Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby Dress From Wedding, Save or Give Away

amother

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 7:35 am
For my SIL's wedding, I bought my baby a fancy dress. It is nothing so special. It is from Carters and costed around $20.00 but it is nice and fancy. The question is, should I save it or should I give it to a gemach? I live in an Israeli community and someone might really enjoy the dress. But, on the other hand, I am thinking that I might want to hold on to it. But, then, I cannot predict the future and have no idea if it will ever be used again.

What would you do?

pickle321

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 7:41 am
amother wrote:
For my SIL's wedding, I bought my baby a fancy dress. It is nothing so special. It is from Carters and costed around $20.00 but it is nice and fancy. The question is, should I save it or should I give it to a gemach? I live in an Israeli community and someone might really enjoy the dress. But, on the other hand, I am thinking that I might want to hold on to it. But, then, I cannot predict the future and have no idea if it will ever be used again.

What would you do?

If it was only 20$ I think it's worth donating it. If something else comes up you can always buy a new one.

working hard

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 9:47 am
$20 is a lot of money!! I saved the gown! my daughter wore to my sister's wedding. She ended out wearing it to 3 more weddings!! I would more make it into a private gemach, meaning I would let neighbors/friends know that I have a gown of size x, color x, available if anyone needs it. This way, others can benefit and you will be able to use it as well.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 2:32 am
working hard wrote:
$20 is a lot of money!! I saved the gown! my daughter wore to my sister's wedding. She ended out wearing it to 3 more weddings!! I would more make it into a private gemach, meaning I would let neighbors/friends know that I have a gown of size x, color x, available if anyone needs it. This way, others can benefit and you will be able to use it as well.

I agree. $20.00 is a significant amount of money. If I had paid $5.00, the dress would probably be in a gemach in a heartbeat Smile The thing is, I don't think my baby is going to wear it again, unless I stuff it on her this Shabbos. It's washable, but it's a jumper and if I put anything warm on her legs, it's going to make the dress look silly. Also, I don't have any weddings in the near future and she's just about to grow out of that size.
I like your idea of lending it out, but retaining ownership, although it is much more of a hassle for me. Maybe I'll try that and if it doesn't work, I'll think more about donating it. It's just hard not knowing the future! If I knew that I would have another baby girl wearing that size, I would hold on to it. But, I really don't want it to just sit in a box and go to waste!

devash1

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 10:55 am
I would donate it, styles change so often, and in the meantime someone would really appreciate getting it at a gemach. I find everytime I donate something, I manage to find something else I was looking for at a good price, of course there's no guantee, but it's a mitzah either way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics