week as well it is not an issue. My cleaner comes on yom tov. She doesn't vacuum or use the dishwasher but she tidies up, washes up, (thats usually the biggest job) sweeps, etc

amother

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 9:28 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

Most of my friends have help on Shabbat and Yom Tov, especially if they have guests. Every time I think, "why does it seem so much more difficult for me to have guests than everyone else," it occurs to me, "oh, yeah, because they have someone to clean before and after."

flowerpower

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 11:08 am
Some people do and some don't. On yom tov it's more common than on Shabbos.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 11:09 am
I had never heard of this before the internet, unless one means a live in.

Clarissa

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 11:22 am
We’d never have her come on Shabbos or Yom Tov. If we’re going to have guests for YT I might schedule her for another day if her day falls on YT, if she’s available. Otherwise I deal with it. We don’t have anybody do any kind of work here on those days unless it’s an emergency like an overflowing toilet. and the guys who fix that are building employees and don’t charge.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 1:15 pm
I live in lakewood and have not heard of people having cleaning ladies show up on y"t until I moved here.

At first I thought there was something terribly wrong with that and believed that I would never do that.

Well, here I am 10 yrs later and I can attest to how helpful it is to have someone come on yom tov and clean up!

She washes the dishes, puts things away, takes out the garbage, picks up clothing and makes beds in kids rooms, puts away the toys .... I guess I am not so good at housekeeping. She really makes my yom tov more enjoyable as I really appreciate a clean home. Of course there's no vacuuming or laundry but what she does do is a big help. I only hire her for 2 hours on y"t so it's not even that expensive.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 1:24 pm
A non-Jewish employee may do anything for you on Shabbos or Yom Tov that can be done without doing melacha. If she chooses to do melacha because it makes it easier for her, that is her choice.

So, for example, on Yom Tov you are allowed to wash dishes without a sponge, but you don't have to tell your help not to use a sponge.

(We also seem to think that it's okay for her to do dishes on Yom Tov Rishon after the day meal, even though we ourselves wouldn't wash them until the evening on Yom Tov Sheini. But I'm not sure if we're right. I think it's because we don't tell her what to do, she just figures out that the house should be clean and decides by herself what needs doing. So if you're thinking of having help, please AYLOR.)

Something that makes noise (dishwasher, vacuum cleaner) is probably different - although those jobs could be done without the appliance, it's easier for her with them. However, something that makes noise may have a different status in halacha, and one should ask their own Rov.

I agree that my Yom Tov is totally different when I don't have to worry about cleaning up. Of course my help is happier not to lose those days of work too, although she's not so happy if she doesn't have a full day of work (e.g. the other ladies who she works for don't need her), and sometimes she doesn't want to use her babysitter if it's only a couple of hours.

ruchelbuckle

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 5:56 pm
I spent the whole YT days of sukkos wondering why I didn't have my cleaning lady come for 1.5 -2 hours in the am!! Seriously, even though I used a lot of paper goods, there was still a lot of cleaning up to do. Between dealing with my kids, cleaning up,setting up and preparing for the daytime seuda, I worked non stop from about 8:30am until noon. Of course I needed a vacation after Y"t!

ETA: I once heard a shiur on "Amira L'akum" (asking a non Jew to do things for you on shabbos). There are many variables in the halacha,and its k'dai for anyone who wants to hire cleaning help on shabbos or y"t to speak it over with her Rov, and not to rely on the opinions of the Poskim of imamother. Smile

Last edited by ruchelbuckle on Wed, Dec 03 2014, 6:11 pm; edited 2 times in total

myself

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 6:04 pm
I was told that you can employ someone over Shabbos or Yom Tov if they will be working for you before or after Yom Tov too. That's so you are not just paying for a Shabbos service as that could be problematic.

On one occasion when I had a newborn I had my cleaning lady come on Yom Tov. She also came later on in the week and I paid her then for both days.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 6:08 pm
My housekeeper can't afford to have so many unpaid days off, so I have her work shorter hours on chagim.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics