Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
ISO BEST meat cut for making Delicious CHULENT
1  2  Next

medola

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 9:37 am
What is the best meat to use in making cholent? I can never keep it straight. Sometning so it's not too hard or stringy... I always brown it first too. Maybe ribs on the bone? Or is it flanken? Or brisket? Beef stew meat always seems to come out too chewy. Please help!

Any other cholent tips, tricks and secrets welcome!

heidi

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 9:46 am
I learned long ago that it's not so much the type of meat as the quantity-- the more the better. I use flanken (short ribs) and sometimes cheek meat and as long as I put in alot the chulent is gone. When I've tried to skimp the chulent doesn't get eaten.

4thebooks

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 9:59 am
CHEEK MEAT its a bit expensive but it pays, until I got it straight I always had hard dry meat. I usually sauté onions and fresh garlic then I add marrow bones and the other big bones that have a little meat on it then cheek then I add my beans I only use white beans cuz I found the kidney and cholent mix messed up our stomachs so I only go with great northern and baby lima. then I add a potato and some barley. Make sure the meat is fully covered with water and rest of ing. if you put it on top it will most likely dry out. add some water and spices and cook.. mmmm Yumm I love cholent! I usually add a little honey black pepper and salt.

Enjoy and let me know how it came out!

Heyaaa

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 10:36 am
I agree cheek meat is the best by far.

Pp said that she sautes her onions and garlic and other people I know like to sear their Meat before adding it but if you start your cholent late Thursday night and keep it on high until Friday afternoon at which point you lower the heat, you achieve the same goal of caramelizing those ingredients.

medola

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 10:47 am
Interesting. Never heard of using this so called cheek meat! But if that's the consensus then I'll give it a go! :-D
My cholent comes a out delicious IMNSHO but I often skimp on the meat or use bones plus hot dogs. I am just not a "meaty" so I never really took the time to figure that element out. Full disclosure - I was actually crazy enough to enter my cholent into to little taste testing competition lol! (So I want the good stuff this time!)

Ok here's my question- do I need to cut up the cheek meat, or maybe have the butcher cut it into cubes for me? Or do you just put it in and it comes apart on its own??

tova7

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 10:57 am
Baby kolechol comes out very soft too.

medola

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 11:21 am
Tova what is that? veal?

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 12:10 pm
I've tried different types - of course always looking to save $$$ but flanken makes a big difference in the chulent. It's not only the meat itself which comes out so soft it just adds something to the chulent in general. Also marrow bones do something to make the chulent special. I used to suatee the meat first in onion and spices but I dont so that anymore and it's still good. I have heard from experts the cheek meat comes out superb in chulent but when I priced it I just could't spend that much. So I use flanken and stay away from stew type meat chunks. No need to cut up the flanken first. You can just use a spoon when dishing it out and you will get good chunks with zero effort after it's cooked.

chillax

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 12:13 pm
Cheek meat is definitely the way to go!

Miri7

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 12:17 pm
My DH is th chulent-maker in our home and he uses flanken. It is delicious. Not sure if he's tried cheek meat, but will suggest it since so many folks here say it's the way to go. I think that the bones in the flanken add a lot of flavor and richness.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 12:26 pm
Another vote for cheek meat. DH swears by it. Even my kids have no problem eating it, it's so soft!

It doesn't give chulent much of a flavor, though, so I also use flanken. Three bone flanken are better than the anemic four bone cuts. I also throw in a marrow bone or two, but will probably have to cut down on that if cholesterol is ever a health concern.

Don't cut the cheek much before cooking, it's very soft once cooked and easy to divide.

ETA: Cheek meat is not always easy to find and they sometimes limit how much you can take at a time.

gittelchana

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 2:21 pm
I'll add my vote for cheek meat.

Put it in whole.

Esther23

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 4:53 pm
Flanken is excellent in chulent and marrow bones add delicious flavor.

mommyof2cuties

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 5:33 pm
Another vote for cheek meat here!
I was also just told about Jachnun. It is yummy!

with a smile :)

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 5:36 pm
short ribs

INSPIREME

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 9:09 pm
Pastrami Brick Roast

oliveoil

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 10:16 pm
cheek meat

chilax

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 10:28 pm
Cheek meat- it's fail proof