Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Be careful with roaming charges!!!

amother

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 10:02 am
I know of someone personally who was very laxed and within a few days racked up $1000 in roaming charges. I know of someone else who used it, but for very minor things like the weather and mail and within 2 days, $800.

anon becasue some might figure out who the personal one is and they don't need to know they did that.

Smile1234

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 10:52 am
Can you specify where the charges were incurred and for what kind of usage?

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 11:02 am
amother wrote:
I know of someone personally who was very laxed and within a few days racked up $1000 in roaming charges. I know of someone else who used it, but for very minor things like the weather and mail and within 2 days, $800.

anon becasue some might figure out who the personal one is and they don't need to know they did that.

How do you know they did that when they don't even know they did that?

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 11:08 am
They can most definitely bring their phone bills down by discussing it with their carriers, but it is best to always contact your cell phone carriers before going on vacation. There are plans you can add on for $20-$100 that will significantly reduce your roaming charges. If those plans are not good for you, there are companies that offer travel phones for great prices as well.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 11:38 am
Smile1234 wrote:
Can you specify where the charges were incurred and for what kind of usage?

One was in the US and the other in France. I only know the one in the US and it was for using the internet, not with wifi.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 11:39 am
Squishy wrote:
How do you know they did that when they don't even know they did that?

They know now, not while doing it.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 11:40 am
amother wrote:
One was in the US and the other in France. I only know the one in the US and it was for using the internet, not with wifi.

That's Data overage. That should have been disclosed to them when they purchased the phone.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 11:42 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
They can most definitely bring their phone bills down by discussing it with their carriers, but it is best to always contact your cell phone carriers before going on vacation. There are plans you can add on for $20-$100 that will significantly reduce your roaming charges. If those plans are not good for you, there are companies that offer travel phones for great prices as well.

The one that I know from the two people I mentioned has a travelling phone, but not with internet and that's where he used his home phone.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 11:43 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
That's Data overage. That should have been disclosed to them when they purchased the phone.

They knew it, but sometimes you think it's not going to cost that much for nothing and it does. Okay, data overage. I don't know the terms.

sky

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 12:48 pm
we just traveled. Best way to protect yourself is to disable Cellular data on your phone when roaming.

Airplane mode is sometimes better because it blocks all data, voice and texting.
Blocking Cellular data blocks data and often has an option to block roaming voice as well. This still allows incoming and outgoing text messages - for me there was no cost and was a great convenience. It did block text pics as that is data.

Interestingly, iphone to iphone is treated as data - so I received texts from those without iphones but from my contacts with iphones I didn't recieve all texts. (and some of those I really needed. My texts outgoing were working but incoming was not.)

If you have text you can try texting a place like chacha (is that still around?) and ask for weather, traffic, border wait times, sun set times, phone numbers, hotel address, etc. They aren't always accurate or helpful. but I used it a few years ago for this and it worked. Now I text family.

Last edited by sky on Thu, Dec 04 2014, 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 12:49 pm
sky wrote:

Interestingly, iphone to iphone is treated as data - so I received texts from those without iphones but from my contacts with iphones I didn't recieve all texts. (and some of those I really needed. My texts outgoing were working but incoming was not.)

There is a way to disable that as well. I know because I did it, but don't remember how. Some option called "send/receive as text message."

Last edited by Scrabble123 on Thu, Dec 04 2014, 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

sky

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 12:50 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
There is a way to disable that as well. I know because I did it, but don't remember how. Some option called "send/accept as text message."

Thanks I'll look into that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics