Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How can I help my children become more expressive

amother

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 9:42 pm
In the past few weeks I have had two different teachers in two different schools tell me that my children have a difficult time expressing themselves My kids are 6 and 4. They are each acting out in school in different ways and the schools feel that their acting out is partially caused by their inability to express and identify their own feelings to others. I am feeling guilty about this because I blame myself since I am a very closed person and probably do not express my emotions in front of them as much as I should. What can I do to help them express themselves?

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 9:56 pm
You may find books like this helpful: Stories Straight from Avi's Heart
Wonderful DDIL reads these stories to my toddler granddaughter, and it's amazing what a vocabulary of words relating to emotions she's developed!

acccdac

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 10:01 pm
start being more open.

doesnt need to be private or personal.

at dinner you can say
"at the market today the checkout person was so nice. She made me smile and that made me happy. Did anything happen to you today that made you happy?"

or

"today I was driving and the person in front of me kept on driving weird and that made me angry. I wanted to yell at the driver but I realized that would be mean, so I took deep breaths until I was able to say that I dont want to scream anymore. Do you ever feel that way?"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics